Updated info on XFL player acquisition

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Updated info on XFL player acquisition

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:27 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:05 pm Honestly, that’s not within the scope of his job, so he may just be confused on the exact numbers. He’s probably directionally correct in that they set modest goals and were modestly exceeding them through five weeks.
That would be my guess. He certainly didn't have the numbers right in front of him, and it was more than two years ago.
It comes across as a bit amateurish to me, it doesn't have to be perfect but he is way off. Or come across as lowering expectations for 2023. Albeit it 8 months away so not an issue as yet.

But lets assume the 750k target audience was true then with 8 teams including in 22% of HH markets... In that case the USFL (with 16% HH markets and spring) through week 9 for both cable & broadcast is at 704k. Keep in mind XFL 3.0 has a projected 12+% HH markets with the cities speculated.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:01 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:05 pm Honestly, that’s not within the scope of his job, so he may just be confused on the exact numbers. He’s probably directionally correct in that they set modest goals and were modestly exceeding them through five weeks.
That would be my guess. He certainly didn't have the numbers right in front of him, and it was more than two years ago.
It comes across as a bit amateurish to me, it doesn't have to be perfect but he is way off. Or come across as lowering expectations for 2023. Albeit it 8 months away so not an issue as yet.

But lets assume the 750k target audience was true then with 8 teams including in 22% of HH markets... In that case the USFL (with 16% HH markets and spring) through week 9 for both cable & broadcast is at 704k. Keep in mind XFL 3.0 has a projected 12+% HH markets with the cities speculated.
It's really not that big a deal. He's going off data from over 2 years ago and obviously didn't have the numbers in front of him. It's not like the media is going to fact check him either. I always suspected XFL 2.0 publicly released low projections to make them look better when they hit those soft targets. I remember XFL 1.0 catching heat for falling below the 25k fans per game expectations, even though they drew just over 24k a game. Imagine being upset over 24k fans a game.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:14 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:01 pm

It's really not that big a deal. He's going off data from over 2 years ago and obviously didn't have the numbers in front of him. It's not like the media is going to fact check him either. I always suspected XFL 2.0 publicly released low projections to make them look better when they hit those soft targets. I remember XFL 1.0 catching heat for falling below the 25k fans per game expectations, even though they drew just over 24k a game. Imagine being upset over 24k fans a game.
I never heard these projected number by XFL 2.0, during that time or thru today. I have no idea if they are accurate or not. His actuals are way off so who knows.
AltFootballFan
Kicker

Post by AltFootballFan »

Could those numbers be the Demo numbers?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

AltFootballFan wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:52 pm Could those numbers be the Demo numbers?
No, looks like that was in 700-750 range pulled up by week 1 looking at showbuzz

It will be interesting what they end up projecting/getting in 2023:

- 1 week later start (before March Madness really kicks in) due to NFL 18 week season - less full winter games
- smaller TV markets projected (nothing official yet) but 22% Households vs projected 12.3%
- Only one network promoting them
- Likely less broadcast/major cable games
- delayed naming of cities vs XFL 2.0
- Playing in market only vs practicing & playing in market 2020
- ABC/ESPN did not have NHL in 2020