Head Coach

Xfl seeking outside investors

Post by herns »

4th&long
MVP

Re: Xfl seeking outside investors

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:44 am
I was going to post that something like this will be coming, ie potential financial issues. The inability to swallow the lease at Allegiant was a sign something was up.

Next will be - "XFL and USFL" in talks.

That's coming next - Clearly RBC is not going to fund this for long haul I figured 1-2 years and than approach USFL after 2023 season.

Sorry - but these too leagues will Very Very similar goals and plans should not be wasting money on 2 separate efforts. They XFL hasn't had a season yet and this comes out?

I'd like to say I'm shocked but I'm not... at all.

Love the timing too AFTER their Townhall to avoid questions... not good Optics.

>> The trio have been funding the league and are committed to continuing to fund the XFL’s startup efforts, according to a person familiar with the search for new investors, who asked not to be named because the matter is private. The XFL and RedBird Capital had no comment; PJT Partners declined immediate comment. Part of PJT’s responsibilities with the XFL search is ensuring potential equity investors share the vision of the current ownership group on the development and commercialization of the XFL, according to the person familiar with the transaction.<<
Last edited by 4th&long on Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:31 am
I was going to post that something like this will be coming, ie potential financial issues. The inability to swallow the lease at Allegiant was a sign something was up.

That's coming next - Clearly RBC is not going to fund this for long haul I figured 1-2 years and than approach USFL after 2023 season.

Sorry - but these too leagues will Very Very similar goals and plans should not be wasting money on 2 separate efforts. They XFL hasn't had a season yet and this comes out?

If I remember right the recent athletic articles pointed towards 2024 being when they think talks between the two start. I do agree these leagues are way more similar than either want to admit and it’s shown in the fact xfl was going to do a hub until USFL got backlash. I do hope both can get the funding they need to get out of their Hubs
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:37 am
4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:31 am

Love the timing too AFTER their Townhall to avoid questions... not good Optics.

>> The trio have been funding the league and are committed to continuing to fund the XFL’s startup efforts, according to a person familiar with the search for new investors, who asked not to be named because the matter is private. The XFL and RedBird Capital had no comment; PJT Partners declined immediate comment. Part of PJT’s responsibilities with the XFL search is ensuring potential equity investors share the vision of the current ownership group on the development and commercialization of the XFL, according to the person familiar with the transaction.<<
If I remember right the recent athletic articles pointed towards 2024 being when they think talks between the two start. I do agree these leagues are way more similar than either want to admit and it’s shown in the fact xfl was going to do a hub until USFL got backlash. I do hope both can get the funding they need to get out of their Hubs
Fox does not want to "rush" its cost effective buisness model. The XFL seems to be spending LOTS of money.

And the big reveal: My big fear is XFL shoots load in Yr 1, rushes USFL/FOX and both implode.

This crap about finding investors that "shares their vision" needs to get kick-to-the-curb. Its about a sustainable model and eventual growth. I said all along Rk/DG were NOT funding this and they aren't. RBC would want ownership if they fund it and where does that leave Rk/DG?
They have not been transparent.

I wish they started smaller, and worked their way up. This is concerning.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

If they get outside investors, please for the love of god, no NFT or Crypto companies.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Gee Donnie you're trying to get people here to hate the USFL aren't you? I guess constantly getting laughed at on ArenaFan every time you push it has that effect.

So what is the difference between the two again in seeking outside investors? The USFL wasn't until after the season? BS, that article was from February

"BuT tHeY pLaYeD a SeAsOn!" Yeah and they haven't had any real expenses yet either.

Start smaller? You mean like Super TSL? Oh great so now their year two plan is Super TSL/2, woohoo!

Nobody likes propaganda, even (especially) when it comes from "the good guys"
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

To me it depends on who the outside investors are going to be. If it's Crypto people or NFT people, I am 100% out on the XFL. If it's the people behind LIV Golf or who run PSG, it could be a moral issue but I would still support the league. Outside investors seems to me it's going to end up being ESPN or someone like that.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Whether it's the USFL or XFL, I always shudder at "seeking investors" news because of what happened with the AAF. Obviously a little different situation there, but the more cooks you have in the kitchen, the more complicated it becomes (even if you are, as the XFL is doing, seeking investors with the same vision as the current leadership).
@gregmparks
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Yes, "Investors" have failed other leagues. I'm talking about you Dundon... and your demands to amalgamate the AAF with the NFL.

The article is behind a paywall, but I have seen the content and there is not much there outside of the headline. Maybe just this paragraph is marginally interesting. (Reproduced here under fair use for purposes of discussion)
The XFL is owned by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Dany Garcia and Gerry Cardinale’s RedBird Capital. The group bought the league out of bankruptcy from a Vince McMahon entity two years ago. The trio have been funding the league and are committed to continuing to fund the XFL’s startup efforts, according to a person familiar with the search for new investors, who asked not to be named because the matter is private. The XFL and RedBird Capital had no comment; PJT Partners declined immediate comment.
Last edited by MarkNelson on Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

So what would the overall thoughts be on this forum if we find out the outside investors are Crypto/NFT only people?