The Rock on Expansion

XFL Football discussion.
Firecop
Coach

Re: The Rock on Expansion

Post by Firecop »

We will see a Hawaii team right after the Expansion XFL Antarctica Penguins take the field!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:05 pm
MarkNelson wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:45 pm You might not think so, but if there is an investor in Hawaii that is ready to purchase a franchise. Then there would be a business reason.
Exactly. A single-entity league isn't going to put a football team in Hawaii. A single rich guy or gal who really wants to own a team in Hawaii might.
That's the problem: there really isn't.

I remember this topic coming up when some listicle was mentioning potential NHL expansion franchises. NHL is probably the lowest-priced of any of the Big Four Leagues; a few hundred million will get you some of the teams in the league, so long as you don't move the Coyotes out of Phoenix (which for some odd reason is a huge no-no). The problem is that there are no billionaires in Hawaii—maybe one at the time, but he never showed any interest in sports and I don't remember his name.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:48 pm
Tank55 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:05 pm
MarkNelson wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:45 pm You might not think so, but if there is an investor in Hawaii that is ready to purchase a franchise. Then there would be a business reason.
Exactly. A single-entity league isn't going to put a football team in Hawaii. A single rich guy or gal who really wants to own a team in Hawaii might.
That's the problem: there really isn't.

I remember this topic coming up when some listicle was mentioning potential NHL expansion franchises. NHL is probably the lowest-priced of any of the Big Four Leagues; a few hundred million will get you some of the teams in the league, so long as you don't move the Coyotes out of Phoenix (which for some odd reason is a huge no-no). The problem is that there are no billionaires in Hawaii—maybe one at the time, but he never showed any interest in sports and I don't remember his name.
They don't want to move the Coyotes out of Phoenix because (unless it's Houston) other options are because they are smaller TV markets than Phoenix. And I don't think the NHL wants to lose the Phoenix market.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:48 pm The problem is that there are no billionaires in Hawaii—maybe one at the time, but he never showed any interest in sports and I don't remember his name.
How much is the Rock worth?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:28 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:48 pm The problem is that there are no billionaires in Hawaii—maybe one at the time, but he never showed any interest in sports and I don't remember his name.
How much is the Rock worth?
about $300-350mm
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

One slight adjustment they need if the cities and division alignments I saw are right....it should be north and south rather than east and west.
Like right now, they have SA in the east....along with St. Louis, DC, and Orlando. Houston and Dallas are west with Seattle and Las Vegas.
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the three Texas teams in the south with Orlando with the others in the north?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

At the very least, San Antonio going east instead of Houston wouldn't make any sense.

But in terms of minimizing total travel, the practice hub in Dallas makes everything a bit different, I think.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Sounder wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:48 am One slight adjustment they need if the cities and division alignments I saw are right....it should be north and south rather than east and west.
Like right now, they have SA in the east....along with St. Louis, DC, and Orlando. Houston and Dallas are west with Seattle and Las Vegas.
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the three Texas teams in the south with Orlando with the others in the north?
Probably keep Dallas and Houston together. There's no rule that you have to have every team in a state in the same division.

And the opposite would have Seattle in the same division with DC. Sure we're two years from having USC/UCLA in the same conference as Rutgers/Maryland but it's not like they're going to be in the same division (unless they pull that Legends/Leaders crap again). Besides, you could argue that this has happened in the NFL (late 60's Coastal, 1970-2001 NFC West), but kinda runs counter to 'tomorrow's league' if you're using yesterday's (hell, two days before yesterday's) alignments.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I guess from a total travel perspective, the divisions literally don't matter in 2023. No matter how you slice it, you're going to have two teams traveling from to Dallas each city five times.

From a balanced travel perspective, it does matter. If you put all the Texas teams together, you're compounding the advantage they already have -- in addition to the Renegades five home games with 0 miles travel, now they'll also have two road trips that could be bus rides.

So something like this might make the most sense:

Sea
Dal
LV
Stl

SA
Hou
Orl
DC