FOX 26 Houston: XFL returning to Houston/TDECU Stadium

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: FOX 26 Houston: XFL returning to Houston/TDECU Stadium

Post by GregParks »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:29 am
4th&long wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:11 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:44 pm Just as, if not more important than drawing fans, there may not be enough corporate sponsorship to support 2 upstart Spring Football leagues. Secondary teams are always fighting over the scraps to begin with, but it becomes even harder to secure those lucrative deals as a new league in a new market.
Interesting - perhaps correct. Are you thinking TV sponsors or in stadium? The bottomline, these seasons are so short that they may be looking for more dates for local advertising. I mean its 5 home games.
Baseball is 81, Basketball 41, NHL is 41, MLS is 17, and NFL is 8/9.
I believe that sponsorship’s are going to be an area that XFL 3.0 is really going to focus on and improve on from XFL 2.0. Especially, if the monetary value isn’t what we had hoped for in the Disney agreement. As 4th mentioned about team rebranding, it’s about as many revenue streams as possible. With the Rock’s face and the background of DG and others, I wouldn’t be surprised if one of our future announcements from this league is a title sponsor of some sort.
It certainly doesn't hurt that the league was treated like a big deal in front of a room full of advertisers at the upfronts on Tuesday.
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:29 am I believe that sponsorship’s are going to be an area that XFL 3.0 is really going to focus on and improve on from XFL 2.0. Especially, if the monetary value isn’t what we had hoped for in the Disney agreement. As 4th mentioned about team rebranding, it’s about as many revenue streams as possible. With the Rock’s face and the background of DG and others, I wouldn’t be surprised if one of our future announcements from this league is a title sponsor of some sort.
Arena football tried title sponsorship and it did not go over well.

In 2020, two of the league's biggest sponsors, PepsiCo (Gatorade) and Anheuser-Busch (Bud Light Seltzer), weren't unveiled until days before the season began. In both cases, the product placement was more subtle (the seltzer chug, for example) and less intrusive than trying to slap a corporate name on something, which almost always triggers revulsion and backfires.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:33 am
Gopher123 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:29 am I believe that sponsorship’s are going to be an area that XFL 3.0 is really going to focus on and improve on from XFL 2.0. Especially, if the monetary value isn’t what we had hoped for in the Disney agreement. As 4th mentioned about team rebranding, it’s about as many revenue streams as possible. With the Rock’s face and the background of DG and others, I wouldn’t be surprised if one of our future announcements from this league is a title sponsor of some sort.
Arena football tried title sponsorship and it did not go over well.

In 2020, two of the league's biggest sponsors, PepsiCo (Gatorade) and Anheuser-Busch (Bud Light Seltzer), weren't unveiled until days before the season began. In both cases, the product placement was more subtle (the seltzer chug, for example) and less intrusive than trying to slap a corporate name on something, which almost always triggers revulsion and backfires.
I never cared for arena football so therefore I never followed it. Enlighten me as to how a title sponsor was bad for them.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

I don't think the AFL title sponsorship was bad, I don't recall anyone complaining about the Arenabowl "Sponsored by Net10 Wireless." It sold for close to $1 million if I recall correctly.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

2020? Did the IFL (would have had to have been after the AFL flatlined the previous fall) have one and I missed it? Either way, their season lasted two games before they shut down so I'm not sure if that was a negative.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MGB01 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:38 pm 2020? Did the IFL (would have had to have been after the AFL flatlined the previous fall) have one and I missed it? Either way, their season lasted two games before they shut down so I'm not sure if that was a negative.
2020, I was talking about the XFL. My bad on the ambiguous lingo. The AFL deal (with Net10) was 2012 to 2014.
Arlo99
Linebacker

Post by Arlo99 »

I could see the USFL moving the Houston franchise to another city they aren't in the city's where's they have fans in that city anyways. XFL has roots in Houston so they would win out in that market..
Wonder if a city like Nashville is better suited for a leauge like the USFL
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Arlo99 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:25 pm I could see the USFL moving the Houston franchise to another city they aren't in the city's where's they have fans in that city anyways. XFL has roots in Houston so they would win out in that market..
Wonder if a city like Nashville is better suited for a leauge like the USFL
I want the Gamblers in Austin, their logo makes them have to be in Texas.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

herns wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:46 pm I want the Gamblers in Austin, their logo makes them have to be in Texas.
Now we're talking.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:55 am
herns wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:46 pm I want the Gamblers in Austin, their logo makes them have to be in Texas.
Now we're talking.
Fox, Like XFL 2.0 is looking at TV ratings, Houston is a top 10 TV market.