Xfl seeking outside investors

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Xfl seeking outside investors

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:18 am I think as far as any games on ESPN+ go, well remember they have Broncos/Jags from Wembley 10/30. It's possible they use that as a test run, which is more respectful towards the XFL than using the current slate of G5-dominated games they're set to have on it this year as one: "Woodson vs. T-Buck? Hey we'll do it just like Eastern Illinois/Northern Illinois!"

So the schedule comes out in mid-October or so and you'd see ABC here, ESPN there, and some TBAs. The latter would be ESPN+ vs. FX, though if they go USFL-style scheduling you should ideally have no higher than your "C" game there. Or think of the one from XFL2.0 that was set to go to FS2, same deal.
Very possible. With the increase in ESPN+ rates from $7 to $10, they need proprietary content to help drive subscribers, and real sports games is the only way. Even if they keep losing money on streaming short/medium term.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Xfl seeking outside investors

Post by GregParks »

Maybe this isn't a year one thing, but you know how ESPN has simulcasts for the CFB Championship Game, different feeds on different channels? It would be kinda cool if they had an XFL game with a regular feed on ESPN/ESPN2/ABC or whatever, and just had a mic'd up feed on ESPN+, where you'd hear only the players and coaches mic'd up throughout the game, with no announcers. I'm not sure how expensive that would be and whether that would be a barrier to doing this, but they'll probably already be mic'ing up players and coaches anyway.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

TMkC-DKap: On XFL seeking $ - “It Tells Me They Need Money”

Post by 4th&long »

https://themarkcast.com/articles/it-tel ... -of-launch

Here's some excerpts full article in link above...

>> Further clarification came out later in the week via XFL News Hub’s Mike Mitchell who reported that the XFL was willing to give up 35%-45% of their company in an attempt to raise $125 million in equity funding through the help of PJT Partners.

Although the league is not looking to sell off team franchises at this time, the announcement of this news, particularly the fact that the XFL is already looking to raise more capital before they’ve even played a season, left many spring “alt-football” enthusiasts worried.

I asked Daniel Kaplan what he made of the fact that the XFL was already seeking investors prior to its 2023 XFL season:

“It tells me they need money.”

While the USFL saved funds while housing and playing games for all 8 of its 2022 teams in Birmingham, the XFL has plans to fly the teams out to their various home markets for game days in hopes to engage the local fanbases. <<

While to many that's a Captain Obvious statement - I'm glad he said it on a public space. There has been little additional reporting on this scoop from Sportico and then XFLNewsHub. I guess with NFL preseason XFL was hoping to bury it, so far they have. I'd like to see The Athletic, PFT, SBJ etc... dig a little deeper.

>> In regards to who Kaplan sees as the front-runner at this point between the XFL and the USFL in terms of owning the spring football marketplace:

I don't think both can survive. That's for sure. Whether, whether they merge or, or whatnot. I don't see how two sprint football leagues can survive.” <<

Something I've been saying for as long as XFL formally announced 2023. So yes, I think he's correct.