XFL and USFL at the same time? Will it work?

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

XFL and USFL at the same time? Will it work?

Post by MarkNelson »

There is a chance both the XFL and USFL will be partially overlapping their seasons in 2023. How will that work? Will the two leagues shift to non-concurrent schedules? What is your take on this?
Last edited by MarkNelson on Tue May 17, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
herns
Head Coach

Re: XFL and USFL at the same time? Will it work?

Post by herns »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:21 pm There is a chance both the XFL and USFL will be partially overlapping their seasons in 2022. How will that work? Will the two leagues shift to non-concurrent schedules? What is your take on this?
I wouldn’t mind the USFL pushing it’s schedule back a little unless the late season numbers are really bad throughout the second half of the season (when the weather is at its best). but having overlapping schedules hurts both and that is not something I want
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

herns wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:26 pm
MarkNelson wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:21 pm There is a chance both the XFL and USFL will be partially overlapping their seasons in 2022. How will that work? Will the two leagues shift to non-concurrent schedules? What is your take on this?
I wouldn’t mind the USFL pushing it’s schedule back a little unless the late season numbers are really bad throughout the second half of the season (when the weather is at its best). but having overlapping schedules hurts both and that is not something I want
USFL would have to open on Mother's Day weekend (May 13-14) in that case, I don't see that happening.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:19 pm
herns wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:26 pm
USFL would have to open on Mother's Day weekend (May 13-14) in that case, I don't see that happening.
The winter/Early spring time frame is better for an independent league (ie not owned by a net) and even a hub. Winter is colder and there are way more people inside looking for something to watch vs May-June. TV viewership may lead to a Paying TV deal.
Spring/early sunmmer is better for a league needing gate revenue. Its warmer and mild for coming out to the games (at least mid latitude and up). If XFL is going to need gate revenue - it may be why we'll see more southern teams similar to AAF. But its also good time for a network esp as the inventory of sports available drops and there's time to fill. This is the thinking of USFL & NBC. The trade off is higher ratings.

Could USFL move back 2 weeks and end mid-July? Very possible, but only if the late June/July 3rd game do well.

As far as hub vs no hub? USFL is saving big time $$$ with the deal they have in Birmingham. Its rent free. That's huge . Also all the Workers comp ins is for one (southern, low cost to operate) state. No travel expenses, no sales staff. Look at the size of the XFL 2.0 CITY staffs. USFL is FB and broadcast 1st