XFL Showcase locations, dates announced

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL Showcase locations, dates announced

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:37 am @GregParks, do you happen to know what the "graduation" rate was from the XFL 2.0 showcases? What percentage of guys who attended ended up being drafted?
I'll try to look into that tonight and get back to you.
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

So I have about 28% of players who attended Showcases (based on the information provided by the league, which wasn't always 100% accurate) having been drafted in the initial XFL Draft and the Supplemental Draft. About 40% of those drafted in the initial XFL Draft and Supplemental Draft attended a Showcase.

I have just shy of 900 players total who attended Showcases, which would be a little over 100 participants per Showcase.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GregParks wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:05 pm So I have about 28% of players who attended Showcases (based on the information provided by the league, which wasn't always 100% accurate) having been drafted in the initial XFL Draft and the Supplemental Draft. About 40% of those drafted in the initial XFL Draft and Supplemental Draft attended a Showcase.

I have just shy of 900 players total who attended Showcases, which would be a little over 100 participants per Showcase.
Very interesting. Thank you for digging that out.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Isn't one of the primary reasons for having a tryout fee to simply weed out any non-serious participants? I don't have a problem with it at all if it restricts attendees to those really serious about it. As we all know, it costs money to put these showcases on and there is absolutely nothing wrong with helping to defer your costs to have a relevant and productivev showcase.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

If you go to showcases.XFL.com, you'll see that both the June 17th DC Showcase, and the July 24th Dallas Showcase are now listed as "limited spots remain."
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I wonder who the QB's will be who attend these showcases. I sort of remember the clusterf*** surrounding a few of the QB's who attended the 2020 showcases, most notably Ryan Mallett and Trevone Boykin. Both got arrested and never even got a sniff of the XFL after they tried out at the showcases. Boykin is in prison and Mallett is retired and a high school football coach in Arkansas.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GDAWG wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:40 pm I wonder who the QB's will be who attend these showcases.
Based on the names compiled by Sam Just over at XFLNewsHub (https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-sho ... ix-events/), there don't seem to be many recognizable names (notable is Geremy Hickbottom, who I spotlighted in my XFL Pro Day article here: https://xflboard.com/news/xfl-pro-day-t ... -and-more/).

The only names I recognize, largely, are those who played in the XFL in 2020. Because these are not invitation-only, you'll have a lot more players under-the-radar than those who were invited to Showcases in 2019. That's the nature of the difference in how this new management group is approaching these Showcases.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GregParks wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:46 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:40 pm I wonder who the QB's will be who attend these showcases.
Based on the names compiled by Sam Just over at XFLNewsHub (https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-sho ... ix-events/), there don't seem to be many recognizable names (notable is Geremy Hickbottom, who I spotlighted in my XFL Pro Day article here: https://xflboard.com/news/xfl-pro-day-t ... -and-more/).

The only names I recognize, largely, are those who played in the XFL in 2020. Because these are not invitation-only, you'll have a lot more players under-the-radar than those who were invited to Showcases in 2019. That's the nature of the difference in how this new management group is approaching these Showcases.
I would not be at all surprised if the QB focus in the XFL will be those that will be released from NFL training camps that do not end up on Practice Squads. The XFL could also sign some lower level free agents among the current NFL crop like James Morgan (released by the Colts after they signed Nick Foles), Garrett Gilbert (released by Raiders), Chris Streveler (released by Dolphins) and Anthony Gordon (released by Chiefs). Those four fit the XFL mold, although the XFL could get a bit ambitious and try to see if Jake Fromm, AJ McCarron, Mike Glennon, Blake Bortles and Josh Rosen want to play for them. Those nine QB's plus Cam Newton and Ryan Fitzpatrick are the remaining free agents left and Cam still wants to play in the NFL and Fitzpatrick is probably going to retire. At best, those showcase QB's will probably be backups or 3rd stringers.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GregParks wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:08 pm If you go to showcases.XFL.com, you'll see that both the June 17th DC Showcase, and the July 24th Dallas Showcase are now listed as "limited spots remain."
DC and Dallas are now "sold out" while "limited spots remain" for the other two open tryouts in Florida and Arizona.
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GregParks wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:40 pm
GregParks wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:08 pm If you go to showcases.XFL.com, you'll see that both the June 17th DC Showcase, and the July 24th Dallas Showcase are now listed as "limited spots remain."
DC and Dallas are now "sold out" while "limited spots remain" for the other two open tryouts in Florida and Arizona.
Arizona is now sold out as well. The only remaining open showcase with spots available is Florida.
@gregmparks