B1G CFP - TV Deal

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

B1G CFP - TV Deal

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... -Deal.aspx

>> The Big Ten has finalized media rights contracts with CBS, Fox and NBC that will total more than $8 billion over seven years, making it the most lucrative conference rights deal in the history of college athletics. The three deals combined will pay the conference over $1.1 billion per year and put the Big Ten’s schools well ahead of their peers in revenue.

The conference in its previous media rights deals with Fox and ESPN was making $440 million per year, meaning the new deals will provide the Big Ten with nearly a three-times increase starting with the 2023-24 season and going through the 2029-30 fiscal year.

Fox has the premier package with 30-plus football games, while CBS and NBC will have 15-16 games each. <<

ALSO from the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3518064/2022/08 ... s-deitsch/

>> 11. The Big Ten did not offer ESPN streaming rights to its football inventory, and without a direct-to-consumer component given the importance of ESPN+ for the company’s current and future plans, you can understand why ESPN would be hesitant to pony up millions for what they considered a lesser deal. We’ll know in due time whether ESPN not being involved in the Big Ten is more detrimental to ESPN or the Big Ten. <<

Ithink this was a smart deal for the B1G as they went with a shorter term deal and way more money than anyone else including the SEC.

3 major networks in linear TV was a great get. Of course ESPN/Disney is great with SC and all and the Website, its becoming more focused on ESPN+ with proprietary content to get that now $10 fee a month. Even the ESPN website is 50% behind that pay wall.

This could help promote USFL on FOX/NBC CFB broadcasts. And this narrative also further points to possible XFL games exclusive on ESPN+.
MGB01
MVP

Re: B1G CFP - TV Deal

Post by MGB01 »

Prior to CBS (as well as ESPN/USA/TBS on the cable side) getting into college football, you got one game on ABC and maybe an occasional primetime game. Then whatever you got locally (back when those were a thing) and that was it. Now 40 years later the B1G just scored the first ever three-network deal.

I mean sure, if you grew up on Keith Jackson/partner doing OSU/Michigan it's going to sting seeing the B1G not on ESPN/ABC, of course the Big Ten was on CBS in the mid 80s, and Jackson's last regular 'Game' was in 1998 (he came back to do the 100th in 2003). I think we've found a way to survive.

FOX signaled this possibly as far back as when they acquired the majority of BTN. Then came the first CG, then FOX as a regular college football broadcaster, then getting into the B1G in 2017, now this.

I wanna see how CBS divvies up their last season of SEC with B1G. I would guess they fight for Texas/Bama and then alternate the two.

NBC has never been involved in college football from a conference standpoint, even with ND in 2020 it's not like they started doing other ACC games. From all reports, ND will still have three prime time games a year so could this be a precursor to late night games with USC/UCLA (and maybe UW/Oregon too) beginning in '24?

Big time game changer.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

BTW your buddy Florio was ranting (again) about players not getting paid (now all the sudden NIL isn't good enough).

Nevermind the fact the $70 mil (or whatever the final number is) per school funds the entire athletic department, meaning that whatever revenue Michigan/Ohio State does in football and men's basketball, that funds Michigan/Ohio State in women's basketball, baseball, softball, tennis. But hell with the facts, it's about keeping the cause alive you know ;)

What's the line from A Bronx Tale about Mickey Mantle not paying your rent? Well actually in the early 60s MM paid a lot of rents, not too different here. There's a valid argument to be made about Rutgers getting the same pot as Ohio State, Michigan, and eventually USC, but if you're playing baseball or field hockey in New Brunswick, you're doing so because of Big Ten football/basketball and, by proxy, this new deal. So what would he do? Eliminate all the non revenue sports then? Yeah good luck with that. Of course the strife with his fellow camps is one reason among many we don't hear from him on that.

Remember, I do this so you don't have to :mrgreen:
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:21 pm BTW your buddy Florio was ranting (again) about players not getting paid (now all the sudden NIL isn't good enough).

Nevermind the fact the $70 mil (or whatever the final number is) per school funds the entire athletic department, meaning that whatever revenue Michigan/Ohio State does in football and men's basketball, that funds Michigan/Ohio State in women's basketball, baseball, softball, tennis. But hell with the facts, it's about keeping the cause alive you know ;)

What's the line from A Bronx Tale about Mickey Mantle not paying your rent? Well actually in the early 60s MM paid a lot of rents, not too different here. There's a valid argument to be made about Rutgers getting the same pot as Ohio State, Michigan, and eventually USC, but if you're playing baseball or field hockey in New Brunswick, you're doing so because of Big Ten football/basketball and, by proxy, this new deal. So what would he do? Eliminate all the non revenue sports then? Yeah good luck with that. Of course the strife with his fellow camps is one reason among many we don't hear from him on that.

Why do you hurt me like that... :(
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:49 pm
MGB01 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:21 pm BTW your buddy Florio was ranting (again) about players not getting paid (now all the sudden NIL isn't good enough).

Why do you hurt me like that... :(
Oh believe me this hurts me more than it does you, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make :mrgreen:
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Big 10 prioritized fixed time windows on fixed networks, creating certainty for viewers. I don't need to refer to a schedule to know when the games are going to be on and where. Something we've talked a lot about for the XFL and USFL. It's a good place to get to if you can.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:44 am Big 10 prioritized fixed time windows on fixed networks, creating certainty for viewers. I don't need to refer to a schedule to know when the games are going to be on and where. Something we've talked a lot about for the XFL and USFL. It's a good place to get to if you can.
Agreed, its a double plus. Set time windows, and Broadcast TV - 2 pluses.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:16 am
Tank55 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:44 am Big 10 prioritized fixed time windows on fixed networks, creating certainty for viewers. I don't need to refer to a schedule to know when the games are going to be on and where. Something we've talked a lot about for the XFL and USFL. It's a good place to get to if you can.
Agreed, its a double plus. Set time windows, and Broadcast TV - 2 pluses.
Only thing is, as I said earlier, is how CBS handles the SEC/B1G overlap. I'd think they'd just have ordinarily let ESPN have it a year early if not for Texas/Bama. They won't get the Tide for a while (Bama plays at Wisconsin in '24 and at OSU in '27 but with FOX getting first pick, good luck), and it's been decades since they had Texas. Maybe another sublicensing deal, kinda like how ABC aired Florida/Vandy in 2020--although those were emergency circumstances.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

(edit)
Last edited by MGB01 on Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

This is apparently having a far-reaching effect

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nbc-consid ... 4wtkzigedw

If you get paywalled, here's the related part
The move comes as NBC is facing increased costs for sports programming, which network executives see as crucial for drawing in viewers. Last week, NBC struck a deal to carry Big Ten college football for the next seven years at an annual price tag of $350 million.

NBC also has a bigger bill coming for its Sunday Night Football franchise. In 2023, its annual fee to the National Football League will double to about $2 billion, The Wall Street Journal previously reported.
Funny, this comes as NBC's giving the hard sell to their three hour Law and Order season premiere (OS/SVU/OC) that no one really cares about. Have they cleared this with Dick Wolf yet? :mrgreen:

But even if NBC became the first of the legacy nets to follow FOX I doubt they'd ever move Fallon to 10:30 after that flap with Leno back in 2009. All the shows that FOX had were bombs (Magic Johnson, Joan Rivers, etc) but they all were at 11/11:30. Another thing is that if the Big Ten really goes big and adds Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and California (like hell Newsom isn't secretly trying to leverage them into a move) in the next few years and thus you end up with "B1G After Dark" it's a sign that SNL is getting ready to be retired--if they're not gone by then entirely.

Fun fact: the then first-year SNL (called merely NBC Saturday Night cause Howard Cosell's version was on ABC in primetime) was pre-empted Thanksgiving weekend for Indiana/UCLA from St. Louis--yes a 10:30 local start, with the post-John Wooden Bruins against the first of IU's 32-0. Be funny if it was phased out with Notre Dame on the west coast.

Our FOX/NBC affiliates have had a news-sharing agreement since the early 90s that would be all but out the door if this ever happened, unless they simulcast on both.