XFL NAMES VP COMMUNICATIONS

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: XFL NAMES VP COMMUNICATIONS

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:17 pm
4th&long wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:16 pm
GregParks wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:40 pm As expected, the "boots on the ground" in these cities:

True but cha-ching $$$

https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/def ... reerCenter

The more I see the more XFL's cost Foot print will greatly exceed USFL's. Interesting.
As well as the XFL’s popularity could greatly exceed the USFL’s. For year 1 they did a respectable job but they better bring more than a second hub to the table for year 2 if they want to keep people excited, IMO.
It may not be in the cards for USFL 2.0 to do that. I imagine all of us here will be watching XFL and USFL its basically 80% not concurrent.

While I do agree that playing in market helps build fan base in that market, it still is only 5 games. Also - I do not buy that people OUT of the market are going to care if they play in said market.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:48 pm
4th&long wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:16 pm

True but cha-ching $$$

https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/def ... reerCenter

The more I see the more XFL's cost Foot print will greatly exceed USFL's. Interesting.
As well as the XFL’s popularity could greatly exceed the USFL’s. For year 1 they did a respectable job but they better bring more than a second hub to the table for year 2 if they want to keep people excited, IMO.
It may not be in the cards for USFL 2.0 to do that. I imagine all of us here will be watching XFL and USFL its basically 80% not concurrent.

While I do agree that playing in market helps build fan base in that market, it still is only 5 games. Also - I do not buy that people OUT of the market are going to care if they play in said market.
I think the fans out of market will care if they tune into a game in which they see 18k-30k excited fans pumped up for spring football. After people watch a 10-12 week season of that with the XFL, the 50 people that show up for a televised USFL game is going to look that much worse. The spring football crowd is only so big right now, so my concern if I’m the USFL is that my product is going to look like it came out of the bargain bin. That could start having a noticeable impact on those all important tv numbers.

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s enough of us on here to carry both leagues to the finish line. By the time the USFL kicks off next year, there will have been over 30 straight weekends of football counting NFL preseason. I’m not saying that there isn’t going to still be an appetite for the USFL but I think there’s going to be less of one for a league that could start to be looked upon as the poor man’s XFL, especially if its main marketing strategy is “ hey we made it to year 2”.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:15 am

I think the fans out of market will care if they tune into a game in which they see 18k-30k excited fans pumped up for spring football. After people watch a 10-12 week season of that with the XFL, the 50 people that show up for a televised USFL game is going to look that much worse. The spring football crowd is only so big right now, so my concern if I’m the USFL is that my product is going to look like it came out of the bargain bin. That could start having a noticeable impact on those all important tv numbers.

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s enough of us on here to carry both leagues to the finish line. By the time the USFL kicks off next year, there will have been over 30 straight weekends of football counting NFL preseason. I’m not saying that there isn’t going to still be an appetite for the USFL but I think there’s going to be less of one for a league that could start to be looked upon as the poor man’s XFL, especially if its main marketing strategy is “ hey we made it to year 2”.
USFL is the poor man's XFL, except on the field. So I hear you but...

1) When will people take that FB break? During March Madness? The Masters? MLB opening weekend? The start of NHL and NBA playoffs?

2) Nothing says the XFL 3.0 will have large crowds like XFL 2.0. They may, but they may not. And what will it cost to obtain them?

3) Will USFL appeal to some cities more than and XFL others - quite possibly.

4) Will the USFL's 2 hubs mitigate the crowd issue? Very likely.

Let's boil it down to say the USFL is likely looking to have 20+ games in front of a decent crowd to help the "optics" or whatever. That covers all the reg season broadcast games+.

From a cost perspective they do not need to have a full second Hub to accomplish this, at least for all the broadcast and some cable.
For example at Philly: 6 games
- Wk 1 NJ at Philly
- Wk 2 Pitt at Philly; Mich at NJ
- Wk 3 Mich at Philly; Pitt at NJ
- Wk 4 Philly at NJ

Of course this could start any week.

(With Houston the 3rd largest market - they can try 2-3 games there as well. (Or Mich/TB))

Plus 5 games in busing from Birm to NOLA.
This has is a VERY cost effective way to get to 21 games with fans, WHILE maximizing the existing Hub of Birm.

I think we'll see something along these lines in 2023.

So even a partial hub in Philly (pseudo NJ) + some NOLA busing games could work nicely.

I agree that winter has its advantages - been saying that from day one - but the FB itself is going to be very comparable and who watches when may differ for these leagues.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:18 pm

1) When will people take that FB break? During March Madness? The Masters? MLB opening weekend? The start of NHL and NBA playoffs?

2) Nothing says the XFL 3.0 will have large crowds like XFL 2.0. They may, but they may not. And what will it cost to obtain them?

Let's boil it down to say the USFL is likely looking to have 20+ games in front of a decent crowd to help the "optics" or whatever. That covers all the reg season broadcast games+.

From a cost perspective they do not need to have a full second Hub to accomplish this, at least for all the broadcast and some cable.
- Wk 1 NJ at Philly
- Wk 4 Philly at NJ

(With Houston the 3rd largest market - they can try 2-3 games there as well. (Or Mich/TB))

This has is a VERY cost effective way to get to 21 games with fans, WHILE maximizing the existing Hub of Birm.

So even a partial hub in Philly (pseudo NJ) + some NOLA busing games could work nicely.

I agree that winter has its advantages - been saying that from day one - but the FB itself is going to be very comparable and who watches when may differ for these leagues.
As you suggest, there’s definitely things they can do and can do better, but will they? I don’t think it would kill them to be more aggressive in year 2. I feel they can do a lot more with fan engagement, rather it’s through a few more dedicated marketing hires or engaging both local/national media more efficiently. Or perhaps they aren’t committed enough to all the markets to put the effort in? I don’t feel they can just sit back and kind of stay status quo without falling behind. The XFL is making moves and season 2 of the USFL is not that far behind the XFL, it would be nice to see some energy and enthusiasm during their offseason as well.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:17 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:18 pm

- Wk 1 NJ at Philly
- Wk 4 Philly at NJ

As you suggest, there’s definitely things they can do and can do better, but will they? I don’t think it would kill them to be more aggressive in year 2. I feel they can do a lot more with fan engagement, rather it’s through a few more dedicated marketing hires or engaging both local/national media more efficiently. Or perhaps they aren’t committed enough to all the markets to put the effort in? I don’t feel they can just sit back and kind of stay status quo without falling behind. The XFL is making moves and season 2 of the USFL is not that far behind the XFL, it would be nice to see some energy and enthusiasm during their offseason as well.
I guess that's a legit question, I think the answer is yes... but to what degree. They have already stated 2/4 hubs in 2023. Many assume that's 2 full hubs, but that could be 1 main hub and partial hubs. Will they over spend ? No.

Can they do more with (local, being their cot names) fan engagement? I think we all agree - Yes. And I believe local fan engagement includes games in market. But with that comes alot. Local fan support is more important for TV ratings than - fans instands - but they tend to mirror each other.
Which is why I think going with a main hub in Birm, partial hub in Phil (on NJ border) and some games in NO along with possible 3rd partial hub in Houston (TB or Mich) makes the most sense. But with that comes some extra marketing and such.
NBC owns an RSN in Philly and getting a weekly Philly 30 min show would be a plus. They show repeats of NBC-USFL games already. But its also the local events and lower level marketing that help drive interest. Social Fedia will help too.
One thing Fox wanted to prove to themselves was could they run a league and do it well enough. They did - with the knowledge learned they can spend more resources/time elsewhere.

XFL is up first, they poached from them in 2022 and they will see what they do right and wrong in 2023. If they are nimble enough they can take what works and incorporate into their next season as well.