KSDK: Dome in St. Louis sets aside five dates for potential BattleHawks return

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

KSDK: Dome in St. Louis sets aside five dates for potential BattleHawks return

Post by GregParks »

https://www.ksdk.com/article/sports/foo ... 53f85f4495

Not really much to the story other than St. Louis continues to be interested in a BattleHawks return such that they've reserved dates at the Dome for it. I don't know how you set aside five dates when you don't even know if the team is returning let alone know what the schedule is going to be (what if the schedule makers decide St. Louis won't get a home game one of those weekends they "set aside"?).
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Re: KSDK: Dome in St. Louis sets aside five dates for potential BattleHawks return

Post by Tank55 »

Surely the schedule makers start with the available dates and work backward?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: KSDK: Dome in St. Louis sets aside five dates for potential BattleHawks return

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:34 am Surely the schedule makers start with the available dates and work backward?
That's entirely possible. I just figured it would be a lot more difficult if you have to work around certain dates at each location (or in the case of St. Louis, only have five home dates to choose from for five home games). Doesn't leave you a lot of leeway when making the schedule.

Other factors like travel (probably want to limit cross-country travel), spreading out home games/away games, etc. for each team, saving divisional games for the end, etc. you would think would want to be considered when scheduling games, too. When St. Louis says "these are our five dates we're willing to host games," it makes all of the above a little more difficult. Beggars can't be choosers, maybe.
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

From @MarkBermanFox26 on Twitter:

"Source: The University of Houston (@UHouston) and TDECU Stadium will host games in the XFL when the league begins play in 2023.
@XFL2023
@UHCougars"
@gregmparks
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

GregParks wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:09 am From @MarkBermanFox26 on Twitter:

"Source: The University of Houston (@UHouston) and TDECU Stadium will host games in the XFL when the league begins play in 2023.
@XFL2023
@UHCougars"
That's a shock. There's several other places the Gamblers could play in around Houston, but I agreed with others here that there was an inter-league understanding about not competing in markets smaller than NYC.

I've deliberately walked around the Astros' Minute Maid Field in the past checking as to whether football could work there. It's tight in the corners, but the sightlines are not bad and you get air conditioning. The problem is the lack of turnaround time to re-do the field for a USFL schedule compared to the XFL playing mostly before the Astros' season. Teams are so much pickier about field conditions now than in the old multipurpose stadium days.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

super390 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:06 pm
GregParks wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:09 am From @MarkBermanFox26 on Twitter:

@XFL2023
@UHCougars"
That's a shock. There's several other places the Gamblers could play in around Houston, but I agreed with others here that there was an inter-league understanding about not competing in markets smaller than NYC.

I've deliberately walked around the Astros' Minute Maid Field in the past checking as to whether football could work there. It's tight in the corners, but the sightlines are not bad and you get air conditioning. The problem is the lack of turnaround time to re-do the field for a USFL schedule compared to the XFL playing mostly before the Astros' season. Teams are so much pickier about field conditions now than in the old multipurpose stadium days.
A baseball stadium is the last thing any of these spring leagues need as a venue.