XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Donnie woods (Brian woods brother) on the xfl tv deal

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:20 am
4th&long wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:21 am
MGB01 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:20 pm

And Seth clarifies himself that it's not necessarily a negative either. Of course you know who jumps in, it's essentially "JUST........STOP" at this rate. Even our old buddy from the UFLA days Nation Hahn is having enough of him.

He may not be in an official capacity, but this is getting back on the USFL at some point, they're lucky if Rock doesn't just snap back 'And how those ratings coming against my cousins, chief?'
The point is its not a paying deal, so someone has to be digging deep to pay the XFL bills. That's something the XFL was looking to avoid from the get go.
We don't know that.
No but if it was good for XFL, based on the way they hype things, they would have stated it or leaked it. Perhaps they will soon, but right now its being talked about as a similar to XFL 2.0 with perhaps some rev share after prod cost.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The USFL hasn't stated or leaked its deal with NBC. Should we also infer that it's not good?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:46 pm The USFL hasn't stated or leaked its deal with NBC. Should we also infer that it's not good?
They leaked they were getting paid though where the xfl has not. Now I would say is not hearing what the number is for the USFL from nbc would make me think it’s not a huge amount but it is paid non the less. If xfl was getting paid I would assume we would’ve heard it by now but hopefully I’m wrong and we hear they’re getting paid
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Danny Garcia went on record stating they were seeking a substantial rights fee, and RedBird was even rumored to drop the whole thing for a brief period of time before going "all in." I can't say with certainty there's a rights fee, but just based on the previous words and actions of this ownership, I don't believe they'd go forward if this deal was reminiscent of XFL 2.0. Perhaps it's something like $10 million up front, $20 million if they average 2 million viewers, $30 million for 2.5, etc. etc. Even if it's a 50-50 split that's still better than XFL 2.0 deal and exactly what NBC was doing with the NHL their first few years of broadcasts.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

herns wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:54 pm Now I would say is not hearing what the number is for the USFL from nbc would make me think it’s not a huge amount
OK, fair enough. I think inferring things from what we don't hear is fair game, I would just ask that the technique be applied even-handedly.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:04 pm Danny Garcia went on record stating they were seeking a substantial rights fee, and RedBird was even rumored to drop the whole thing for a brief period of time before going "all in." I can't say with certainty there's a rights fee, but just based on the previous words and actions of this ownership, I don't believe they'd go forward if this deal was reminiscent of XFL 2.0. Perhaps it's something like $10 million up front, $20 million if they average 2 million viewers, $30 million for 2.5, etc. etc. Even if it's a 50-50 split that's still better than XFL 2.0 deal and exactly what NBC was doing with the NHL their first few years of broadcasts.
To add to this, there was additional reporting by The Athletic at the time that said something to the effect of "this ownership group won't move a muscle until they have a significant rights deal." They've definitely made it clear that was their plan.

IF the XFL is not getting a substantial rights fee, the biggest question is: Why tie yourself to that deal for five years? It's the question I asked in my column that was posted late last night. If you're the XFL and you're not getting any rights fees (or a miniscule amount), wouldn't you want a short-term, prove-it deal to show that your league is sustainable, then cash in after two or three years? Unless perhaps the Disney deal is something like, no money in the first few years but the network can pick up the option after two or three years and when that kicks in, there's money in the back-end of the deal? I don't know.
@gregmparks
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:12 pm
herns wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:54 pm Now I would say is not hearing what the number is for the USFL from nbc would make me think it’s not a huge amount
OK, fair enough. I think inferring things from what we don't hear is fair game, I would just ask that the technique be applied even-handedly.
Definitely fair, I think both leagues are intentionally leaving things out to try and make both of their situations look a bit better than they maybe even though so far from what we know both are in good spots
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GregParks wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:17 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:04 pm Danny Garcia went on record stating they were seeking a substantial rights fee, and RedBird was even rumored to drop the whole thing for a brief period of time before going "all in." I can't say with certainty there's a rights fee, but just based on the previous words and actions of this ownership, I don't believe they'd go forward if this deal was reminiscent of XFL 2.0. Perhaps it's something like $10 million up front, $20 million if they average 2 million viewers, $30 million for 2.5, etc. etc. Even if it's a 50-50 split that's still better than XFL 2.0 deal and exactly what NBC was doing with the NHL their first few years of broadcasts.
To add to this, there was additional reporting by The Athletic at the time that said something to the effect of "this ownership group won't move a muscle until they have a significant rights deal." They've definitely made it clear that was their plan.

IF the XFL is not getting a substantial rights fee, the biggest question is: Why tie yourself to that deal for five years? It's the question I asked in my column that was posted late last night. If you're the XFL and you're not getting any rights fees (or a miniscule amount), wouldn't you want a short-term, prove-it deal to show that your league is sustainable, then cash in after two or three years? Unless perhaps the Disney deal is something like, no money in the first few years but the network can pick up the option after two or three years and when that kicks in, there's money in the back-end of the deal? I don't know.
Something along the lines of "2+3" makes the most sense to me. Even ESPN can only pay for so many properties: NFL (new contract kicks in next year), SEC (2024) and other conference packages, NHL, NBA (2025), their MLB deal is actually sort of a push since you exchange three nights a week of regular season games for a new ESPN-exclusive round of playoffs, MLS.

So I would guess the $320 million man will do exactly what he's done since day one-ish (take a line from his cousins), bet on himself in the short-term and the XFL goes from there--suggesting it is the XFL2.0 deal only this time there's money there at the end of two years and no renegotiation necessary.

The big problem with that strategy is all the sudden a question of focus: if one guy, is especially a non-player, is the face of the league (at the beginning anyway) then what else? Sure there's always the 'come for X/stay for Y' bit, but let's be honest: How many times does that realistically make it off the practice field? If Coach tweeted about these (which are I'm sure the ones Seth, Nation, Mike Mitchell, me, you and the rest of us hold) then that's totally fine, but to tweet something that comes off like tribal BS then don't waste my time.

But IRT the above, the guy that went from DIE ROCKY DIE to owning the world in 25 years will figure that out. Anyway that's another discussion entirely.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:29 pm
GregParks wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:17 pm

Something along the lines of "2+3" makes the most sense to me. Even ESPN can only pay for so many properties: NFL (new contract kicks in next year), SEC (2024) and other conference packages, NHL, NBA (2025), their MLB deal is actually sort of a push since you exchange three nights a week of regular season games for a new ESPN-exclusive round of playoffs, MLS.

So I would guess the $320 million man will do exactly what he's done since day one-ish (take a line from his cousins), bet on himself in the short-term and the XFL goes from there--suggesting it is the XFL2.0 deal only this time there's money there at the end of two years and no renegotiation necessary.

The big problem with that strategy is all the sudden a question of focus: if one guy, is especially a non-player, is the face of the league (at the beginning anyway) then what else? Sure there's always the 'come for X/stay for Y' bit, but let's be honest: How many times does that realistically make it off the practice field? If Coach tweeted about these (which are I'm sure the ones Seth, Nation, Mike Mitchell, me, you and the rest of us hold) then that's totally fine, but to tweet something that comes off like tribal BS then don't waste my time.

But IRT the above, the guy that went from DIE ROCKY DIE to owning the world in 25 years will figure that out. Anyway that's another discussion entirely.
I tend to agree with GP and MGB (mostly). Plus I just don't think the Rock has alot of skin in the game, but could gain a fair amount.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The tension between who the ownership group wants to be the face (Garcia), who the media/public wants to be the face (Johnson), and who actually matters (RedBird) is pretty fascinating.