USFL Players signing with XFL

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

USFL Players signing with XFL

Post by LeoNY »

I wonder how many USFL players have signed their option clause for year two. I think with USFL coaches and front office people jumping ship to the XFL. Some players could join them. Like Cris Dishman and Joey Clinkscales.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: USFL Players signing with XFL

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

As I understand it, the option clause is out of the players' control. The USFL can and will be blocking any player under contract in 2022 from joining the XFL in 2023.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

Yeah that’s my understanding as well. The only exception is that USFL players initially had a loophole that existed if they were signed by an NFL team, then released. I suppose at the end of NFL camp we’ll see how many people signed the addendum closing that if they’re cut by their USFL teams and sign with XFL
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:12 pm As I understand it, the option clause is out of the players' control. The USFL can and will be blocking any player under contract in 2022 from joining the XFL in 2023.
If a player is signed and then cut by an NFL team they may be not under their USFL contract - that's at least for the early contracts. Mid season they changed the contracts so that any USFL players signed and cut by NFL were still under USFL contract. Did players resign the amended contract? Or was that for just new or Released and Resigned players? That's the question.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:22 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:12 pm As I understand it, the option clause is out of the players' control. The USFL can and will be blocking any player under contract in 2022 from joining the XFL in 2023.
If a player is signed and then cut by an NFL team they may be not under their USFL contract - that's at least for the early contracts. Mid season they changed the contracts so that any USFL players signed and cut by NFL were still under USFL contract. Did players resign the amended contract? Or was that for just new or Released and Resigned players? That's the question.
And then another question would be what’s the pay raise and new accommodations the panthers OC said would make the decision easy for players
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:11 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:22 pm
And then another question would be what’s the pay raise and new accommodations the panthers OC said would make the decision easy for players
The gap in total compensation is not huge, so USFL can close it. If XFL base was 75k I'd say that was a bigger gap.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

According to reports. The original USFL contract was bilateral. It was a player option for whether or not they wanted to sign in for a second year. Players who were signed later in the year had the option year clause as mandatory.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

LeoNY wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:36 pm
According to reports. The original USFL contract was bilateral. It was a player option for whether or not they wanted to sign in for a second year. Players who were signed later in the year had the option year clause as mandatory.
That is not what had been reported. If the USFL exercised the option, the player was signed on for 2023. It was not a player option.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

The only way out of contracts is signing with the nfl and that only gets you out of the contract if you signed the first contract. A few players have said this in interviews and it’s been heavily reported
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:35 pm
That is not what had been reported. If the USFL exercised the option, the player was signed on for 2023. It was not a player option.
It was reported at USFL NewsHub when the option year clause contract was posted. The contracts are in the articles.

Players who initially signed and were drafted by the league had the option of agreeing with the clause. It wasn’t a league mandated thing until it was amended later in the year.