XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Xfl seeking outside investors

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:16 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:15 pm
nick1091 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:11 pm

They were open by commenting on a story for a paper also owned by Fox who'd already heard from multiple sources (they didn't say on which side) they'd engage the bank to navigate the process. It's not like they started an Indiegogo for contributors.

I'm not sure why we're getting into this degree of hair splitting. Both leagues have access to plenty of cash for the amount of $$ being bandied about but would rather get outside investors, both ostensibly for the same ends (some/all teams in expanded hubs or in local markets.) Yes USFL completed a season in one centralized city as a proof of concept, but that's only somewhat more of an indicator further funds will result in higher revenues with more hubs or local markets, when you'll need some degree to gameday revenue and your ads fee rights will only rise incrementally.
Nick,

Its about transparency and having access to cash is not the same as having it and certainly not spending it. To me its concerning. If VM never committed funds XFL 2.0 and USFL 2.0 would have gotten the same scrutiny.
For all the funds Vince apparently committed, there sure were a lot of vendors left empty handed during the bankruptcy proceedings. Rent was never paid at MetLife, Raymond James for starters, a photographer was out over $3k dollars and didn't receive a penny. Vince talked a good game, but the proof is in the pudding. Even before COVID hit he wasn't holding up his end of the bargain
Vince is said to have lost what $100 mm? Regardless of who got stiffed, he lost alot. Is XFL 3.0 prepared as well? Who knows - no talk of financing.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:26 pm Simple - Because I quote facts -
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah let's talk about those "facts" then. So XFL going after outside investors is bad but when the USFL does it "it's just transparent"

A-Rod raised buzz, who was talking about the USFL exactly in July-August 2021?

Yes, facts.............
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:42 pm

Yeah let's talk about those "facts" then. So XFL going after outside investors is bad but when the USFL does it "it's just transparent"

Yes, facts.............
You can :lol: :lol: :lol:

All you want - USFL/Fox committed $150mm over 3 years for USFL - in 2021; The stated goal was to sell off franchises over time. They are looking to raise funds while stating it will not impact Year 2 plans and they commented about the investor plans to the media.

XFL hasn't committed anything, has not stated who is funding the league and is now, before a draft even - asking for investor money - without comment. Their TV deal has no disclosure either. That's a big difference in openness, candor and commitment. But hey no big deal right?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:51 pm
MGB01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:42 pm

Yes, facts.............
You can :lol: :lol: :lol:

All you want - USFL/Fox committed $150mm over 3 years for USFL - in 2021; The stated goal was to sell off franchises over time. They are looking to raise funds while stating it will not impact Year 2 plans and they commented about the investor plans to the media.

XFL hasn't committed anything, has not stated who is funding the league and is now, before a draft even - asking for investor money - without comment. Their TV deal has no disclosure either. That's a big difference in openness, candor and commitment. But hey no big deal right?

You can't even be honest about what USFL year one was, more or less Super TSL--and let's also be honest, there was no danger of not getting to a second year, self-inflicted wounds (De'Veon Smith, give in to the kickers who can't kick anyway/weekly rules changes, rain delays for no rain, terrible scheduling) notwithstanding.

The XFL has done nothing the USFL didn't do in its first year (now that the "they didn't go looking for outside funds in year one" argument's been obliterated). Besides the USFL was essentially a ready-made product in all but name, so when they have the headstart they did is it really that impressive?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-see ... 19f7f620c3

>> That’s where details are murky at the moment and can get tricky. The lack of transparency to the outside public can create doubt. Something that has always existed for alternate pro football leagues.

RedBird Capital has already earmarked three years of funding for the XFL, which coincidentally aligns with their multi-year agreement in Arlington. The funding commitment is similar to what FOX has done with the USFL

As one respected industry source told me today when hearing about this story. “Profits and league value is the long-term goal for the XFL, but you need funding to bring things up to scale past just launching.” That sums up what is happening right now. But it won’t stop people from declaring doomsday. Because until the new iteration of the XFL and ownership proves itself. The jury will be out on them. <<
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Well I'm glad that Mitchell wrote that and not another XNH reg, but I still don't know what the point you're trying to prove is. You can say the same for the USFL, cause until they get out of Super TSL mode same goes for them.

The difference is the XFL isn't owned by a major network (at the moment) and ready-made to a degree, look at everything the XFL's done and it's almost more impressive.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:19 pm https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-see ... 19f7f620c3

>> That’s where details are murky at the moment and can get tricky. The lack of transparency to the outside public can create doubt. Something that has always existed for alternate pro football leagues.

RedBird Capital has already earmarked three years of funding for the XFL, which coincidentally aligns with their multi-year agreement in Arlington. The funding commitment is similar to what FOX has done with the USFL

As one respected industry source told me today when hearing about this story. “Profits and league value is the long-term goal for the XFL, but you need funding to bring things up to scale past just launching.” That sums up what is happening right now. But it won’t stop people from declaring doomsday. Because until the new iteration of the XFL and ownership proves itself. The jury will be out on them. <<
My only issue with it is I don’t like how high of a %it is, my feelings on it will ultimately depend on who it’s sold to
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

laxtreme56 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:16 pm For all the funds Vince apparently committed, there sure were a lot of vendors left empty handed during the bankruptcy proceedings. Rent was never paid at MetLife, Raymond James for starters, a photographer was out over $3k dollars and didn't receive a penny. Vince talked a good game, but the proof is in the pudding. Even before COVID hit he wasn't holding up his end of the bargain
First of all, wasn't the Tampa deal rent free to begin with? Second, the way I understood it was that these stadiums were demanding rent for games the government forbade the league from playing. And in some cases, future games in 2021, and so on.

With Vince, the investment was right there on the SEC filings for all to see.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:50 pm So what are the thoughts going to be if the league gets funds from those behind LIV Golf?
This is a good question. Say the Russians invest in this league, either the oligarchs or the Kremlin itself.

For one, you might lose ESPN, the biggest risk. But it would be steady money.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:40 am
GDAWG wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:50 pm So what are the thoughts going to be if the league gets funds from those behind LIV Golf?
This is a good question. Say the Russians invest in this league, either the oligarchs or the Kremlin itself.

For one, you might lose ESPN, the biggest risk. But it would be steady money.
What about if aliens from the Andromeda galaxy want to invest in the league using their intergalactic wealth? Will the volatility of that concern the league or its fans? Will fans support a league in which space invaders own a percentage?
@gregmparks