Semi-OT. Apple acquires MLS rights

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Semi-OT. Apple acquires MLS rights

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:15 pm
Sounder wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:00 pm I thought the idea behind all that expansion was to grow their footprint for tv. If that's not the case, might that spell trouble?
Don't kid yourself.

Expansion teams are about one thing first and foremost, and that is expansion fees. Each new team means a few extra million for every other team in the league. That goes for every professional sports league in existence.

The only reason major leagues don't do it more often is because they're much less willing to see an expansion team fail.
Johnny...
Especially for the MLS which many have called a ponzi scheme, keep expanding to cover other teams cost.

The other reason they don't expand is it dilutes their revenue share from league revenue sources. But for MLS expansion fees IS the League wide rev source. This is why they needed that Apple deal (desparate). They've run out of large mkts to expand. And MLS teams are already over valued vs mature leagues (Value to revenue).

Sounder...
you would think having a national league footprint would help... but not always. MLS is like MLB fans are homers, they watch their team... vs FB where people will watch other teams too (aka TNF, SNF, MNF are good examples). It's truly amazing how low their ratings still are with what 27 teams and being around for 25 or so years?

It will be interesting to see what ESPN and FOX do in 2023, ie if they pick up games when they aren't exclusive.
ESPN now has NHL/NBA still some MLB and XFL. Fox has USFL/Nascar. July Aug needs some filler.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

There's speculation that Apple could go after Sunday Ticket.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:29 pm There's speculation that Apple could go after Sunday Ticket.
They and Amazon seem to be the leading bidders. I'd give the edge to Amazon given the history the league has with them but I wouldn't count Apple out yet.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Well....guess aside from the Sounders, who televise on local tv here....I'll never see MLS for the next ten years.....is this really the direction they went to go?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Sounder wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:26 pm Well....guess aside from the Sounders, who televise on local tv here....I'll never see MLS for the next ten years.....is this really the direction they went to go?
Will it remain on local TV?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:59 pm
Sounder wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:26 pm Well....guess aside from the Sounders, who televise on local tv here....I'll never see MLS for the next ten years.....is this really the direction they went to go?
Will it remain on local TV?
I have heard that they are still talking to their current TV partners as well.