The "Defenders" no longer, says former DC staffer

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: The "Defenders" no longer, says former DC staffer

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:11 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:58 am
So my question is if this XFL is so different from prior liked XFL, why the excitement for XFL?
Do you make room at all for the possibility that, even though you may disagree, others may like the new ownership, like what they've said they want this league to be about, like the head coaching hires, and believe they've made a lot of good moves since taking over?
Sure Greg, we all are wanting more FB. My point is they are acting like its the XFL 2.0. It's not.
Excited about team ownership? Sure some are. My point is why, a three year delay, move away from existing cities, , a failed (waste of time) CFL merger, rebranding teams,3 novice coaches let alone HCs, no talk of financing. Delayed announcements after saying X weeks. Are those legit concerns?
I'm just saying its more faith than facts. I get it The Rock is super celeb and likable character.

Its a question not a statement. This because in the past people were questioning these launches, financing, TV Rights vs TV pay, etc... What do they want this league to be about that's not already ingrained in all these leagues?

I'm playing devils advocate here, of course people like diff things. However there's little meat on the bones (some with the Media deal and coaches named yes). It appears like there's alot of residual love for XFL 2.0 carry over and getting a pass.

Now do I want XFL to succeed? Sure - if its more focused on the FB like the other leagues have been. But I am concerned these leagues harm each other. Hopefully not.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GregParks wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:34 am XFL 2.0 is not coming back. People need to deal with that at this point.
That's the point I keep making - yet everyone is comparing USFL to XFL - as if XFL 2.0 is coming back.

XFL 3.0 is to XFL 2.0 as USFL 2.0 is to USFL 1.0 - Period.

So everyone saying (more on Twitter than here) that XFL is better than USFL (and vice versa) is referencing something that's GONE.

So my question is if this XFL is so different from prior liked XFL, why the excitement for XFL? I mean sure I want winter/spring FB and I'm all in. But to me they are all the same. What I see in USFL has been pretty good. I do like winter over spring personally. But has USFL on field been so diff from XFL 2.0 to really turn people off? Doubtful.
Would some fans much prefer games be local so they could attend - sure. But from a TV viewing prespective that's moot. So the only diff is 3/4 of games w/o fans.

Right now its wait and see what XFL 3.0 will be.
I think that's a ludicrous analogy.

There is a distinct paper trail between XFL 2.0 and XFL 3.0. At least some of the executives are the same. A majority of the markets look like they will be the same. The big broadcast partner is the same. One of the key new owners was a longtime employee of the previous owner. And most importantly, it's been less than three years, much of that due to an unprecedented pandemic and the utter failure of harmful policies that didn't do squat to help in the long run.

Will XFL 3.0 look exactly like XFL 2.0? Of course not. But the world isn't the way it was in February 2020, either. I still firmly believe that the XFL 3.0 will end up looking a lot more like the XFL 2.0 than certain people here will ever admit.

This is not some guy squatting on abandoned trademarks from 30+ years ago, throwing together a league in bumpuck Alabama and calling it the next incarnation of the closest thing to an NFL challenger that has existed in 60 years.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:52 pm
GregParks wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:34 am XFL 2.0 is not coming back. People need to deal with that at this point.
That's the point I keep making - yet everyone is comparing USFL to XFL - as if XFL 2.0 is coming back.

XFL 3.0 is to XFL 2.0 as USFL 2.0 is to USFL 1.0 - Period.

So everyone saying (more on Twitter than here) that XFL is better than USFL (and vice versa) is referencing something that's GONE.

So my question is if this XFL is so different from prior liked XFL, why the excitement for XFL? I mean sure I want winter/spring FB and I'm all in. But to me they are all the same. What I see in USFL has been pretty good. I do like winter over spring personally. But has USFL on field been so diff from XFL 2.0 to really turn people off? Doubtful.
Would some fans much prefer games be local so they could attend - sure. But from a TV viewing prespective that's moot. So the only diff is 3/4 of games w/o fans.

Right now its wait and see what XFL 3.0 will be.
I think that's a ludicrous analogy.

There is a distinct paper trail between XFL 2.0 and XFL 3.0. At least some of the executives are the same. A majority of the markets look like they will be the same. The big broadcast partner is the same. One of the key new owners was a longtime employee of the previous owner. And most importantly, it's been less than three years, much of that due to an unprecedented pandemic and the utter failure of harmful policies that didn't do squat to help in the long run.

Will XFL 3.0 look exactly like XFL 2.0? Of course not. But the world isn't the way it was in February 2020, either. I still firmly believe that the XFL 3.0 will end up looking a lot more like the XFL 2.0 than certain people here will ever admit.

This is not some guy squatting on abandoned trademarks from 30+ years ago, throwing together a league in bumpuck Alabama and calling it the next incarnation of the closest thing to an NFL challenger that has existed in 60 years.
Come on now. Really, new owners 100%. Same broadcast partner - (there are only 2 avail) but new deal.
Rebrand. 7/8 new HC's , new cities
yes there is some overlap , but that much and where it counts at the Top.

Agreed USFL is no connection other than branding, which is OK based on what we've seen all along.

Time will tell on XFL. Remember RBC has never run a biz.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:26 pm I'm playing devils advocate here
Whatever it is you're doing, it's not playing. That would require an ability to put yourself in other's shoes, consider and inspect positions that are not your own. You actually are an anti-XFL partisan.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

herns wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:14 am
Gopher123 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:00 am I’m not sure the XFL has as much say in this as people are speculating. A few months back I saw a series of tweets about the XFL renewing the trademarks of all their teams. Most all the teams had theirs renewed but I remember specifically they were having trouble with getting the Defenders renewed. This is very likely that and nothing more, the league may just have no choice but change it. I don’t see this as a sign all the teams are rebranding or DC won’t have a team. Again, let’s not jump to conclusions until we know more.
https://twitter.com/the_markcast/status ... jTTh3Y8tUA

Looks like they own the defenders name just maybe not using it

I never heard that it was actually renewed so I’m not sure what the status actually is. Perhaps whatever issues they had forced them to make a change. They don’t need another Roughnecks issue a year in.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

SInce we totally bought into the Seattle Dragons in 2.0, if they rebrand the Dragons (Assuming there is still a Seattle team), I'll watch them, I'll root for them, but we won't be buying any merch! Rebranding teams just for the sake of it would be a terrible decison IMO. I did notice back in 2.0 though, that none of the teams had their city names on their uniforms, so they could easily have moved them to another city.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:41 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:26 pm I'm playing devils advocate here
Whatever it is you're doing, it's not playing. That would require an ability to put yourself in other's shoes, consider and inspect positions that are not your own. You actually are an anti-XFL partisan.
oh yawn

im not anti xfl , im skeptical totally

im totally get peoples likes and dislikes thats more emotional here though
im pointing out some inconsistency in opinion
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Whatever you say, Donnie.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

There's a few reasons I'm excited for the XFL 3.0. First of all I'm team alt-football, but that doesn't mean I always look through rose colored glasses here.

The ownership team is top notch. The Rock will draw eyeballs, Redbird has the money, and Danny is a workhorse. I'm very confident in their abilities.

Crowds-I'm looking forward to beer snakes, sold out lower bowls in St. Louis, and a sea of team branded t-shirts and merchandise being worn by fans. Is the football important? Absolutely, it is. But it's never going to be the NFL so there needs to be some sizzle because the steak just won't be good enough to the majority of football fans. If it were the USFL would be drawing 2+ million every week, not 250k-900k.

Disney/ESPN- having the WorldWide Leader on board is huge. There's a good chance we'll see legit fantasy football, maybe not year 1 but by season 2 or 3 via ESPN. Getting actual highlights and analysis on SportsCenter will be huge as well. ESPN is ingrained in sports fans minds and no other network even comes close.

Coaches- Another case of having the sizzle with some steak. Look I respect Mike Riley, but that's not going to get the average football fan to turn in. I also don't want to see an 80 year old Jerry Glanville or Steve Spurrier hobbling along the sidelines. Give the new guys a chance. I'd bet dollars to donuts the first game featuring Rod Woodson as coach will draw a better local rating than the Maulers in the Pittsburgh market. Big names draw plain and simple, we saw it with Cardale Jones. Eventually the cream will rise to the top and I'm way more confident the XFL and Disney can make stars out if its players than Fox and the USFL is currently doing.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:30 am There's a few reasons I'm excited for the XFL 3.0. First of all I'm team alt-football, but that doesn't mean I always look through rose colored glasses here.

The ownership team is top notch. The Rock will draw eyeballs, Redbird has the money, and Danny is a workhorse. I'm very confident in their abilities.

Crowds-I'm looking forward to beer snakes, sold out lower bowls in St. Louis, and a sea of team branded t-shirts and merchandise being worn by fans. Is the football important? Absolutely, it is. But it's never going to be the NFL so there needs to be some sizzle because the steak just won't be good enough to the majority of football fans. If it were the USFL would be drawing 2+ million every week, not 250k-900k.

Disney/ESPN- having the WorldWide Leader on board is huge. There's a good chance we'll see legit fantasy football, maybe not year 1 but by season 2 or 3 via ESPN. Getting actual highlights and analysis on SportsCenter will be huge as well. ESPN is ingrained in sports fans minds and no other network even comes close.

Coaches- Another case of having the sizzle with some steak. Look I respect Mike Riley, but that's not going to get the average football fan to turn in. I also don't want to see an 80 year old Jerry Glanville or Steve Spurrier hobbling along the sidelines. Give the new guys a chance. I'd bet dollars to donuts the first game featuring Rod Woodson as coach will draw a better local rating than the Maulers in the Pittsburgh market. Big names draw plain and simple, we saw it with Cardale Jones. Eventually the cream will rise to the top and I'm way more confident the XFL and Disney can make stars out if its players than Fox and the USFL is currently doing.
And who's going to do that? I can't see many of the NFL people that they have doing that. Maybe Diana Russini since she covered the last XFL in 2020 but that's it. And maybe that's all they need?