Team names for San Antonio, Las Vegas and Orlando?

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Team names for San Antonio, Las Vegas and Orlando?

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:46 am We all remember that Orlando's WFL team was the Florida Blazers, right? I'm all for bringing back old brands, but as the USFL has demonstrated, that is probably going to be accompanied by a lawsuit or two.

Well, there's no really clear ownership in that case: the owner of the Blazers later had to surrender everything because he bought the team with money from selling cocaine, and he died in 1998 anyway. It'd be very difficult to prove there is still any sort of copyright/trademark/intellectual property still valid out there. (Case in point, a semi-pro league in Oklahoma and Texas blatantly rebranded itself as a WFL revival from 2008 to 2010, with nary a peep from anyone. The original WFL was nowhere near even the original USFL in terms of well-planned-out organization.)
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:33 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:46 am We all remember that Orlando's WFL team was the Florida Blazers, right? I'm all for bringing back old brands, but as the USFL has demonstrated, that is probably going to be accompanied by a lawsuit or two.

Well, there's no really clear ownership in that case: the owner of the Blazers later had to surrender everything because he bought the team with money from selling cocaine, and he died in 1998 anyway. It'd be very difficult to prove there is still any sort of copyright/trademark/intellectual property still valid out there. (Case in point, a semi-pro league in Oklahoma and Texas blatantly rebranded itself as a WFL revival from 2008 to 2010, with nary a peep from anyone. The original WFL was nowhere near even the original USFL in terms of well-planned-out organization.)
On that front, the San Antonio Gunslingers are an operating team in the NAL, and much like the Blazers you can't track anything down so I suspect that's why it was easy to get.

The UFL, the remnants of the Gridiron League or the one that tried to hilariously call themselves the UNFL and claiming the histories of the 60s and the 2009-2012 leagues, still supposedly being a thing (although I totally suspect maybe 17 people know about it) is the king of comedy. They secretly added two more teams that won't play, and actually have a 2023 schedule already set--even hyping games up as "the next great rivalry" :lol:

The whole thing just looks like a sim league, I actually emailed them a few months back see if they have anyone who wanted to be in mine. Haven't heard back....................yet
XFL Crusader
Receiver

Post by XFL Crusader »

Las Vegas Outlaws

San Antonio Alamos

Orlando Last Resorts
Stallions and Vipers fan

2022 USFL Champions
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Semipro teams aren't worth suing. You show up on ESPN and people will start kicking the tires. And the lack of clear ownership makes it more complicated, imo. If there was no doubt you could just go buy the IP.

For the record, I totally support reviving old brands. It just presents some hurdles.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

When you have a history, no matter how slight....it should be celebrated just as the USFL had done, because people do remember....therefore if you go to LV, it's the Outlaws, Orlando is the Rage....and as for San Antonio....I believe the Renegades name and colors would fit right in if you're not returning to Dallas.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The only thing we're 100% sure about is that they are returning to Dallas.

If they could snap up the San Antonio Commanders IP, that would be such an easy win. They were the AAF's BattleHawks.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:29 pm The only thing we're 100% sure about is that they are returning to Dallas.

If they could snap up the San Antonio Commanders IP, that would be such an easy win. They were the AAF's BattleHawks.
How are they going to do that when Washington's NFL team snatched up the Commanders name a few months ago?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:26 pm How are they going to do that when Washington's NFL team snatched up the Commanders name a few months ago?
Uh, I assume the same way the USFL is using the Panthers name.