XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: QBs potentially available for XFL

Post by GDAWG »

Gopher123 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:36 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:03 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:44 am

I agree with this 100%. Maybe it wasn’t Kurt’s intention to sign with the XFL this fall but as 4th said, it seemed to be the XFL’s plan. It’s very possible the majority of qbs that start for the XFL this spring don’t join the league early this fall. If that’s the case, who is Jordan Palmer going to work with this fall? The backups? That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but I can’t believe that was the XFL’s intentions when they hired Palmer. Like most everything else over the last few years this could be interpreted differently. We know based off Benkert’s comments he was in demand by multiple teams in the XFL. I’m sure there are some qbs signed and perhaps already working with Palmer but we know of at least 5 qbs that aren’t.
Other than Benkert, I assume that 3 of them are Luis Perez, CJ Costello and Kyle Sloter? If not, who are the other 4?
The 5 who just worked out for the 49ers. Clearly they haven’t been working with Palmer and aren’t under XFL contract yet or else they couldn’t be working out for NFL teams.
it seemed unlikely that Mike Glennon would ever play in the XFL but the reason I put him on the list is because while it's slim we see him in the XFL, it wasn't impossible that he would consider the XFL, same for AJ McCarron. Let's put it this way, while both seem like longshots for the XFL, they were more likely than Cam Newton, which is why Newton isn't on the list.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:40 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:36 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:03 pm

Other than Benkert, I assume that 3 of them are Luis Perez, CJ Costello and Kyle Sloter? If not, who are the other 4?
The 5 who just worked out for the 49ers. Clearly they haven’t been working with Palmer and aren’t under XFL contract yet or else they couldn’t be working out for NFL teams.
it seemed unlikely that Mike Glennon would ever play in the XFL but the reason I put him on the list is because while it's slim we see him in the XFL, it wasn't impossible that he would consider the XFL, same for AJ McCarron. Let's put it this way, while both seem like longshots for the XFL, they were more likely than Cam Newton, which is why Newton isn't on the list.
I agree with you about Newton and Fitz. Past that if you know who is for sure or who is a long shot on that list you know more than me. I’m just going off of the available free agent qb list.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I guess my assumption was - and I may be wrong about this - the QBs working out with Palmer would be younger, less experienced ones (like D'Eriq King, Aqueel Glass, Geremy Hickbottom as examples, all of whom have been tied to the XFL). These would be ones less likely to get called by an NFL team for an in-season tryout and more likely to sign the contract required to work with Palmer.

They may or may not be the ones who would be one of the eight assigned QBs. I wasn't under the assumption that ALL eight assigned QBs would be the ones working with Palmer from the jump. If Benkert became available in, say, October, would the XFL deny him the opportunity to be an assigned QB because he didn't work with Palmer? Again, could be wrong on this.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I wonder if Alcorn State QB Felix Harper was on the XFL's radar before he signed with Montreal?
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GregParks wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:01 pm I guess my assumption was - and I may be wrong about this - the QBs working out with Palmer would be younger, less experienced ones (like D'Eriq King, Aqueel Glass, Geremy Hickbottom as examples, all of whom have been tied to the XFL). These would be ones less likely to get called by an NFL team for an in-season tryout and more likely to sign the contract required to work with Palmer.

They may or may not be the ones who would be one of the eight assigned QBs. I wasn't under the assumption that ALL eight assigned QBs would be the ones working with Palmer from the jump. If Benkert became available in, say, October, would the XFL deny him the opportunity to be an assigned QB because he didn't work with Palmer? Again, could be wrong on this.
This could be very much the case. I didn’t think necessarily ALL eight would be but I thought some would. My assumption that part of the benefit of Palmer’s involvement would be to have the qbs ready to perform at a higher level come February, instead of being “rusty”. The teams already submitted their lists to the league of the desired qbs, according to Benkert. My point was we know that as of now the XFL has no contract with those 5 qbs who just worked out with SF. Who Palmer was actually hired to work with is up for debate at this point.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Gopher123 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:38 pm
GregParks wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:01 pm I guess my assumption was - and I may be wrong about this - the QBs working out with Palmer would be younger, less experienced ones (like D'Eriq King, Aqueel Glass, Geremy Hickbottom as examples, all of whom have been tied to the XFL). These would be ones less likely to get called by an NFL team for an in-season tryout and more likely to sign the contract required to work with Palmer.

This could be very much the case. I didn’t think necessarily ALL eight would be but I thought some would. My assumption that part of the benefit of Palmer’s involvement would be to have the qbs ready to perform at a higher level come February, instead of being “rusty”. The teams already submitted their lists to the league of the desired qbs, according to Benkert. My point was we know that as of now the XFL has no contract with those 5 qbs who just worked out with SF. Who Palmer was actually hired to work with is up for debate at this point.
We can also assume that Alcorn State QB Felix Harper also did not have an XFL contract since he signed with the CFL's Montreal Alouettes.

As for who Palmer has worked with, names like Carson Strong, Jack Coan and Ben DiNucci could be options.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

But that's not how they PR'd it, XFL made it sound like they wanted top QBs signed in Sept and wanted to improve them by working with Jordan Palmer. "Because good QB play is important to fans" or something like that. I expect they will get who they can and use them for some PR.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:34 pm

But that's not how they PR'd it, XFL made it sound like they wanted top QBs signed in Sept and wanted to improve them by working with Jordan Palmer. "Because good QB play is important to fans" or something like that. I expect they will get who they can and use them for some PR.
I don’t think “top QBs” and “young and inexperienced” are necessarily mutually exclusive. One could in theory be both.
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:40 pm
And to be honest, when you look at those names, and how much they line up with the likes of Landry Jones, Josh Johnson and Matt McGloin who played in the XFL in 2020... they're not nearly the kinds of longshots one might expect. They're mostly guys whose ceiling was second string QB in the NFL but were out of work.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

I really don't think they would. You'd think they'd be looking for best player available (or maybe most famous non-geriatric player available) who fits their budget. And remember, Palmer's role with the XFL is "quarterback development." With a lot of the vets, you're basically getting a finished, developed product, and Palmer's services aren't as essential. I would think they'd be the kind of people who wouldn't throw obstacles in their own way with unnecessary mandates.