Anthony Becht Twitter Q&A Friday at 1pm EST

XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
MVP

Re: Anthony Becht Twitter Q&A Friday at 1pm EST

Post by MGB01 »

Wonder how much scouting AB was doing (Jets preseason color guy).

Chris Streveler is a long shot to come play in the X (simply cause he could be needed elsewhere, especially as teams continue to go back to going with a third QB), but he'd be excellent in the league.

There were USFL receivers on each side: Rashard Davis (Jets) and Lance Lenoir (Eagles), both got a catch. Also a favorite of mine, Calvin Jackson (who Mike Leach brought in as a JUCO, then had two extra years thanks to the pandemic) had the game-winning TD catch from Streveler, he's worth keeping an eye on if he's somehow still on the street next month.

Former Viper Isaiah Williams is once again a Jet (having done the shuttle for two years), dunno if/how much he played.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:17 pm Wonder how much scouting AB was doing (Jets preseason color guy).

Chris Streveler is a long shot to come play in the X (simply cause he could be needed elsewhere, especially as teams continue to go back to going with a third QB), but he'd be excellent in the league.

There were USFL receivers on each side: Rashard Davis (Jets) and Lance Lenoir (Eagles), both got a catch. Also a favorite of mine, Calvin Jackson (who Mike Leach brought in as a JUCO, then had two extra years thanks to the pandemic) had the game-winning TD catch from Streveler, he's worth keeping an eye on if he's somehow still on the street next month.

Former Viper Isaiah Williams is once again a Jet (having done the shuttle for two years), dunno if/how much he played.
Justin Dunk of 3rdDownNation (a CFL site) says that Streveler will want to exhaust all of his NFL options first (so he can be eligible for an NFL pension) before considering any alternative leagues. Dunk says he needs to be active for six more games to get that pension.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:35 pm
MGB01 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:17 pm Wonder how much scouting AB was doing (Jets preseason color guy).

Justin Dunk of 3rdDownNation (a CFL site) says that Streveler will want to exhaust all of his NFL options first (so he can be eligible for an NFL pension) before considering any alternative leagues. Dunk says he needs to be active for six more games to get that pension.
Smart move
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:35 pm

But Streveler has said he's welcome a return to the CFL if he hasn't latched on to an NFL team. I think he shows up in Edmonton next year
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

I put Streveler in the same camp as Ricky Ray (also with the Jets); had Ray not made the team in 2004 he wouldn't just go back to the CFL and immediately walk back into his starting job with the Eskimos. He took the job back the next year anyway but that's just it, you wouldn't see a contender add a starting QB midseason without just asking for a team-killing QB controversy that will have them out in the first round.

So it'd be best for both if the Jets keep him on the PS; them with Wilson's shakiness, and Streveler just to go ahead and get some reps now, and probably ends up on an active roster somewhere, and start the whole process again next year (and like Ray/Jason Maas in 2005 maybe he takes the job from Collaros and he ends up on the move).

But I always have to keep the Lloyd Christmas chance lottery active in the unlikely event.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:51 am
Hopefully at least one of them has decades of experience as a coach, even as a consultant. If I am a St. Louis fan, I think I would be overly concerned about the coaching staff if everyone on that staff has less than 5 years of coaching. He has connections to Mike Martz and Ken Whisenhunt, and while it seems unlikely both of them would be regular assistants, one of them helping out as a consultant would increase his chances to succeed and then one of them can leave in a year or two when Becht gains experience in game day stuff, which a coach like Martz and Whisenhunt can help with but ultimately allow him to make the final decision.

BTW, I am kind of surprised that Ken Whisenhunt hasn't resurfaced anywhere in football since the Chargers fired him as OC in 2019.

Having said that though, I would not be at all surprised if Becht's staff has at least a few coaches with decades of coaching experience, perhaps even a former head coach. He's smart enough to know he's going to need a few assistants with decades of coaching experience.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I'm not sure this will deserve its own thread, but Reggie Barlow is doing a Twitter Q&A this Friday just as Becht did last Friday, via @XFL2023. He's also in DC doing lots of interviews this week as well.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:48 am I'm not sure this will deserve its own thread, but Reggie Barlow is doing a Twitter Q&A this Friday just as Becht did last Friday, via @XFL2023. He's also in DC doing lots of interviews this week as well.
Saw that - that's good. 6 months till kick off so no time like present.

Its something the USFL should have done in 2022, but I think will do for 2023. Of course its a time commitment.