XFL announcement TV exclusive with Disney

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: XFL announcement TV exclusive with Disney

Post by GDAWG »

Through 2027 is a bit risky. I would have done a 2 year deal to see what happens because there's always a chance that the XFL might not see that whole TV deal.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:08 pm Through 2027 is a bit risky. I would have done a 2 year deal to see what happens because there's always a chance that the XFL might not see that whole TV deal.
Risky for the XFL or Disney? Less of a risk for Disney—there's so much content out there that if the XFL does run out of money and go belly up, it can easily be replaced (more college basketball for example). The XFL bears the risk of the longer deal—remember that it got locked into a three year deal with no rights fee. Great for exposure but not so much for revenue needed to keep going.

You have to think the XFL is getting paid this time.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:06 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:08 pm Through 2027 is a bit risky. I would have done a 2 year deal to see what happens because there's always a chance that the XFL might not see that whole TV deal.
Risky for the XFL or Disney? Less of a risk for Disney—there's so much content out there that if the XFL does run out of money and go belly up, it can easily be replaced (more college basketball for example). The XFL bears the risk of the longer deal—remember that it got locked into a three year deal with no rights fee. Great for exposure but not so much for revenue needed to keep going.

Likely, but how much? Or is it Revenue sharing ? And what contingencies.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

4th&long wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:10 pm

Likely, but how much? Or is it Revenue sharing ? And what contingencies.
I would really have to think it's pretty significant, at least in the last couple years. I can't imagine they'd tie themselves down to a 5 year deal if they weren't getting paid well.
St. Louis BattleHawks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

XFL. Why sign a 5 year contract when there's a chance they may not last that long? That's highly optimistic from XFL management, that they think they will see the entire contract.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: XFL announcement Disney Official Press Rel

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:47 am
The issue here is that in 2020 ABC did not have the NHL deal. So they do have competing sports internally for air time and they are paying $400mm a year for NHL.

So what is this deal worth? What guarantees did Disney get from XFL ie funding, and vice versa?
I think only the Stanley Cup finals are aired on ABC. Not sure about next year, but few if any NHL regular season games are aired on the main network.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

"Why sign a 5 year contract when there's a chance they may not last that long? That's highly optimistic from XFL management, that they think they will see the entire contract."

Why not? If the league folds they declare bankruptcy like any other league. Disney/ABC/ESPN will all live to fight another day. You think Steve Young is still collecting his 30 year contract from the original USFL?
4th&long
MVP

Re: XFL announcement Disney Official Press Rel

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:01 pm
4th&long wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:47 am
The issue here is that in 2020 ABC did not have the NHL deal. So they do have competing sports internally for air time and they are paying $400mm a year for NHL.

So what is this deal worth? What guarantees did Disney get from XFL ie funding, and vice versa?
I think only the Stanley Cup finals are aired on ABC. Not sure about next year, but few if any NHL regular season games are aired on the main network.
Well there definitely are games on ABC. I posted an article on the board on it.

>> On the Disney networks, the NHL averaged 469,000 viewers for 16 games on ESPN and 856,000 viewers for 10 on ABC. Linear viewership is a small part of the story, however, as regular-season hockey is primarily a digital play for Disney. <<

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3532&start=20
4th&long
MVP

Re: XFL -Disney - Rock deal connection?

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.essentiallysports.com/wwe-x ... aladdin-2/

>> The spring football league is set to begin to play in 2023. Also, with a third try to set this league on a big stage, they’ve Disney and ESPN as partner TV deals. However, this new deal between Disney and XFL has pointed toward the rumors of Johnson replacing Will Smith in Aladdin.
Is this new deal with Disney a hint about Dwayne Johnson replacing Will Smith?

A few days back, a rumor popped up in Hollywood about Dwayne Johnson replacing Will Smith for the role of Genie in the Aladdin sequel. Moreover, it is also reported that Disney already started talks with Johnson over an undisclosed major movie project. Looking at the collection of the first part of Aladdin, the sequel seems to be a major movie project. <<

Leveraging Rock star power for an XFL deal has always sounded (IMO) the way this was going to happen. Let's see.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I've never even heard of that website. And based on its 1,620 Twitter followers, most people haven't. Seems like we're digging real deep here to try to make this connection. Rock has made Disney movies before...I don't think he needs to hold the XFL over their heads to make another one.
@gregmparks