QBs potentially available for XFL

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: QBs potentially available for XFL

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

That is a bad blow to the XFL, to have a guy openly talk up the league, then bail for a practice squad gig at the first opportunity. It just goes to show that you're not getting player 54, you're getting player 68.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:16 pm That is a bad blow to the XFL, to have a guy openly talk up the league, then bail for a practice squad gig at the first opportunity. It just goes to show that you're not getting player 54, you're getting player 68.
He might not be on a PS by the time the final all-in-or-jump-off point for the draft comes. Niners go from NFC West favorite to in some ish if something happens to JG. Hell they were iffy with Lance, think there's any way they let Purdy or Benkert run the pivot?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I'm not sure this changes a whole lot, at least, not yet: in his podcast interview, Benkert said he'd likely choose the XFL over signing a futures deal which is what he might (emphasis on MIGHT) get offered if he finishes the season on the practice squad. Of course, if he gets signed to an active roster, that would change the equation.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:06 pm I'm not sure this changes a whole lot, at least, not yet: in his podcast interview, Benkert said he'd likely choose the XFL over signing a futures deal which is what he might (emphasis on MIGHT) get offered if he finishes the season on the practice squad. Of course, if he gets signed to an active roster, that would change the equation.
It changes the fact that he won't be signed this fall - that wasn't the XFL's plan for QBs. And if 49ers make playoffs, the last regular season NFL game is Jan 8th and if the 49ers make the playoffs he's not available for the camp.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:17 pm
GregParks wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:06 pm I'm not sure this changes a whole lot, at least, not yet: in his podcast interview, Benkert said he'd likely choose the XFL over signing a futures deal which is what he might (emphasis on MIGHT) get offered if he finishes the season on the practice squad. Of course, if he gets signed to an active roster, that would change the equation.
It changes the fact that he won't be signed this fall - that wasn't the XFL's plan for QBs. And if 49ers make playoffs, the last regular season NFL game is Jan 8th and if the 49ers make the playoffs he's not available for the camp.
Based on his comments on the podcast, he was never going to be one of the QBs to sign this fall and work with Jordan Palmer, if that’s what you’re referring to. He was always going to continue to take workouts and try to get an NFL job.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:42 pm
Based on his comments on the podcast, he was never going to be one of the QBs to sign this fall and work with Jordan Palmer, if that’s what you’re referring to. He was always going to continue to take workouts and try to get an NFL job.
I'm sure that's true... All QBs will. But from XFL's perspective they do need QBs to sign this fall as per their PR.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:55 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:16 pm That is a bad blow to the XFL, to have a guy openly talk up the league, then bail for a practice squad gig at the first opportunity. It just goes to show that you're not getting player 54, you're getting player 68.
He might not be on a PS by the time the final all-in-or-jump-off point for the draft comes. Niners go from NFC West favorite to in some ish if something happens to JG. Hell they were iffy with Lance, think there's any way they let Purdy or Benkert run the pivot?
The NFL Trade deadline is on November 1st. If Jimmy G goes down, there are three options. The first option: sign one of the other guys that they worked out, such as AJ McCarron, Mike Glennon or Kevin Hogan. The second option is to trade for somebody like Teddy Bridgewater or Gardner Minshew. Option three is Cam Newton.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

I agree with this 100%. Maybe it wasn’t Kurt’s intention to sign with the XFL this fall but as 4th said, it seemed to be the XFL’s plan. It’s very possible the majority of qbs that start for the XFL this spring don’t join the league early this fall. If that’s the case, who is Jordan Palmer going to work with this fall? The backups? That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but I can’t believe that was the XFL’s intentions when they hired Palmer. Like most everything else over the last few years this could be interpreted differently. We know based off Benkert’s comments he was in demand by multiple teams in the XFL. I’m sure there are some qbs signed and perhaps already working with Palmer but we know of at least 5 qbs that aren’t.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Gopher123 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:44 am
I agree with this 100%. Maybe it wasn’t Kurt’s intention to sign with the XFL this fall but as 4th said, it seemed to be the XFL’s plan. It’s very possible the majority of qbs that start for the XFL this spring don’t join the league early this fall. If that’s the case, who is Jordan Palmer going to work with this fall? The backups? That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but I can’t believe that was the XFL’s intentions when they hired Palmer. Like most everything else over the last few years this could be interpreted differently. We know based off Benkert’s comments he was in demand by multiple teams in the XFL. I’m sure there are some qbs signed and perhaps already working with Palmer but we know of at least 5 qbs that aren’t.
Other than Benkert, I assume that 3 of them are Luis Perez, CJ Costello and Kyle Sloter? If not, who are the other 4?
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:03 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:44 am

Other than Benkert, I assume that 3 of them are Luis Perez, CJ Costello and Kyle Sloter? If not, who are the other 4?
The 5 who just worked out for the 49ers. Clearly they haven’t been working with Palmer and aren’t under XFL contract yet or else they couldn’t be working out for NFL teams.