Former XFL players in the NFL 2022

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Former XFL players in the NFL 2022

Post by GregParks »

Here is where we stand as of tonight. Feel free to fix any errors as I've been trying (and failing) to keep up with all the moves of the last few days:

Active Roster
LS Nick Moore, Ravens
G Michael Dunn, Browns
LS Christian Kuntz, Steelers
TE Donald Parham, Chargers
OT Storm Norton, Chargers
TE Tyree Jackson, Eagles (PUP)
QB Tayler Heinicke, Commanders
LS Scott Daly, Lions
S Elijah Campbell, Dolphins
QB PJ Walker, Panthers

Practice Squad
G Kahlil McKenzie, Ravens
WR Tanner Gentry, Bills
S Kenny Robinson, Panthers
TE Colin Thompson, Panthers
RB Jacques Patrick, Bengals
LB Tegray Scales, Bengals
LB DeMarquis Gates, Bears
QB Josh Johnson, Broncos
CB Saivion Smith, Lions
C Jon Toth, Commanders
RB Austin Walter, Raiders
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Former XFL players in the NFL 2022

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

I have to say, it is utterly bizarre to look at practice squads with players that have a decade of experience, after that not being allowed for decades.

I mean, I know the "third string quarterback" rule change is part of that, but it just doesn't feel right.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:33 pm I have to say, it is utterly bizarre to look at practice squads with players that have a decade of experience, after that not being allowed for decades.

I mean, I know the "third string quarterback" rule change is part of that, but it just doesn't feel right.
The NFL wants to control the players avail. With the huge sums of money they are getting they can afford to lock up players, and with the 17th game and expanded playoffs they want more depth.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Is it really different though? It's the same 10 man practice squad plus six vets.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:51 pm Is it really different though? It's the same 10 man practice squad plus six vets.
So 192 extra players employed throughout the league during the season. I guess we can all decide for ourselves on whether or not that qualifies as "different."

The REAL difference, to me though, is the continuation of practice squad elevations on game day that started during COVID. That gives practice squad players more hope of actually playing meaningful games and is also a selling point to choose the practice squad over an XFL or USFL offer (though truthfully I wouldn't imagine a player choosing a spring league over a practice squad spot had the rules not changed, either). Still, it gives players who otherwise wouldn't have an opportunity a chance to suit up on game days.
@gregmparks
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GregParks wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:38 pm
MGB01 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:51 pm Is it really different though? It's the same 10 man practice squad plus six vets.
So 192 extra players employed throughout the league during the season. I guess we can all decide for ourselves on whether or not that qualifies as "different."
Yeah that was necessary :roll:

The validity of the question stands. Against the backdrop of this sudden "XFL CANT GET GOOD PLAYERS!!!!!!11111" theme the fact of the matter is the extra 192 are mostly made up of veterans who were starters--some just as recently as last year--and wouldn't be in the range of the XFL or USFL anyway (as if a rebirthed league with a low budget needs to be signing Jason Peters for cred).

A few teams are rolling with mostly "traditional" PS guys, and that also leaves another opening for every one.

So you were saying?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Players on the practice squad now have a chance to play in regular season games and that may be tempting to some of these players to choose over a Spring League.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:27 pm
GregParks wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:38 pm
Yeah that was necessary :roll:

The validity of the question stands. Against the backdrop of this sudden "XFL CANT GET GOOD PLAYERS!!!!!!11111" theme the fact of the matter is the extra 192 are mostly made up of veterans who were starters--some just as recently as last year--and wouldn't be in the range of the XFL or USFL anyway (as if a rebirthed league with a low budget needs to be signing Jason Peters for cred).

A few teams are rolling with mostly "traditional" PS guys, and that also leaves another opening for every one.

So you were saying?
Johnny said it was strange to see veterans on the practice squad. You asked if it was really that different. I provided numbers to show how different it is. What's so out-of-bounds about that? I didn't mean my second sentence to come off as sarcastic as maybe it did - truly, if you don't find those numbers to be all that different, then that's fine. We just differ on that.

Now, if you want to say it's not going to make much difference in the context of who will be available for the XFL - I totally agree. As you mentioned, the extra players are going to be veterans who probably wouldn't choose the XFL anyway (though there is a ripple effect in play - veterans on the PS now would've been in-season workout players previously, so now younger players who might otherwise have chosen the XFL will be those workout players who will get closer to being signed when there's an injury). But the "backdrop" that you cite in your post was not the context of what Johnny said (I don't like speaking for people so he can jump in and disagree if I'm wrong) or what you were replying to (and if it was, there was no way to tell that was the context of your post) or what I was referring to.
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Back on topic: Kenny Robinson was released from Carolina's practice squad last week.
@gregmparks
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GregParks wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:51 pmJohnny said it was strange to see veterans on the practice squad. You asked if it was really that different. I provided numbers to show how different it is. What's so out-of-bounds about that? I didn't mean my second sentence to come off as sarcastic as maybe it did - truly, if you don't find those numbers to be all that different, then that's fine. We just differ on that.
Yeah, IRT to the second point. It was a general response to the "XFL CAN'T GET ANY GOOD PLAYERS!!!!!" theme that showed up over the weekend for some reason, not the overall PS structure.
Now, if you want to say it's not going to make much difference in the context of who will be available for the XFL - I totally agree. As you mentioned, the extra players are going to be veterans who probably wouldn't choose the XFL anyway (though there is a ripple effect in play - veterans on the PS now would've been in-season workout players previously, so now younger players who might otherwise have chosen the XFL will be those workout players who will get closer to being signed when there's an injury). But the "backdrop" that you cite in your post was not the context of what Johnny said (I don't like speaking for people so he can jump in and disagree if I'm wrong) or what you were replying to (and if it was, there was no way to tell that was the context of your post) or what I was referring to.
The majority of the 192 extras are vets. Sure, some teams go the more traditional route. Look at Bills/Rams, not only a rare opening night potential SB preview, but the contrast in their practice squads: the Bills have Matt Barkley, Duke Johnson, Tavon Austin, and Greg Mancz; while the Rams' only "vet" is Grant Haley. They also lean more towards guys like Kenny Young (Bucs PS) who started for the Rams and Broncos last year and whose chances of playing in the XFL would be that of the theme of Mr. McMahon. Plus expanded practice squads three years ago probably would have spared the league the Antonio Callaway debacle (being a team would have stashed him away on the PS once his suspension was over).

So the point is it's not as bad as made out to be. Is the league any more at risk of being passed over than they were with Steve Gleason in 2000?