The "Defenders" no longer, says former DC staffer

XFL Football discussion.
lazyriver
Rookie

The "Defenders" no longer, says former DC staffer

Post by lazyriver »

From former DC Defenders content director... if XFL 3.0 brings back DC as rumored, he's been told they won't be the Defenders.

https://twitter.com/TroyMachir/status/1 ... 5929123841

Seems like we could get a rebrand for all 8 teams at this point ??
Tank55
MVP

Re: The "Defenders" no longer, says former DC staffer

Post by Tank55 »

Devastating, if true. To what end? Why even buy the IP?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Eventually we will see all the new XFL has to reveal. I always thought branding was something they didn't have to worry about, with the exception of Houston's logos of course. Then they rebranded the league itself. Everything is on the table?
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Yeah. It won't surprise me. It will bum me out.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:15 pm Eventually we will see all the new XFL has to reveal. I always thought branding was something they didn't have to worry about, with the exception of Houston's logos of course. Then they rebranded the league itself. Everything is on the table?
Well - either all the teams are rebranded to maximize future merch sales, but risks alienating the fan base. But it sounds to me like they are OUT of the DC market. Audi field is in the city limits and for this league, DC is a high cost bloated city. What little we have seen of this league is they are looking to cut costs.
Last edited by 4th&long on Thu May 19, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if teams were all re-branded. I wouldn't be in favor of it, but this new ownership showed in the re-branding of the league logo that they weren't married to anything necessarily from 2020 (and if they hadn't come up with the "two sides of the 'X' merging into one" branding it wouldn't have surprised me if they had ditched "XFL" for something else, too).

To be quite frank, I'm not sure how much equity had been built up in such a short amount of time with these names to where a re-brand would be seen as audacious to the general public (i.e. not us). Maybe the BattleHawks.

I figured if the XFL is really behind in getting things ramped up for 2023, having to spend the time and energy to re-brand the teams would be a hassle they wouldn't want to deal with, not to mention lawyers fees to apply for new trademarks and paying designers to come up with new logos and nicknames. Could've saved a few bucks there.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:02 pm Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if teams were all re-branded. I wouldn't be in favor of it, but this new ownership showed in the re-branding of the league logo that they weren't married to anything necessarily from 2020 (and if they hadn't come up with the "two sides of the 'X' merging into one" branding it wouldn't have surprised me if they had ditched "XFL" for something else, too).

To be quite frank, I'm not sure how much equity had been built up in such a short amount of time with these names to where a re-brand would be seen as audacious to the general public (i.e. not us). Maybe the BattleHawks.

I figured if the XFL is really behind in getting things ramped up for 2023, having to spend the time and energy to re-brand the teams would be a hassle they wouldn't want to deal with, not to mention lawyers fees to apply for new trademarks and paying designers to come up with new logos and nicknames. Could've saved a few bucks there.
Well Greg this goes back to my 10/2/2020 post. Like you just said - Why bother? But I do disagree a bit, the short XFL had been favorable in fans eyes. Not only do they risk not leveraging that but actually could alienate those fans who - lets face it - just want XFL 2.0 back. Now maybe they will keep branding for cities they stay in, who knows.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

This sucks, hope the battlehawks stay but I’m not sure even they’re a guarantee. I was confident going in that if they rebranded teams it’d be cool stuff but then saw the new logo and lost that confidence in them
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:31 pm
GregParks wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:02 pm Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if teams were all re-branded. I wouldn't be in favor of it, but this new ownership showed in the re-branding of the league logo that they weren't married to anything necessarily from 2020 (and if they hadn't come up with the "two sides of the 'X' merging into one" branding it wouldn't have surprised me if they had ditched "XFL" for something else, too).

But I do disagree a bit, the short XFL had been favorable in fans eyes. Not only do they risk not leveraging that but actually could alienate those fans who - lets face it - just want XFL 2.0 back. Now maybe they will keep branding for cities they stay in, who knows.
XFL 2.0 is not coming back. People need to deal with that at this point.
@gregmparks
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

GregParks wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:34 am
XFL 2.0 is not coming back. People need to deal with that at this point.
True. Expect many changes. Hey, they brought Dean Blandino back. There is that. 😀
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers