QBs potentially available for XFL

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: QBs potentially available for XFL

Post by GDAWG »

Gopher123 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:49 pm Saints sign Jake Luton to practice squad.
Updated
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Updates: Felix Harper signs with Montreal and the San Francisco 49ers will probably sign one of these QB's on the list now that Trey Lance is out for the year.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:09 pm Updates: Felix Harper signs with Montreal and the San Francisco 49ers will probably sign one of these QB's on the list now that Trey Lance is out for the year.
COLIN KAEPERNICK!!!!!!! (Oh the hilarity)

And this isn't even taking into account the probability of JG's shoulder acting up again, which takes out another one
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:16 pm
GDAWG wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:09 pm Updates: Felix Harper signs with Montreal and the San Francisco 49ers will probably sign one of these QB's on the list now that Trey Lance is out for the year.
COLIN KAEPERNICK!!!!!!! (Oh the hilarity)

And this isn't even taking into account the probability of JG's shoulder acting up again, which takes out another one
They will probably go for one of the vets on the list such as Blake Bortles, Mike Glennon or AJ McCarron or sign someone from the practice squad like Josh Rosen or Tim Boyle. It will probably be more of a veteran type of player.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... rterbacks/
With Trey Lance out for the season, the 49ers have only Jimmy Garoppolo and Brock Purdy available at quarterback on their roster.

They’ve set out to find at least one more.

According to the transaction wire, San Francisco worked out five quarterbacks on Tuesday: Kurt Benkert, Garrett Gilbert, Mike Glennon, Kevin Hogan, and AJ McCarron.

Of the five passers, Glennon has the most NFL playing experience. He has appeared in 40 games with 31 starts since entering the league as a third-round pick in 2013. While he’s started nine games over the past two seasons, he hasn’t won a start since 2017 when he was with Chicago.

Last year with the Giants, Glennon completed 54 percent of his passes for 790 yards with four touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

McCarron has appeared in 17 games with four starts, Hogan nine games with one start, Gilbert eight games with two starts, and Benkert one game.

While Garoppolo has been with the 49ers since the club acquired him in 2017, Purdy was a seventh-round pick in this year’s draft.

Lance underwent successful surgery to repair a fibula fracture and ligament disruption on Monday.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Mike Glennon, ouch. Coincidentally the guy who famously groused about signing him over Kaepernick (Akiem Hicks) went on IR today.

That said considering Garappolo's shoulder is still a question mark and they're right there with the Seahawks as far as running backs staying healthy, they should have at least gone Gilbert or McCarron
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

It wasn't like Glennon or McCarron were ever going to be in the XFL, but I put them on the list because they had a better chance of joining the XFL than Cam Newton.
Last edited by GDAWG on Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

I know, I mentioned Glennon as a reference point.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:59 pm
Selfishly, I’m disappointed. I would have loved to see what Benkert could have brought to the XFL, especially if he never makes it off the practice squad. However, it’s an NFL opportunity, and that’s hard to pass up. I’m really surprised they didn’t go with someone who has more NFL game experience but maybe he was just clearly better in the workout. I thought Garrett Gilbert was a strong candidate for the XFL as well but it’s September 20th and he clearly hasn’t signed a contract.