Coming Monday: XFL’s Whaley, Ross and Giglio on Zoom

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Coming Monday: XFL’s Whaley, Ross and Giglio on Zoom

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:52 pm For players at this level the difference between $45-55k is larger than an NFL QB taking a pay cut from $25M to $20 million. These guys have no real allegiance to either league, they want to first and foremost make an NFL roster, and secondly, get paid well while doing it.
its a base of $45k in USFL prior season and $50k XFL 2023 season. USFL 2023 base salary is TBD.
That's a $5k diff today and likely less - unless contractual.

I know what you are trying to say but $5mm is not $5k to anyone. Many factors will be at play here. Agreed players won't have allegiance to either league but there are other factors. Yes a few grand is one, but stability, having completed a year, transparency in financing - which could be a big one, head coaches, playing time, etc...
I see players, from a comp stand point, looking at these two leagues as interchangeable.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:37 pm
#1 - Let me give you an example AAF was paying $70k a year. XFL 2.0 countered publicly with $100-200k to blunt AAF, granted they ended up with $55k all in. But to move the needle they didn't offer $5k more they offer way more.
Nearest I can find on this is Oliver Luck saying "exceptional players" could earn $200,000 per season.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... er-season/

That was certainly not to be the standard salary but rather for the high-level QBs, which is what it ended up being. This $200,000 report came from a call with agents, and we saw this year how info in those calls can get lost in translation (remember the reports of 70-man regular season rosters after the April call?).

And according to Mike Mitchell, though I didn't hear it on the Zoom call last night, "top quarterbacks" will again be paid in the "high six figure range" in 2022.

@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:23 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:37 pm
#1 - Let me give you an example AAF was paying $70k a year. XFL 2.0 countered publicly with $100-200k to blunt AAF, granted they ended up with $55k all in. But to move the needle they didn't offer $5k more they offer way more.
Nearest I can find on this is Oliver Luck saying "exceptional players" could earn $200,000 per season.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... er-season/

That was certainly not to be the standard salary but rather for the high-level QBs, which is what it ended up being. This $200,000 report came from a call with agents, and we saw this year how info in those calls can get lost in translation (remember the reports of 70-man regular season rosters after the April call?).

And according to Mike Mitchell, though I didn't hear it on the Zoom call last night, "top quarterbacks" will again be paid in the "high six figure range" in 2022.

Right GP they were trying to blunt top players from signing with the AAF with that line, or the one similar below.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybarca ... a4aafa19fc

>> He said the biggest cost will be salaries for players and coaches. In the past, the XFL, which was co-owned by McMahon and NBC, paid players about $45,000 for the season. This time salaries for the 40-man squads are expected to average $75,000 with players who are "in demand making much more than that," according to reporting from Darren Rovell. <<
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

"I know numbers" and "90% is basically 100%" are not compatible statements. If you want to say they're close and/or that the USFL will be able to cover the gap no problem, fine. But denying that there is a gap at all is untruthful.

I think saving the serious money for the quarterbacks is smart. Very excited to see who they can land.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
jimbo
Rookie

Post by jimbo »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:41 am "I know numbers" and "90% is basically 100%" are not compatible statements. If you want to say they're close and/or that the USFL will be able to cover the gap no problem, fine. But denying that there is a gap at all is untruthful.

I think saving the serious money for the quarterbacks is smart. Very excited to see who they can land.
I agree with you, saving up some serious money for quarterbacks is a smart decision, and I hope they don't change it.
Astrology helps us understand our character traits, weaknesses, and strengths. Also, zodiac signs compatibility allows us to find the most suitable pair for us.