FOX 26 Houston: XFL returning to Houston/TDECU Stadium

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

FOX 26 Houston: XFL returning to Houston/TDECU Stadium

Post by Tank55 »

Source: The University of Houston (@UHouston) and TDECU Stadium will host games in the XFL when the league begins play in 2023. @XFL2023 @UHCougars
https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/sta ... 8318721027

Berman is the Sports Director of Houston's Fox affiliate.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Head Coach

Re: FOX 26 Houston: XFL returning to Houston/TDECU Stadium

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:22 am
Source: The University of Houston (@UHouston) and TDECU Stadium will host games in the XFL when the league begins play in 2023. @XFL2023 @UHCougars
https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/sta ... 8318721027

Berman is the Sports Director of Houston's Fox affiliate.
I wonder if the roughnecks name returns or not, if so I think xfl has the Houston market locked up if it’s a rebrand I’m less certain
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

They've already abandoned the logos. I don't think the name is worth salvaging if you can't use oil industry imagery. Even with it, it was pretty clunky. So my bet is on a rebrand, but definitely curious to see the direction they take.

Honestly, I think there's a very real chance that they rebrand all of the teams, although I think that would be a mistake.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:03 am They've already abandoned the logos. I don't think the name is worth salvaging if you can't use oil industry imagery. Even with it, it was pretty clunky. So my bet is on a rebrand, but definitely curious to see the direction they take.

Honestly, I think there's a very real chance that they rebrand all of the teams, although I think that would be a mistake.
Rebranding would 100% be a mistake imo. I think even with other logos the names bring value, with a brand new name instead of going with the roughnecks I think it also leaves the door open for a spring football war for Houston where if they kept some form of the same branding I think the xfl would win by default
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:07 am
Tank55 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:03 am They've already abandoned the logos. I don't think the name is worth salvaging if you can't use oil industry imagery. Even with it, it was pretty clunky. So my bet is on a rebrand, but definitely curious to see the direction they take.

Rebranding would 100% be a mistake imo. I think even with other logos the names bring value, with a brand new name instead of going with the roughnecks I think it also leaves the door open for a spring football war for Houston where if they kept some form of the same branding I think the xfl would win by default
Well the rebranded the league even if they keep the names they may rebrand to max out Revenue for themselves. Of course they lose more of the goodwill they've already lost in 3 years.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

If you want to keep the name, it's simple enough to come up with a new logo and keep the uniform. I definitely see the value in continuity for a team that was the de facto champion and a fan base that was steadily warming to the product.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

If the USFL decides to move to home markets for 2023, I doubt there will be enough room for two spring football teams in Houston.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:07 pm If the USFL decides to move to home markets for 2023, I doubt there will be enough room for two spring football teams in Houston.
This would indicate to me that Houston has very little confidence in the USFL actually coming to Houston.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:10 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:07 pm If the USFL decides to move to home markets for 2023, I doubt there will be enough room for two spring football teams in Houston.
This would indicate to me that Houston has very little confidence in the USFL actually coming to Houston.
Time will tell but its the biggest TV market in the USFL South division so I don't think they will be abandoning it.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:24 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:10 pm
Time will tell but its the biggest TV market in the USFL South division so I don't think they will be abandoning it.
True but I can't see there being room for two Spring football teams in one city from two different leagues. There's only room for one.