QBs potentially available for XFL

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: QBs potentially available for XFL

Post by GregParks »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:21 am
The XFL has probably at least 16 qbs left to sign. I think many of the eventual starters are currently on NFL rosters. Those will be the names you will be looking for.
Do you mean practice squads? Because I find it hard to believe enough QBs currently on NFL rosters will be let go between now and January AND sign with the XFL to fill out multiple starting QBs jobs in the league. Even coming from practice squads might be a stretch. NFL QBs drop more and more the deeper you get into the season, which means more and more backup-types/starting-caliber XFL QBs will at least get signed to be third-stringers on the practice squad.

From where I sit, these are the places XFL QBs will come from:

-Obviously, those working with Jordan Palmer.
-Players who've already been invited to the draft pool - XFL backup or third-string types who don't even rise to the level of qualifying to work with Palmer. In other words, those off the radar who perhaps impressed at the Showcases, or come from the IFL or other, smaller leagues. Similar to non-assigned QBs in 2019 XFL Draft.
-QBs who are currently unemployed but going through workouts with NFL teams during the season. Perhaps as we get closer to the winter, if they are still out of work, they may opt for the XFL and become available in a supplemental draft in Dec or Jan.
-QBs from the USFL who choose to cross over (Bryan Scott?) who won't be eligible until the first of the year (potential Jan. supplemental draft)
-Those currently on NFL practice squads who aren't signed to futures deals after the NFL season or who spurn futures deals to sign with the XFL.

The highest-quality QBs will likely arrive the latest - Dec. or Jan. It will be interesting to see how easy/difficult it will be for them to win jobs in training camp if they join the league very late.
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GregParks wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:50 am
The XFL has probably at least 16 qbs left to sign. I think many of the eventual starters are currently on NFL rosters. Those will be the names you will be looking for.
Do you mean practice squads? Because I find it hard to believe enough QBs currently on NFL rosters will be let go between now and January AND sign with the XFL to fill out multiple starting QBs jobs in the league. Even coming from practice squads might be a stretch. NFL QBs drop more and more the deeper you get into the season, which means more and more backup-types/starting-caliber XFL QBs will at least get signed to be third-stringers on the practice squad.

-Players who've already been invited to the draft pool - XFL backup or third-string types who don't even rise to the level of qualifying to work with Palmer. In other words, those off the radar who perhaps impressed at the Showcases, or come from the IFL or other, smaller leagues. Similar to non-assigned QBs in 2019 XFL Draft.
-QBs who are currently unemployed but going through workouts with NFL teams during the season. Perhaps as we get closer to the winter, if they are still out of work, they may opt for the XFL and become available in a supplemental draft in Dec or Jan.
-QBs from the USFL who choose to cross over (Bryan Scott?) who won't be eligible until the first of the year (potential Jan. supplemental draft)
-Those currently on NFL practice squads who aren't signed to futures deals after the NFL season or who spurn futures deals to sign with the XFL.

The highest-quality QBs will likely arrive the latest - Dec. or Jan. It will be interesting to see how easy/difficult it will be for them to win jobs in training camp if they join the league very late.
Yes, my mistake. I meant current NFL practice squads. I feel many may choose to sign with the XFL as opposed to signing a futures deal with the team they are currently on. Like Kurt Benkert alluded to. I’m not saying they will get 16 from here but I don’t think 4-6 that end up being starters is out of the question. This would give the league more marketable names than the ones they have now.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:09 am

Yes, my mistake. I meant current NFL practice squads. I feel many may choose to sign with the XFL as opposed to signing a futures deal with the team they are currently on. Like Kurt Benkert alluded to. I’m not saying they will get 16 from here but I don’t think 4-6 that end up being starters is out of the question. This would give the league more marketable names than the ones they have now.
I think I've probably posted this stat before, but in 2020, 12 players total finished the year on NFL practice squads and eventually moved over to the XFL (including 2 QBs - Joe Callahan and Chad Kanoff). Of those 12, five were drafted into the XFL in October because they were FAs at the time, and later signed on to practice squads. Who knows, maybe the XFL gets more this time around for whatever reason (and with bigger practice squads now, chance of a higher number of players not signing futures contracts), but even 4-6 starting QBs out of that bunch strikes me as a lot.
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GregParks wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:29 am

I think I've probably posted this stat before, but in 2020, 12 players total finished the year on NFL practice squads and eventually moved over to the XFL (including 2 QBs - Joe Callahan and Chad Kanoff). Of those 12, five were drafted into the XFL in October because they were FAs at the time, and later signed on to practice squads. Who knows, maybe the XFL gets more this time around for whatever reason (and with bigger practice squads now, chance of a higher number of players not signing futures contracts), but even 4-6 starting QBs out of that bunch strikes me as a lot.
It strikes you as a lot because you don’t think the XFL can sign that many overall off of practice squads or because you don’t think that many can earn starting jobs?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:50 pm

It strikes you as a lot because you don’t think the XFL can sign that many overall off of practice squads or because you don’t think that many can earn starting jobs?
The former - I provided examples from 2020 for why I believe that to be true, and XFL pay for top QBs this time around will likely be similar to 2020, as is my understanding.

Though as I mentioned in an earlier post, if they do sign a few, it will likely be as XFL training camps are ongoing (NFL regular season ends 1/1; XFL training camps begin 1/8 or 1/9), so if you're a QB on a playoff team, you'll be joining the XFL camps in progress which may make it more difficult to win a job (though not impossible especially if the skill level of PS QBs is that much more advanced than those QBs already in camp).
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GregParks wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:37 pm
The former - I provided examples from 2020 for why I believe that to be true, and XFL pay for top QBs this time around will likely be similar to 2020, as is my understanding.

Though as I mentioned in an earlier post, if they do sign a few, it will likely be as XFL training camps are ongoing (NFL regular season ends 1/1; XFL training camps begin 1/8 or 1/9), so if you're a QB on a playoff team, you'll be joining the XFL camps in progress which may make it more difficult to win a job (though not impossible especially if the skill level of PS QBs is that much more advanced than those QBs already in camp).
If that’s the case, then I would tend to agree with the second part of Johnny’s post. How good could their negotiation skills be to only land a few off the practice squads? I would be disappointed for sure. I get your point about the number from 2020 but I’m not sure how hard they pushed to get anyone from the practice squads after those original 8 were signed in November. I thought that was the point of having more supplemental drafts in December/January is to try and get them. IMO, In 2020, it was a harder sell because many viewed the XFL as a Mickey Mouse league thanks to 2001. It was rumored some qbs got high six figures then and if they pay the same now, I can’t imagine them not pulling in more than a few for that. I also think most qbs coming off of NFL practice squads, who were there for a few months could get up to speed fairly quick in an XFL system. Who knows? Maybe I’m wrong or maybe I have the bar too high.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

NFL regular season actually ends on Jan 8th not the 1st. 12 of 14 playoff teams will be playing on Jan 15th w/e (wildcard) and 8 teams will be playing on Jan 22nd week (divisional). There is no gap and with playoffs, there is slight overlap into XFL camp even for non-playoff teams.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:47 pm

NFL regular season actually ends on Jan 8th not the 1st. 12 of 14 playoff teams will be playing on Jan 15th w/e (wildcard) and 8 teams will be playing on Jan 22nd week (divisional). There is no gap and with playoffs, there is slight overlap into XFL camp even for non-playoff teams.
You're right - I looked up week 17's schedule, forgetting that they added a 17th game and now have 18 weeks. Which makes my argument stronger on the difficulty of getting PS QBs signed and up to speed during XFL camps.

Gopher123 did bring up an interesting point that I hadn't thought about, wondering just how hard XFL 2020 went after those practice squad players at the end of the season. XFL 2020 had a much stronger group of assigned QBs than the league has right now, so maybe they didn't feel the need to target those PS QBs as much as this group may.
@gregmparks
mviglia
Linebacker

Post by mviglia »

Another source for QBs for the XFL is going to be the NFL Alumni Academy camps going on now through December. They've partnered with the XFL so that anyone who graduates the academy (completes camp) gets a guaranteed contract through XFL training camp, and can be picked up by a team. I wonder who's participating in those camps right now, is that public?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

mviglia wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:14 pm Another source for QBs for the XFL is going to be the NFL Alumni Academy camps going on now through December. They've partnered with the XFL so that anyone who graduates the academy (completes camp) gets a guaranteed contract through XFL training camp, and can be picked up by a team. I wonder who's participating in those camps right now, is that public?
No QB's were listed on the website for players for this set of camps and they do not have a former QB on their coaching staff....which is weird