Inexperienced Coaches

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Inexperienced Coaches

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:15 pm I think it's largely because there is a vision here in what Garcia and Johnson are trying to do. With so much attention going on with the Rooney Rule and the Brian Flores lawsuit, plus Deion Sanders and his success at the HBCU level, they want to provide opportunities for "minority" candidates with playing backgrounds to prove themselves at a pro level. I don't object to that.

The original XFL's vision was to find guys who had already proven themselves at the NFL, CFL or major college levels. The exception was Hayes, and all of us scratched our head at that hiring because it didn't fit what McMahon was trying to do—but often the less experienced coaches do quite well, just as Hayes had done.

I mean, if we were talking about guys who had washed out of the college ranks, I'd be less impressed.
I wouldn't call Anthony Becht a minority candidate.

I think who they hire as assistant coaches will make or break these inexperienced coaches. Becht, Woodson and Ward need experienced assistants or else they probably won't ever be head coaches again. As I have said prior, all three have connections to veteran coaches either as players or assistant coaches.