QBs potentially available for XFL

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

QBs potentially available for XFL

Post by GDAWG »

NFL Free Agents: Anthony Gordon, Nate Stanley, Brandon Peters, KJ Costello, Cole Kelley
CFL Free Agents: Joe Mancuso, Khalil Tate, Chase Litton, Tom Flacco
Rookies: Nick Starkel, Jake Floriea

Now there is one name I left off the list who is an NFL free agent, but I left him off because there's not a chance he ever plays in the XFL. Sadly, he's probably done as both his 2020 and 2021 seasons were not great. I am talking about Cam Newton. He has not retired, but it seems unlikely he'll play again but if he does it will be in the NFL.
Last edited by GDAWG on Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Tank55
MVP

Re: QBs potentially available for XFL

Post by Tank55 »

What about Bo Levi Mitchell? I know he just got benched -- is he hurt or washed up or what?

He's a free agent at the end of this season. I think CFL contracts still expire in like the February after the season, so the timing is a problem. But certainly was an outstanding player at this level not that long ago. Played a few seasons for June Jones in college.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:19 pm What about Bo Levi Mitchell? I know he just got benched -- is he hurt or washed up or what?

He's a free agent at the end of this season. I think CFL contracts still expire in like the February after the season, so the timing is a problem. But certainly was an outstanding player at this level not that long ago. Played a few seasons for June Jones in college.
He had been hurt in 2019 and 2021 (there was no 2020 season) and has said that if he can't stay healthy he'll retire.

Also edited the list since Tim Boyle has returned to the Detroit Lions.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:22 pm NFL Free Agents: Blake Bortles, Mike Glennon, AJ McCarron, Jake Fromm, Garrett Gilbert, Anthony Gordon, James Morgan, Nate Stanley, Ryan Willis, Kurt Benkert, Brian Lewerke, Steven Montez, Kyle Sloter, Brandon Peters, Luis Perez, Brett Hundley, KJ Costello, Cole Kelley, Dustin Crum, Jake Luton, Drew Plitt, Carson Strong, Jack Coan, Ben DiNucci, Jarrett Guarantano
CFL Free Agents: Joe Mancuso, Khalil Tate, Chase Litton, Cole McDonald, Tom Flacco
Rookies: D'Eriq King, Levi Lewis, Kaleb Eleby, Aqeel Glass, Felix Harper, Nick Starkel, Davis Cheek, Jake Floriea

Now there is one name I left off the list who is an NFL free agent, but I left him off because there's not a chance he ever plays in the XFL. Sadly, he's probably done as both his 2020 and 2021 seasons were not great. I am talking about Cam Newton. He has not retired, but it seems unlikely he'll play again but if he does it will be in the NFL.
Levi Lewis just signed with the Saskatchewan Rough Riders of the CFL
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:19 pm What about Bo Levi Mitchell? I know he just got benched -- is he hurt or washed up or what?

Perhaps a bit premature year 1 but I don’t think the thought of someone like Bo leaving the CFL for the XFL is too far off base down the road. Someone of his stature would probably like to see the XFL get more established and on steadier ground but I think it’s very possible after a few years, if the XFL is successful. Of course, the XFL would have to be in on trying to get the best players available philosophy as opposed to being more focused on the #54’s. In terms of qbs we should get a better idea which route they are leaning come November, veterans or more developmental qb options.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Gopher123 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:46 am

Perhaps a bit premature year 1 but I don’t think the thought of someone like Bo leaving the CFL for the XFL is too far off base down the road. Someone of his stature would probably like to see the XFL get more established and on steadier ground but I think it’s very possible after a few years, if the XFL is successful. Of course, the XFL would have to be in on trying to get the best players available philosophy as opposed to being more focused on the #54’s. In terms of qbs we should get a better idea which route they are leaning come November, veterans or more developmental qb options.
Injury issues may force him to retire, but apparently he's been healthy this year, he just hasn't been good.

Also, I think we will know who the first set of QB's are this month, because when they hired Jordan Palmer, the press release said he would work with XFL QBs from September through December, which means that will know this month.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

DavedaHammer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:40 am
GDAWG wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:22 pm NFL Free Agents: Blake Bortles, Mike Glennon, AJ McCarron, Jake Fromm, Garrett Gilbert, Anthony Gordon, James Morgan, Nate Stanley, Ryan Willis, Kurt Benkert, Brian Lewerke, Steven Montez, Kyle Sloter, Brandon Peters, Luis Perez, Brett Hundley, KJ Costello, Cole Kelley, Dustin Crum, Jake Luton, Drew Plitt, Carson Strong, Jack Coan, Ben DiNucci, Jarrett Guarantano
CFL Free Agents: Joe Mancuso, Khalil Tate, Chase Litton, Cole McDonald, Tom Flacco
Rookies: D'Eriq King, Levi Lewis, Kaleb Eleby, Aqeel Glass, Felix Harper, Nick Starkel, Davis Cheek, Jake Floriea

Levi Lewis just signed with the Saskatchewan Rough Riders of the CFL
Edited. Also, the CFL cannot sign everyone on that list. The NFL may choose to bring some of these guys back in case of injuries.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

He honestly wouldn't even have to leave the CFL. He could play in the XFL (maybe in his hometown of Houston), bank some money, see how he feels, and then decide if he wants to head back to Canada. The hard part is getting into the XFL in time to get some practice reps and ready to play. Maybe he signs a coaching contract like SJ Green did with the Vipers.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Bo Levi Mitchell might consider leaving the Stampeders just because he was benched. It might be that simple.

https://3downnation.com/2022/08/24/bo-l ... -football/
Bo Levi Mitchell ‘frustrated’ with benching but believes Jake Maier will play ‘great, winning football’ for Stampeders
By 3Down Staff -August 24, 2022

Calgary Stampeders’ quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell has spoken out on Instagram after being benched in favour of Jake Maier.

I am obviously frustrated with the decision, any competitor would be. But.. I am a member of this team and I am not above coaching or criticism. I believe in Jake and believe he will play great, winning football. I’Il take the time to look at what I can do to make myself better which will ultimately make us a better team. I will be back on the field.

Mitchell was pulled at halftime of last week’s game against Toronto Argonauts after completing 9-of-16 pass attempts for 149 yards and two interceptions. He has since been relegated to a backup role as Jake Maier has been confirmed as the starter for Thursday’s game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The 32-year-old threw for over 275 yards in three of his first four starts this season but has struggled since, averaging just 179.6 yards per start over the past five games. He has thrown for 2,010 yards this season along with nine touchdowns and six interceptions.

Maier entered this past week’s game after halftime and completed 14-of-18 pass attempts for 156 yards and one interception, helping lead Calgary to a come-from-behind win. His start this week will be his first of the season.

The UC Davis product started three games as a rookie in 2021 while Mitchell was out due to a leg injury. He threw for 939 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions over those games, becoming the first quarterback in CFL history to throw for 300 yards in each of his first three starts.

The Stampeders current sit third in the West Division with a 6-3 record.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

There are probably a few teams in the CFL interested in Bo Levi Mitchell if he wants to leave Calgary and I think he'll explore those options first.