Xfl is getting income from espn from day 1 according to the athletic and xfl newshub

XFL Football discussion.
herns
Head Coach

Xfl is getting income from espn from day 1 according to the athletic and xfl newshub

Post by herns »

Tank55
MVP

Re: Xfl is getting income from espn from day 1 according to the athletic and xfl newshub

Post by Tank55 »

That's awesome, although the devil will be in the details. If ESPN is covering production costs, I would certainly consider that substantial. But that's basically the same deal XFL 2020 had. Which is great, just that we still don't know where XFL 3.0 is relative to XFL 2.0.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Xfl is getting income from espn from day 1 according to the athletic and xfl newshub

Post by GregParks »

The key quote from the article, to me, expands on the ESPN/money line from above:

“There is substantial income from day one,” the source texted of the ESPN contract, who then compared the league’s strategy to the 2020 startup version. “But every aspect of the overall plan is better, from the way they will leverage their new owners (which include Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson) … to the way they see the game being played, to the TV deals, to the marketplaces they chose, to the way they’re housing players, to fan engagement plans.”
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:32 am The key quote from the article, to me, expands on the ESPN/money line from above:

“There is substantial income from day one,” the source texted of the ESPN contract, who then compared the league’s strategy to the 2020 startup version. “But every aspect of the overall plan is better, from the way they will leverage their new owners (which include Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson) … to the way they see the game being played, to the TV deals, to the marketplaces they chose, to the way they’re housing players, to fan engagement plans.”
Its much like NBC's deal with Fox - some reported it as substantial - but no details.
I think if it was really substantial they would be transparent about it. There is really Zero transparency with the XFL.

Fox was transparent with the TV ad revenue. (and the article has the $ amount wrong - the $65mm figure was prior to the championship game. Also with their $150mm commitment and their looking for $150-200mm in outside investor money.

For the XFL It sounds like a better deal than 2020 XFL 2.0, but how could it not? Oliver Luck gave it away (sans prod costs) - IMO that's one reason VM shut it down. Its been reported speculated that its better in that it's a Rev Ad split after Prod costs. Is that enough? It was for now it seems.

Also the article points out that Tix revenue isn't the driver of revenue. - Right its all TV. Why XFL left NY and LA was likely cost but they gave up 10% net nielsen TV household market share, That's alot. From 22% down to 12.3%.

I still think they will merge, align or combine in some way.
Last edited by 4th&long on Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GregParks wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:32 am The key quote from the article, to me, expands on the ESPN/money line from above:

Yup, now that we’re getting info I’m getting more and more hopeful about this league. Looking forward to seeing my battlehawks again
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:50 am

Its much like NBC's deal with Fox - some reported it as substantial - but no details.
I think if it was really substantial they would be transparent about it. There is really Zero transparency with the XFL.

Fox was transparent with the TV ad revenue. (and the article has the $ amount wrong - the $65mm figure was prior to the championship game. Also with their $150mm commitment and their looking for $150-200mm in outside investor money.

For the XFL It sounds like a better deal than 2020 XFL 2.0, but how could it not? Oliver Luck gave it away (sans prod costs) - IMO that's one reason VM shut it down. Its been reported speculated that its better in that it's a Rev Ad split after Prod costs. Is that enough? It was for now it seems.

Also the article points out that Tix revenue isn't the driver of revenue. - Right its all TV. Why XFL left NY and LA was likely cost but they gave up 10% net nielsen TV household market share, That's alot. From 22% down to 12.3%.

As you know DG said early on that they wouldn’t move forward without a lucrative tv deal (something you pointed out multiple times) and I think this is an example of that. They got more than they needed or just enough of what they needed to proceed. We may never know the full details of the contract. Is the XFL going to parade around that they got paid XX millions of dollars? No way, not this group, but hearing substantial income from day one is great to hear and explains how plans went into gear after months of dormancy.

You think these two leagues will merge. I think everyone agrees that these networks need content, I know you’ve said that too. I think Fox and ESPN will be happy with each league as long as the numbers are respectable. So what’s going to cause this merger in your opinion? Do you think one of the leagues will lose the popularity/tv numbers? Or, will the cost of expanding become too much for one league to justify? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just don’t see it happening in the near future.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Gopher123 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:31 am

As you know DG said early on that they wouldn’t move forward without a lucrative tv deal (something you pointed out multiple times) and I think this is an example of that. They got more than they needed or just enough of what they needed to proceed. We may never know the full details of the contract. Is the XFL going to parade around that they got paid XX millions of dollars? No way, not this group, but hearing substantial income from day one is great to hear and explains how plans went into gear after months of dormancy.

You think these two leagues will merge. I think everyone agrees that these networks need content, I know you’ve said that too. I think Fox and ESPN will be happy with each league as long as the numbers are respectable. So what’s going to cause this merger in your opinion? Do you think one of the leagues will lose the popularity/tv numbers? Or, will the cost of expanding become too much for one league to justify? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just don’t see it happening in the near future.
I think the merge stuff comes from the athletic, they think the changes are high if both leagues have positive momentum after 2024 that merger talks start. The Endzone broke down the sticker and ig it says the viewership threshold for these leagues is about 500,000 so I think we’re gonna see them doing good by that standard going into 2025 if it causes a merger Is anyone guess
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Unless the merger talk came from the Athletic way before this last article then I think 4th said it way before. It’s definitely possible but I think the longer both leagues are successful the longer it will take for any merger, especially with the parties involved.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

I think the "lucrative deal" to move forward - never happened - it's why they almost gave up (MM said they almost did last yr) -It looks like a pivot, they may be leveraging Rock star power or Disney said we'll do this for that, OR RBC just stepped up. As I wrote above they will be getting at least a slightly better deal than the abysmal give away deal OL gave.
Hearing substantial income from an unnamed source isn't cutting it as real. And believe me if they got big money from Disney we would have heard about it - its great promotional material - that's what DG/Rock know best.

Plus XFL 3.0 IS looking at costs much more than XFL 2.0. That's a plus, but shows they are concerned about finances, which is prudent. Not being in NY and LA market says cost control more important than appealing to ESPN for TV viewers. That's interesting fact to me.

Now why merge? Costs for one. Pooling league costs saves money, especially at the top. Workers comp leveraging, other ins, leverage over vendors etc... Eliminating a competitor for players takes major pressure off player recruitment and costs. Its an exit strategy for XFL investors and/or USFL to cash out for a gain. One league will have much more leverage over the Networks, might be why Disney signed a 5 yr deal. Having said that - one league on 2-3 networks will get much more promotion. With a recession on and high inflation too - all this might make even more sense.
- And look at the way XFL and USFL are spread across the country... the leagues compliment each other. NY/NJ-Philly-DC all busable - even Pitt, TB/Orlando. The USFL is Central/East (sans Houston) while XFL is west of missippi sans DC/Orlando. And only one city overlap. This was by design.
- Here's another big reason: External investors may be hesitant investing in either league with the other one floating out there. Fear of making the "wrong" bet, fear of the 2 leagues competing into a cost war etc... If both leagues have serious potential investors telling them that... believe me they'll be talking.
And if they do have external investors - THEY could be the one pushing for it if they see that as best way to make money.

Mitigating resasons - targeted season (mid-Feb-April) vs (mid-April-June). Ego could come into play.

So I think merging is a strong possibility, in what form - who knows. But 2023 has to play out first.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:48 am

I think the "lucrative deal" to move forward - never happened - it's why they almost gave up (MM said they almost did last yr) -It looks like a pivot, they may be leveraging Rock star power or Disney said we'll do this for that, OR RBC just stepped up. As I wrote above they will be getting at least a slightly better deal than the abysmal give away deal OL gave.
Hearing substantial income from an unnamed source isn't cutting it as real. And believe me if they got big money from Disney we would have heard about it - its great promotional material - that's what DG/Rock know best.

Plus XFL 3.0 IS looking at costs much more than XFL 2.0. That's a plus, but shows they are concerned about finances, which is prudent. Not being in NY and LA market says cost control more important than appealing to ESPN for TV viewers. That's interesting fact to me.

Now why merge? Costs for one. Pooling league costs saves money, especially at the top. Workers comp leveraging, other ins, leverage over vendors etc... Eliminating a competitor for players takes major pressure off player recruitment and costs. Its an exit strategy for XFL investors and/or USFL to cash out for a gain. One league will have much more leverage over the Networks, might be why Disney signed a 5 yr deal. Having said that - one league on 2-3 networks will get much more promotion. With a recession on and high inflation too - all this might make even more sense.
- And look at the way XFL and USFL are spread across the country... the leagues compliment each other. NY/NJ-Philly-DC all busable - even Pitt, TB/Orlando. The USFL is Central/East (sans Houston) while XFL is west of missippi sans DC/Orlando. And only one city overlap. This was by design.
- Here's another big reason: External investors may be hesitant investing in either league with the other one floating out there. Fear of making the "wrong" bet, fear of the 2 leagues competing into a cost war etc... If both leagues have serious potential investors telling them that... believe me they'll be talking.
And if they do have external investors - THEY could be the one pushing for it if they see that as best way to make money.

Mitigating resasons - targeted season (mid-Feb-April) vs (mid-April-June). Ego could come into play.

So I think merging is a strong possibility, in what form - who knows. But 2023 has to play out first.
I don’t think the lucrative deal happened right away but I do think it happened to some extent. I also think this group wouldn’t disclose the money. I get what you’re saying - most would want to hype that but I think this group keeps this sort of thing in house. They don’t want everything out there. Like most leagues would advertise all the talent they have had at the showcases but this group isn’t bragging about that.They don’t really want that publicized or else we would see lists. Regardless I’m not looking to hammer away at these points, it’s more about your thoughts on the merger. I get the benefits but what do you think is going to cause it? One league not wanting to invest long term? One struggling for popularity? Both leagues being a hit and mutually agreeing to merge?