XFL Cities Official

XFL Football discussion.
super390
Receiver

Re: XFL Cities Official

Post by super390 »

GregParks wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:08 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:42 am
GregParks wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:15 am As I wrote in my piece for the site, there are some smaller indoor arenas they could use, but capacity would be lowest in the league. They might be able to get away with it for year one if they can continue negotiating with Allegiant to try to get there for year two.
Those smaller arenas don't look to have NFL size fields, or do they. T Mobile arena certainly doesn't.
That’s true, too. Can the indoor arenas in LV hold 100-yard fields (with sidelines) and are the ceilings high enough to handle long punts and field goals? If no, that certainly narrows the possibilities.
If such a thing were feasible with hockey arenas, wouldn't you be hearing about that all the time in other cities? I'm pretty knowledgeable about the history of playing 100-yard football in hockey arenas; it turns out that those were arenas so old that pro hockey didn't dictate the dimensions, like the old Chicago Stadium where the Bears and Giants once played an NFL championship game because the place had extra floor space to be a convention center. Once arenas were designed for hockey, they were locked into seating decks permanently anchored to leave room at maximum for 85-feet-wide rinks. That can't be squared with a 160-feet-wide NFL field.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

super390 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:27 pm
GregParks wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:08 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:42 am

Those smaller arenas don't look to have NFL size fields, or do they. T Mobile arena certainly doesn't.
That’s true, too. Can the indoor arenas in LV hold 100-yard fields (with sidelines) and are the ceilings high enough to handle long punts and field goals? If no, that certainly narrows the possibilities.
If such a thing were feasible with hockey arenas, wouldn't you be hearing about that all the time in other cities? I'm pretty knowledgeable about the history of playing 100-yard football in hockey arenas; it turns out that those were arenas so old that pro hockey didn't dictate the dimensions, like the old Chicago Stadium where the Bears and Giants once played an NFL championship game because the place had extra floor space to be a convention center. Once arenas were designed for hockey, they were locked into seating decks permanently anchored to leave room at maximum for 85-feet-wide rinks. That can't be squared with a 160-feet-wide NFL field.
That's right.

The few venues that can accommodate football and indoor sports were built with football in mind—the Carrier Dome, Alamodome, and back when it existed the Hoosier Dome.

In fact, arena football was designed specifically because its field dimensions matched what would fit for most standard hockey rinks. (And when they try to squeeze into basketball courts not built for hockey, there are often some amusing results—such as when a small-ball arena league set up shop in Westchester County.) I mean, they could get desperate and mark two-foot yards like Westchester did, but that would NOT fly at this level.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Lone Star wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:36 pm
MGB01 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:35 pm I guess they're going full speed ahead with the Arlington branding as opposed to Dallas or even DFW, creative. Course that could create an issue with Arlington VA being part of the DC metro.
I did not make much of it back when I saw the tweet in May, but the mayor of Dallas responded to a comment made about Frisco and said any new team not actually located in the Dallas city limits will not be able to use the Dallas moniker.

https://twitter.com/Johnson4Dallas/stat ... 7063401477

I really hope they go the Rangers route and use Texas __whatevers__ and not Arlington.
Well, considering that this is technically not a "new team" (it existed in 2020, same coach and all), they would be covered under a grandfather clause.
Lone Star
Running Back

Post by Lone Star »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:46 pm
MGB01 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:35 pm I guess they're going full speed ahead with the Arlington branding as opposed to Dallas or even DFW, creative. Course that could create an issue with Arlington VA being part of the DC metro.
I did not make much of it back when I saw the tweet in May, but the mayor of Dallas responded to a comment made about Frisco and said any new team not actually located in the Dallas city limits will not be able to use the Dallas moniker.

I really hope they go the Rangers route and use Texas __whatevers__ and not Arlington.
Well, considering that this is technically not a "new team" (it existed in 2020, same coach and all), they would be covered under a grandfather clause.
But didn't team business operations shut down? If this is the reason why they can't use Dallas Renegades, I could totally see Major Johnson being petty and rejecting the rebirthed team of reusing the name. He's had some wild sports opinions.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Lone Star wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:24 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:46 pm

But didn't team business operations shut down? If this is the reason why they can't use Dallas Renegades, I could totally see Major Johnson being petty and rejecting the rebirthed team of reusing the name. He's had some wild sports opinions.
With Dallas saying that an Arlington making a pitch in a similar way as Birmingham - Its going to be Arlington for sure. Will the Renegades name remain though or all new name? Logo/Unis will be new it seems.
Lone Star
Running Back

Post by Lone Star »

4th&long wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:02 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:46 pm Well, considering that this is technically not a "new team" (it existed in 2020, same coach and all), they would be covered under a grandfather clause.
With Dallas saying that an Arlington making a pitch in a similar way as Birmingham - Its going to be Arlington for sure. Will the Renegades name remain though or all new name? Logo/Unis will be new it seems.
Birmingham is fine though as it is the largest city in the largest metro in Alabama. Arlington is the the third largest city in DFW, has a bland name, and probably little name recognition outside of the South. Plus everyone on the East Coast, like mentioned before, probably associates the name Arlington with Arlington, VA.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Lone Star wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:24 pm
Birmingham is fine though as it is the largest city in the largest metro in Alabama. Arlington is the the third largest city in DFW, has a bland name, and probably little name recognition outside of the South. Plus everyone on the East Coast, like mentioned before, probably associates the name Arlington with Arlington, VA.
Agreed - I didn't say it was a good choice of a Team-City name. Just that its likely as per reasons in the posts in the quotes above.
Lone Star
Running Back

Post by Lone Star »

4th&long wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:43 pm

Agreed - I didn't say it was a good choice of a Team-City name. Just that its likely as per reasons in the posts in the quotes above.
Yuck, I am still not sold on the Frisco Fighters IFL team.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Lone Star wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:23 pm
4th&long wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:43 pm

Yuck, I am still not sold on the Frisco Fighters IFL team.
Yeah I can see Anaheim-style potential but I get that. It's almost like an attempt to leverage the Cotton Bowl, which, as with Legion as we've discussed prior, is just a total no-go.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Lone Star wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:24 am But didn't team business operations shut down? If this is the reason why they can't use Dallas Renegades, I could totally see Major Johnson being petty and rejecting the rebirthed team of reusing the name. He's had some wild sports opinions.
No. The XFL (under which all eight teams operate as a single business entity) was never dissolved; it went bankrupt but it was a Chapter 11, which keeps the business entity intact. That's what Johnson and Garcia bought in August 2020.

If the XFL had outright been shuttered or gone Chapter 7, and Johnson/Garcia had bought it that way, then the rule could kick in. But as it stands, the mayor of Dallas has no more authority to tell the XFL they can't call their team the Dallas Renegades as he does telling Jerry Jones he can't call his team the Dallas Cowboys (and good luck with that!).