Donnie woods (Brian woods brother) on the xfl tv deal

XFL Football discussion.
herns
Head Coach

Donnie woods (Brian woods brother) on the xfl tv deal

Post by herns »

Given his guaranteed bias to the USFL is say take it with a grain if salt but he says he’s heard the majority of games will be on ESPN +. He speculates that the TV deal to be about the same as 2020s but with a revenue split for ESPN +games

https://twitter.com/coachwoods/status/1 ... fxgrdE_eHA

https://twitter.com/coachwoods/status/1 ... fxgrdE_eHA
Last edited by herns on Tue May 17, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tank55
MVP

Re: Donnie woods (Brian woods brother) on the xfl tv deal

Post by Tank55 »

He said that he "could see a revenue share with ESPN+ component." He did not say that he's heard that.

I also see him asking Mike Mitchell for info on the deal on Twitter, so I doubt he has much inside info himself. He's just speculating. That doesn't mean he's wrong.

He's 100% right that the details matter a lot when judging this deal. I think it's notable that the XFL is talking about "through 2027" and ESPN is not. Hoping we get the full story. We still don't know the details of the USFL deal with NBC.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Accurate details of this deal will eventually come out, and the source won’t be anyone on Twitter. It will be leaked to a more mainstream source.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:08 pm He said that he "could see a revenue share with ESPN+ component." He did not say that he's heard that.

I also see him asking Mike Mitchell for info on the deal on Twitter, so I doubt he has much inside info himself. He's just speculating. That doesn't mean he's wrong.

He's 100% right that the details matter a lot when judging this deal. I think it's notable that the XFL is talking about "through 2027" and ESPN is not. Hoping we get the full story. We still don't know the details of the USFL deal with NBC.
My bad, poorly worded so I edited it. Wish we knew the NBC details for USFL and am really interested to see the ESPN details here
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:17 pm Accurate details of this deal will eventually come out, and the source won’t be anyone on Twitter. It will be leaked to a more mainstream source.
Idk about that, there’sa realistic chance mike Mitchell gets the scoop
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:08 pm He said that he "could see a revenue share with ESPN+ component." He did not say that he's heard that.

I'm also curious if Rock got a deal with Disney on a movie to sweeten the pot.

But on to the deal. ESPN PR says across ESPN properties. XFL says on ESPN. With out another partner, I see ESPN+ getting 10/43 minimum. ABC 3-5, ESPN 3-5, and the rest on ESPN and FX.

FX makes this just ODD. With ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 the need to bring FX in smells like they need to either beef up FX to be like TBS/TNT/USA for or they don't know where else to put it.

The $$ in this deal will be interesting. The bottomline is Rock/DG aren't financing the league so they call them the owners, but RBC is the main (real) owner.

Also I'm a little surprised NFLN wasn't in the mix. I think there association with the NFL is over played now.
Last edited by 4th&long on Tue May 17, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:34 pm

I'm also curious if Rock got a deal with Disney on a movie to sweeten the pot.

But on to the deal. ESPN PR says across ESPN properties. XFL says on ESPN. With out another partner, I see ESPN+ getting 10/43 minimum. ABC 3-5, ESPN 3-5, and the rest on ESPN and FX.

FX makes this just ODD. With ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 the need to bring FX in smells like they need to either beef up FX to be like TBS/TNT/USA for or they don't know where else to put it.

The $$ in this deal will be interesting. The bottomline is Rock/DG aren't financing the league so they call them the owners, but RBC is the main (real) owner.
If it’s heavy with espn+ and FX then I take back my it’s a good deal stance lol
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

I can't see more than 3-5 games being on ESPN+ exclusive. I'd assume a weekly ABC broadcast, one game of the week on ESPN mother network, and the rest split between ESPN 2 and FX. What's more important is the time slots. If the XFL can secure a steady 3pm Sunday time slot on any network weekly that is a huge win.

I think we'll see ESPN+ utilized primarily for "all access" shows, pre/post game interviews, and maybe an Inside the XFL type broadcast. This ownership group has been adamant about being a year-round league so expect more of the behind the scenes content on ESPN+
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Well it looks like Donnie Woods got what he intended, since his tweets read like firing the first shot, course it's not as if the USFL is totally out of the woods (pun not intended, but definitely directed)--they will have to go to market and find ownership groups, where'd A-Rod go anyway?

And, honestly, this wasn't the best week for the USFL to be talking. It couldn't be worse if you had Tony Khan.

This reminds me of the CFL spiking the ball last year, and where are they? Oh yeah 78% of the league is on strike. and the other 22% will be with them by the end of the week (and even when they strike a deal they'll just be back here in 3-4 years anyway). The point? The CFL wasn't any better off than the XFL was last year, and the USFL isn't now.

An ABC/ESPN-heavy schedule just wasn't going to happen, but they might be better off in the long term if they can get the promotion and arrangement down, I haven't seen that from the USFL (your #6 and #8 teams against an NBA playoff game 7 for example), let's see what the schedule is.

But bad tweet by Woods here, can you at least look like you're not simping?
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

MGB01 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:12 pm Well it looks like Donnie Woods got what he intended, since his tweets read like firing the first shot, course it's not as if the USFL is totally out of the woods (pun not intended, but definitely directed)--they will have to go to market and find ownership groups, where'd A-Rod go anyway?

And, honestly, this wasn't the best week for the USFL to be talking. It couldn't be worse if you had Tony Khan.

This reminds me of the CFL spiking the ball last year, and where are they? Oh yeah 78% of the league is on strike. and the other 22% will be with them by the end of the week (and even when they strike a deal they'll just be back here in 3-4 years anyway). The point? The CFL wasn't any better off than the XFL was last year, and the USFL isn't now.

An ABC/ESPN-heavy schedule just wasn't going to happen, but they might be better off in the long term if they can get the promotion and arrangement down, I haven't seen that from the USFL (your #6 and #8 teams against an NBA playoff game 7 for example), let's see what the schedule is.

But bad tweet by Woods here, can you at least look like you're not simping?
He isn’t part of the USFL in any role other than being related to Brian Woods but I get what you mean I just wouldn’t test it as USFL said what he’s saying. I wasn’t/am not expecting to hear anything about ownership groups until mid offseason. I hope USFL moves the schedule back so there’s no overlap between leagues because I want them both to work, I also do think the XFLs presence forces the USFL to have to start spending next year, OCT-DEC will be one of the most interesting moments in alt football history