QBs potentially available for XFL

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: QBs potentially available for XFL

Post by MarkNelson »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:39 pm There are probably a few teams in the CFL interested in Bo Levi Mitchell if he wants to leave Calgary and I think he'll explore those options first.
You bet he may look to be traded to another CFL squad, and here is why: On February 12, 2019, Mitchell re-signed with the Calgary Stampeders, in a four-year deal worth $2.8 million.

That's a pretty juicy deal if you can get it, and Bo Levi is a stud at QB. Something is hampering his ability this season. It might be hard to get another CFL team to take on that contract. Will the XFL pay $700K Canadian ($530k USD) for a year as a quarterback? It might come close if Bo would be deemed a starter. But that is a stretch for a 32 year old.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:27 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:39 pm There are probably a few teams in the CFL interested in Bo Levi Mitchell if he wants to leave Calgary and I think he'll explore those options first.
You bet he may look to be traded to another CFL squad, and here is why: On February 12, 2019, Mitchell re-signed with the Calgary Stampeders, in a four-year deal worth $2.8 million.

That's a pretty juicy deal if you can get it, and Bo Levi is a stud at QB. Something is hampering his ability this season. It might be hard to get another CFL team to take on that contract. Will the XFL pay $700K Canadian ($530k USD) for a year as a quarterback? It might come close if Bo would be deemed a starter. But that is a stretch for a 32 year old.
Considering the 2020 XFL was paying $495K a year (presuming a full season) for starting QBs in 2020, it's in the realm of plausibility. That is, if that kind of money is still in the ballpark of what the current owners are willing and able to pay.

And if they can pay Brandon Silvers, a third-string QB at the AAF level, that kind of money, it'd be worth it to take a shot at Bo Levi.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:32 pm
MarkNelson wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:27 pm

Considering the 2020 XFL was paying $495K a year (presuming a full season) for starting QBs in 2020, it's in the realm of plausibility. That is, if that kind of money is still in the ballpark of what the current owners are willing and able to pay.

And if they can pay Brandon Silvers, a third-string QB at the AAF level, that kind of money, it'd be worth it to take a shot at Bo Levi.
But this isn't the XFL 2.0. It's an all new league with a familar name and teams - like the new USFL.

We'll have to wait and see what the QB group is.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Kurt Benkert is working out for the Chicago Bears:

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/ ... t-benkert/
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:22 pm Kurt Benkert is working out for the Chicago Bears:

And this is why I don’t think the XFL is going to announce their quarterbacks until more like November. Even if Jordan Palmer is working with someone as early as September, they aren’t going to announce it, IMO. The minute an NFL practice squad opportunity opens up this early in the season, many will be gone.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Gopher123 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:21 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:22 pm Kurt Benkert is working out for the Chicago Bears:

And this is why I don’t think the XFL is going to announce their quarterbacks until more like November. Even if Jordan Palmer is working with someone as early as September, they aren’t going to announce it, IMO. The minute an NFL practice squad opportunity opens up this early in the season, many will be gone.
Whaley mentioned those QBs who will be working with Palmer will be signed to a league contract and won't be eligible to play for NFL teams during that time.
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GregParks wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:22 pm

Whaley mentioned those QBs who will be working with Palmer will be signed to a league contract and won't be eligible to play for NFL teams during that time.
Ahhh I didn’t remember that, thanks. Even so, they haven’t announced anything else any too early, (accept for playing in Las Vegas with still no definite stadium deal yet), I’m still going with a date closer to November.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Gopher123 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:31 pm
GregParks wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:22 pm

Ahhh I didn’t remember that, thanks. Even so, they haven’t announced anything else any too early, (accept for playing in Las Vegas with still no definite stadium deal yet), I’m still going with a date closer to November.
We'll probably know the names before November, just not the teams that they are going to play for.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

Bo would sooner retire based on injuries piling up on him. TSN would scoop him up to replace Matt Dunnigan, who's history of concussions have caught up to him on telecasts
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Saints sign Jake Luton to practice squad.