Kurt Benkert to the XFL?

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Kurt Benkert to the XFL?

Post by GregParks »

I know he's a name that a lot of XFL fans have pined for. I think he'd be a quality "get" of those QBs who are available.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Kurt Benkert to the XFL?

Post by GDAWG »

The list of those available, including Benkert:

Blake Bortles, Mike Glennon, AJ McCarron, Jake Fromm, Garrett Gilbert, Anthony Gordon, James Morgan, Nate Stanley, Ryan Willis, Kurt Benkert, Brian Lewerke, Steven Montez, Kyle Sloter, Brandon Peters, Luis Perez, Brett Hundley, KJ Costello, Cole Kelley, Dustin Crum, Jake Luton, Drew Plitt, Carson Strong, Jack Coan, Ben DiNucci, Tim Boyle, Jarrett Guarantano
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

What I remember of Kurt Benkert was the 2019 Hall of Fame Game. He kind of stood out as a young qb with promise until he got hurt. He’s not unlike most of the names on GDAWG’S list above. He’s shown flashes in preseason but one or two games, especially preseason games, doesn’t really mean anything. Many of these qbs have the talent, they just need to be developed. Some of course don’t. It’s up to the XFL to sort it out. This is where Jordan Palmer comes in very important.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GregParks wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:42 pm

I know he's a name that a lot of XFL fans have pined for. I think he'd be a quality "get" of those QBs who are available.
He’d be a huge get imo, star potential with his play on the field and a big personality the league could easily market
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Gopher123 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:14 am What I remember of Kurt Benkert was the 2019 Hall of Fame Game. He kind of stood out as a young qb with promise until he got hurt. He’s not unlike most of the names on GDAWG’S list above. He’s shown flashes in preseason but one or two games, especially preseason games, doesn’t really mean anything. Many of these qbs have the talent, they just need to be developed. Some of course don’t. It’s up to the XFL to sort it out. This is where Jordan Palmer comes in very important.
Out of the names in that list I provided, I do not want Bortles, Glennon or Boyle in the XFL. Luis Perez, KJ Costello and Kyle Sloter will probably return to the USFL.

Also left out a certain former NFL MVP QB on purpose because there's not a chance he would ever play in the XFL.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

He's working out for the Chicago Bears:

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/ ... t-benkert/
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Benkert discussed his XFL options on a podcast on his YouTube channel. It's pretty clear he's had some in-depth conversations with the league. He also makes some good points about why he'd prefer to choose the XFL over signing a futures deal, and the general advantages of playing in a league like the XFL. Reid summed up all the major points in the above Twitter thread, but the YouTube clip is under five minutes long and worth listening to.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

the team he would be going to would throw the ball 50 times.....so Seattle?

Oh as for the two guys he is talking to? They are far from football elitists watching only the NFL. The bearded guy (Brandon Perna) has had USFL videos on his channel. The other one, Tom Grossi (in the Packers gear) knows Kurt as Kurt threw him passes once and Kurt did an interview with him right after the Packers released him. They do a podcast together as shown, but also another podcast called "Clickbait Sports" with YouTubers Five Points Videos, Scooter Magruder and Urinating Tree.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Sure sounds like he is talking Seattle.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »