XFL announcement TV exclusive with Disney

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: XFL announcement TV exclusive with Disney

Post by GDAWG »

It will be interesting to see who covers games for ESPN. Except for maybe Diana Russini (who if I remember correctly did sideline reporting for XFL 2.0), I can't see any of their other NFL personalities doing it. I would actually like to see ESPN use a lot of their college football folks do the XFL, as Fox has done with Joel Klatt for USFL. I don't mean Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit as Kirk will be super busy with NFL Thursday Night Football on Amazon and College Football on Saturday's for ESPN. I would like to see Reese Davis, Jesse Palmer, Desmond Howard and David Pollack as the studio guys. I don't remember who did the games for ESPN in 2020, but I would guess most of those guys would be back. Pat McAfee would not be an option because he's working for WWE now and XFL games would conflict with his WWE schedule, especially if the games are on Sundays when the WWE has a PPV event he has to work. He's not skipping next year's Wrestlemania to commentate a random XFL game on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

I am also not expecting everyone who works at ESPN to be positive about the XFL. I highly expect Chris Russo on First Take to bash the league while Stephen A Smith will take a more measured approach about how he's skeptical about the league's chances but the Rock is involved with the XFL and he doesn't usually fail.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:22 pm It will be interesting to see who covers games for ESPN. Except for maybe Diana Russini (who if I remember correctly did sideline reporting for XFL 2.0), I can't see any of their other NFL personalities doing it. I would actually like to see ESPN use a lot of their college football folks do the XFL, as Fox has done with Joel Klatt for USFL. I don't mean Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit as Kirk will be super busy with NFL Thursday Night Football on Amazon and College Football on Saturday's for ESPN. I would like to see Reese Davis, Jesse Palmer, Desmond Howard and David Pollack as the studio guys. I don't remember who did the games for ESPN in 2020, but I would guess most of those guys would be back. Pat McAfee would not be an option because he's working for WWE now and XFL games would conflict with his WWE schedule, especially if the games are on Sundays when the WWE has a PPV event he has to work. He's not skipping next year's Wrestlemania to commentate a random XFL game on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

I am also not expecting everyone who works at ESPN to be positive about the XFL. I highly expect Chris Russo on First Take to bash the league while Stephen A Smith will take a more measured approach about how he's skeptical about the league's chances but the Rock is involved with the XFL and he doesn't usually fail.
I remember Steve Levy was one for ESPN.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Gopher123 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:34 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:22 pm It will be interesting to see who covers games for ESPN. Except for maybe Diana Russini (who if I remember correctly did sideline reporting for XFL 2.0), I can't see any of their other NFL personalities doing it. I would actually like to see ESPN use a lot of their college football folks do the XFL, as Fox has done with Joel Klatt for USFL. I don't mean Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit as Kirk will be super busy with NFL Thursday Night Football on Amazon and College Football on Saturday's for ESPN. I would like to see Reese Davis, Jesse Palmer, Desmond Howard and David Pollack as the studio guys. I don't remember who did the games for ESPN in 2020, but I would guess most of those guys would be back. Pat McAfee would not be an option because he's working for WWE now and XFL games would conflict with his WWE schedule, especially if the games are on Sundays when the WWE has a PPV event he has to work. He's not skipping next year's Wrestlemania to commentate a random XFL game on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

I remember Steve Levy was one for ESPN.
Steve Levy is going to do secondary Monday Night Football Games and probably college football.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

I agree, I was just giving you a name in response to you saying you couldn’t remember who did games for ESPN in 2020.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Gopher123 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:45 pm I agree, I was just giving you a name in response to you saying you couldn’t remember who did games for ESPN in 2020.
Tom Hart, who's on the SEC Network, was the other one. Keep in mind they'll have two more teams, so they'll probably draw down coverage
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:37 pm Steve Levy is going to do secondary Monday Night Football Games and probably college football.
In February?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:43 am
GDAWG wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:37 pm Steve Levy is going to do secondary Monday Night Football Games and probably college football.
In February?
No but Levy does do the NHL on ESPN, which means he will not be available for XFL.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:23 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:43 am
In February?
No but Levy does do the NHL on ESPN, which means he will not be available for XFL.
Well remember he did do the Kraken home opener two nights before also doing Saints/Seahawks on MNF.

So if say he did a game on ABC Saturday in Vegas, DC, or St. Louis, and that first Sunday is there it could happen. Not likely but as a one-time or part-time (see Gus Johnson and Aaron Goldsmith doing NFL on FOX last year).
4th&long
MVP

Re: XFL Deal?

Post by 4th&long »

Would Disney sign a paying deal w/o knowing what cities the league has or is at least targeting?
CFLfan_inPhilly
Running Back

Post by CFLfan_inPhilly »

GregParks wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:03 pm Rock has made Disney movies before...I don't think he needs to hold the XFL over their heads to make another one.
And let me make this perfectly clear!
If you don't promote Rashad Ross as the next Jerry Rice across all your platforms,
then I will never never ever make another movie with....
Hello?

Hello?