How do you save money having teams in Arlington?

XFL Football discussion.
Joker
Quarterback

How do you save money having teams in Arlington?

Post by Joker »

What am I missing? If you have all teams in Arlington, and they travel to the cities for games, isn’t that two teams that need to travel to each game.

So, instead of travel costs being 4 teams x 10 weeks = travel costs for 40 teams, you have 8 teams x 10 weeks = 80 travel costs, minus five x two teams for Dallas home games, leaves you with 70 teams travelling.

I know there must be savings, but where? Not having to setup offices in each city? But, you need staff in each city to sell sponsorships and do local promotions. They work out of Starbucks?

Are there other savings I am missing?
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
4th&long
MVP

Re: How do you save money having teams in Arlington?

Post by 4th&long »

Joker wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:18 pm What am I missing? If you have all teams in Arlington, and they travel to the cities for games, isn’t that two teams that need to travel to each game.

So, instead of travel costs being 4 teams x 10 weeks = travel costs for 40 teams, you have 8 teams x 10 weeks = 80 travel costs, minus five x two teams for Dallas home games, leaves you with 70 teams travelling.

I know there must be savings, but where? Not having to setup offices in each city? But, you need staff in each city to sell sponsorships and do local promotions. They work out of Starbucks?

Workers comp ins.

Also lower cost state to operate.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Joker wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:18 pm What am I missing? If you have all teams in Arlington, and they travel to the cities for games, isn’t that two teams that need to travel to each game.

Rent for practice facilities is probably the biggest one. That, and I suppose it wouldn't be that much more expensive to fly two teams to a game site than one team (economics of scale and all, though that would likely be easier if you didn't have rosters the size of a pro football team).
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Cheaper housing in Texas. May be able to score a deal with a national hotel chain and/or airline for discounted boarding and travel. It's not ideal, but better than the alternative. It will be harder to engage local media however. I'm pretty sure the Battlehawks had a weekly coach's show on local radio and even the Guardians would get some air time on radio in the NY market. Not having access to coaches or players during the week in season may hurt the leagues viability to an extent.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:59 am Cheaper housing in Texas. May be able to score a deal with a national hotel chain and/or airline for discounted boarding and travel. It's not ideal, but better than the alternative. It will be harder to engage local media however. I'm pretty sure the Battlehawks had a weekly coach's show on local radio and even the Guardians would get some air time on radio in the NY market. Not having access to coaches or players during the week in season may hurt the leagues viability to an extent.
It's Workers Comp Ins and other ins which is why the AAF Orlando Apollos practiced in Georgia but played in Orlando.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:42 am Rent for practice facilities is probably the biggest one. That, and I suppose it wouldn't be that much more expensive to fly two teams to a game site than one team (economics of scale and all, though that would likely be easier if you didn't have rosters the size of a pro football team).
Okay, you’re right. That could be a big one.

If you’re paying for a practice facility by the hour, then it could be the same expense no matter where. But in Arlington you could block book a single facility for 10 weeks and share it. Save money there for sure.

I guess we will never see a breakdown of expenses, so just something to think about.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

They've recreated the NBA's Texas Triangle. Now if only the high-speed rail were ready to go between them.
But there's buses going dirt-cheap between those cities.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

super390 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:22 am They've recreated the NBA's Texas Triangle. Now if only the high-speed rail were ready to go between them.
But there's buses going dirt-cheap between those cities.
Its obvious that an 8 team league having 3 in Texas is cost to operate. Travel within texas will be cheaper due to bus vs flight.
But this is driven by Workers comp. They will be flying back and forth each week from local cities which increases travel cost, that's to avoid Workers Comp and other HI.