Team names for San Antonio, Las Vegas and Orlando?

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Team names for San Antonio, Las Vegas and Orlando?

Post by 4th&long »

super390 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:13 am Given that San Francisco was the most popular team in the original XFL, and Oakland is being stripped of its teams, I can't see why Las Vegas is a preferred location to the Bay Area in 2023. Especially playing before baseball season. Las Vegas is a small city with a small metropolitan population.

What could one call a new Oakland team that safely echoes the Raiders?
California is a high cost to operate state, NV (at least for now) is a biz friendly state to operate in. Esp Workers Comp ins which is a high cost in FB even if its just for the game itself. Neither league is looking at CA by all indicators. Look at the states XFL is targeting - Tx, Fl, Nv, Missouri only truly DC is high cost.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

If there's anything I've learned over the years of alt-football, it's that the eventual team names will always be something we totally don't predict.

I'd love to see the Rage and Outlaws names come back but I'm not counting on it, especially since Vince Neil was the last one to own the Outlaws moniker.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:18 pm If there's anything I've learned over the years of alt-football, it's that the eventual team names will always be something we totally don't predict.

I'd love to see the Rage and Outlaws names come back but I'm not counting on it, especially since Vince Neil was the last one to own the Outlaws moniker.
I always thought the Rage was a silly team name, but apparently it’s pretty popular. I do love the Outlaws. But I agree, it’s hard to guess what the owners are thinking
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MarkNelson wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:23 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:18 pm If there's anything I've learned over the years of alt-football, it's that the eventual team names will always be something we totally don't predict.

I always thought the Rage was a silly team name, but apparently it’s pretty popular. I do love the Outlaws. But I agree, it’s hard to guess what the owners are thinking
Well, the whole league had silly names in 2001. I don't think it's the greatest, either, though I personally think the logo and jersey font was far more garish—and as an embarrassment, Rage pales in comparison to Memphis Maniax and New York/New Jersey Hitmen. The only reason I'd like to see it back is to bring it into continuity with the old XFL.

If we're going to go past names, I do like the Apollos brand better—Blazers or Americans would resonate pretty well, too.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

The Americans would be a great team name for the XFL, but I think the Blazers would be more suited for a future FCF team, don’t ya think? :D
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Gopher123 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:53 pm The Americans would be a great team name for the XFL, but I think the Blazers would be more suited for a future FCF team, don’t ya think? :D
If you went with Orlando Blazers instead of branding it Florida there might a chance to carve out a new identity--other than the off-chance somebody thinks that Jonathan Isaac, Jalen Suggs, Markelle Fultz, and Mo Bamba all just got traded to Portland.

Much as I'm a fan of the Rage name they did have the Predator revival which went horribly at the start and was actually probably saved by the shutdown. So for that reason, blazing a new trail (yes, what I did there) might be in order.

And Americans? nah. I guess if you were trying to pump FX but I'd also imagine you wouldn't do it with a show from the pre-Disney era, although the San Antonio Shield would be a lo-key killer name (Las Vegas Anarchy?).
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

We all remember that Orlando's WFL team was the Florida Blazers, right? I'm all for bringing back old brands, but as the USFL has demonstrated, that is probably going to be accompanied by a lawsuit or two.

2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

It'd be easy to move Vipers from TB to Orlando and Wildcats from LA to San Antonio (not sure that moniker would fit LV). And bring the Outlaws back to Vegas - though there may have been a semi-pro team using that name at some point?

I also acknowledge the reality that none of this will actually happen.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GregParks wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:24 am It'd be easy to move Vipers from TB to Orlando and Wildcats from LA to San Antonio (not sure that moniker would fit LV). And bring the Outlaws back to Vegas - though there may have been a semi-pro team using that name at some point?

I also acknowledge the reality that none of this will actually happen.
An Arena team used the Outlaws name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vegas ... _football)

I also think it's a pipe dream, but the XFL Outlaws were a legitimately great brand and I'd absolutely explore brining it back.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:46 am We all remember that Orlando's WFL team was the Florida Blazers, right? I'm all for bringing back old brands, but as the USFL has demonstrated, that is probably going to be accompanied by a lawsuit or two.

TBH, I don't think a lawsuit happens if Fox didn't add the cities to the team names and just had the team names. Or they go with different cities, ones that were not in the original USFL. Like instead of the Houston Gamblers, it's the Austin Gamblers or instead of the New Jersey Generals, it's the Hartford Generals.