Xfl seeking outside investors

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Xfl seeking outside investors

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:44 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:40 am
GDAWG wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:50 pm So what are the thoughts going to be if the league gets funds from those behind LIV Golf?
This is a good question. Say the Russians invest in this league, either the oligarchs or the Kremlin itself.

For one, you might lose ESPN, the biggest risk. But it would be steady money.
What about if aliens from the Andromeda galaxy want to invest in the league using their intergalactic wealth? Will the volatility of that concern the league or its fans? Will fans support a league in which space invaders own a percentage?
Maybe - Will the Aliens be a totalitarian dictatorship, take all our jobs and sell us back lower costs goods? Asking for a friend. :mrgreen:
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:29 pm Well I'm glad that Mitchell wrote that and not another XNH reg, but I still don't know what the point you're trying to prove is. You can say the same for the USFL, cause until they get out of Super TSL mode same goes for them.

The difference is the XFL isn't owned by a major network (at the moment) and ready-made to a degree, look at everything the XFL's done and it's almost more impressive.
What has the XFL done? And what about it is impressive?
St. Louis BattleHawks
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GregParks wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:44 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:40 am
GDAWG wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:50 pm So what are the thoughts going to be if the league gets funds from those behind LIV Golf?
This is a good question. Say the Russians invest in this league, either the oligarchs or the Kremlin itself.

For one, you might lose ESPN, the biggest risk. But it would be steady money.
What about if aliens from the Andromeda galaxy want to invest in the league using their intergalactic wealth? Will the volatility of that concern the league or its fans? Will fans support a league in which space invaders own a percentage?
Is Kevin Sorbo involved?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I can only speak for myself, but accepting intergalactic investors would be a big turnoff. YMMV.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GregParks wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:44 am What about if aliens from the Andromeda galaxy want to invest in the league using their intergalactic wealth? Will the volatility of that concern the league or its fans? Will fans support a league in which space invaders own a percentage?
Depends on the exchange rate. :mrgreen:
BattleHawks
Running Back

Post by BattleHawks »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:00 am
MGB01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:29 pm Well I'm glad that Mitchell wrote that and not another XNH reg, but I still don't know what the point you're trying to prove is. You can say the same for the USFL, cause until they get out of Super TSL mode same goes for them.

The difference is the XFL isn't owned by a major network (at the moment) and ready-made to a degree, look at everything the XFL's done and it's almost more impressive.
What has the XFL done? And what about it is impressive?
nothing, yet
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Per Mike Mitchell article, a little clarity where the league stands on rights fees, even if actual numbers weren't discussed.

"Several sources have indicated that the XFL’s five-year deal with Disney has ad splits (percentages not confirmed), with the network covering production and broadcast talent costs with escalators throughout the agreement to go along with the initial rights fee."

This is actually similar to the CFL TSN deal. TSN pays the CFL roughly $50 million a year CDN, and when ratings objectives are met (none of have been disclosed, why isn't the league being transparent?!?) Those numbers increase. I think you'll see a real concerted effort by both the XFL and ESPN/ABC to get network ratings close to the 2 million range.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:48 pm Per Mike Mitchell article, a little clarity where the league stands on rights fees, even if actual numbers weren't discussed.

"Several sources have indicated that the XFL’s five-year deal with Disney has ad splits (percentages not confirmed), with the network covering production and broadcast talent costs with escalators throughout the agreement to go along with the initial rights fee."

This is actually similar to the CFL TSN deal. TSN pays the CFL roughly $50 million a year CDN, and when ratings objectives are met (none of have been disclosed, why isn't the league being transparent?!?) Those numbers increase. I think you'll see a real concerted effort by both the XFL and ESPN/ABC to get network ratings close to the 2 million range.
Its similar sounding but not likely in $, if XFL had a base media right deal starting at $50mm you'd hear about it.

The $ amount of the investment they are seeking sounds an awful lot like what their net costs will be in 2023. They are offering up almost half the company for that.
Disney is looking to put more sports content on ESPN+ to increase subscribers... I can see some XFL games weekly on ESPN+
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:30 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:48 pm Per Mike Mitchell article, a little clarity where the league stands on rights fees, even if actual numbers weren't discussed.

Its similar sounding but not likely in $, if XFL had a base media right deal starting at $50mm you'd hear about it.

The $ amount of the investment they are seeking sounds an awful lot like what their net costs will be in 2023. They are offering up almost half the company for that.
Disney is looking to put more sports content on ESPN+ to increase subscribers... I can see some XFL games weekly on ESPN+
There were rumblings on Twitter implying a 5 year $240 million deal. We don't know exactly what the Big 3, NLL, PLL, or even MLS (which splits their TV revenue with Soccer United Marketing) actually receives in rights fees, so don't see why the XFL would be different. I'm sure you'll see some simulcasts on ESPN+ but no exclusive games. ESPN+ is where we'll see some kind of Hard Knocks show and maybe pre and post game coverage.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

I think as far as any games on ESPN+ go, well remember they have Broncos/Jags from Wembley 10/30. It's possible they use that as a test run, which is more respectful towards the XFL than using the current slate of G5-dominated games they're set to have on it this year as one: "Woodson vs. T-Buck? Hey we'll do it just like Eastern Illinois/Northern Illinois!"

So the schedule comes out in mid-October or so and you'd see ABC here, ESPN there, and some TBAs. The latter would be ESPN+ vs. FX, though if they go USFL-style scheduling you should ideally have no higher than your "C" game there. Or think of the one from XFL2.0 that was set to go to FS2, same deal.