No "XFL" usage in podcast names?

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: No "XFL" usage in podcast names?

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:50 am
Firecop wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:15 am IMO, whoever is advising them in PR, is doing so badly. We have hung with them through thick and thin, and yet, no bones get tossed our way.
I tend to agree with you FC, for sure. I am more pragmatic on this, in that I can see how the podcasts that rebranded were probably fishing for guests from the XFL ranks, and the gatekeepers at the league told them their podcast brand was no longer welcome. It could have been a lower level person who made this call, or it may have come from the top.

"No bones get tossed" is a truth, both now and in the past. The league has generally not been helpful for non-mainstream media for years, and did not seeing the value in the following they get from fan sites. Although in 2020 we were progressing well to a positive relationship, it all came to halt, as you know.

In 2001, we got some love from the team level, and got close to certain teams like Birmingham, Orlando, Las Vegas and New York/New Jersey, and were invited to send our reporters to report as accredited media. This is where Mike Mitchell started out, sitting in the press box at a Hitmen game. In 2020, we got more love from the league, and they recognized us. We had reporters in every stadium except St. Louis, as we were told their press box was too full to accommodate us.(A bit of BS there). The league media manager would talk to me, express her concerns, tell me what we could do to help out. It was a positive relationship. Now, coming up to 2023, we are back in the dark. I won't even ask the league for an interview because I already know the answer, which will be silence.
So you haven't tried at all?
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

4th&long wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:15 pm
DavedaHammer wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:35 pm
4th&long wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:41 pm

Agreed Rock isn't calling the shots, he's a front man.
The Rock must've signed on to it. He is more than a front, he's the owner, a hands-on owner at that with his appearances at it's showcases, ESPN, press announcements.
That's what a frontman does
Naw! David Lee Roth is a frontman, the Rock has skin in this game. He must've known the podcaster were going to get squeezed out. The Rock never guested on wrestling podcast when he was up and coming. He pbvious doesn't think highly of them and their reach
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

DavedaHammer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:07 am
DavedaHammer wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:35 pm
The Rock must've signed on to it. He is more than a front, he's the owner, a hands-on owner at that with his appearances at it's showcases, ESPN, press announcements.
Naw! David Lee Roth is a frontman, the Rock has skin in this game. He must've known the podcaster were going to get squeezed out. The Rock never guested on wrestling podcast when he was up and coming. He pbvious doesn't think highly of them and their reach
But The Rock was "up and coming" in the late 1990s. Podcasts weren't a thing until almost a decade later (of course its name coming from the now-discontinued iPod device).
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

Sounds like blackmail. But the trademark business is complicated. Maybe blackmail is allowed? What do I know.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:32 am
DavedaHammer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:07 am

But The Rock was "up and coming" in the late 1990s. Podcasts weren't a thing until almost a decade later (of course its name coming from the now-discontinued iPod device).
The Rock STILL never guested on podcasts after he was established. I use to listen to Live Audio Wrestling show through over the air Toronto radio stations(when LAW bounced from FAN 590 and TSN 1050). The Rock never appeared there. You'd hear him do pre-record promos taped from WWE telecasts.

I don't think the Rock thinks highly of podcasts