*Invitation only

https://www.xfl.com/xfl-latest-news/xfl ... ted-states
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Tank55
MVP

Re: XFL Showcase locations, dates announced

Post by Tank55 »

XFL 2.0's showcases were all invitation-only, I think? These have a $250 signup fee, or $410 to include video services. I always think these pay-to-try-out deals are super scummy, to be honest.

Glad to see D.C. on the list! That bodes very well for the return of the Defenders.

Interesting to see Arizona included. I wonder if that's still being considered as a potential market. If you can't land Allegiant Stadium in Vegas, and you are unwilling to go into California, Phoenix seems like a viable back up plan out west.

A bit surprised that the Florida showcase is in the greater Tampa Bay area rather than Orlando. Maybe the Vipers aren't dead after all.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Or, let's put it this way. If you are expecting two of your 2023 teams to be Orlando and Vegas, why would you put your showcases in the Phoenix and Tampa areas? That doesn't make any sense.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:46 am XFL 2.0's showcases were all invitation-only, I think? These have a $250 signup fee, or $410 to include video services. I always think these pay-to-try-out deals are super scummy, to be honest.
I agree, but it's not surprising: Johnson and Garcia have talked about wanting players to chase their dreams and things like that. It would be the kind of story this league is looking for if someone comes out of nowhere to star for the league or even make a team's roster. It will be interesting to see if these mostly attract long-shots like that, or legit talented former NFL/major college football players. Some of the higher-end players should have enough tape to where they should be able to be considered for the draft without having to work out at one of these tryouts.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:52 am Or, let's put it this way. If you are expecting two of your 2023 teams to be Orlando and Vegas, why would you put your showcases in the Phoenix and Tampa areas? That doesn't make any sense.
If the Bandits actually play in Tampa in 2023, a third pro football team in Tampa seems unlikely. It will be Orlando.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I'm not sure how much to read into these showcase locations in terms of where the XFL may be in markets in 2023. I know they did that in 2020, but I don't think they're going for that here.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:46 am XFL 2.0's showcases were all invitation-only, I think? These have a $250 signup fee, or $410 to include video services. I always think these pay-to-try-out deals are super scummy, to be honest.

Glad to see D.C. on the list! That bodes very well for the return of the Defenders.

Interesting to see Arizona included. I wonder if that's still being considered as a potential market. If you can't land Allegiant Stadium in Vegas, and you are unwilling to go into California, Phoenix seems like a viable back up plan out west.

A bit surprised that the Florida showcase is in the greater Tampa Bay area rather than Orlando. Maybe the Vipers aren't dead after all.
Hmmm, TSL got a rash of sh#t for not paying players (most were uncharged). Now XFL is charging... $410 just to try out? Hmmm. USFL didn't charge anyone to get drafted.

- This is the New XFL !
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GregParks wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:17 pm I'm not sure how much to read into these showcase locations in terms of where the XFL may be in markets in 2023. I know they did that in 2020, but I don't think they're going for that here.
I'm certainly not expecting a team in Honolulu or Jackson. But if you're planning on running a Florida showcase, why wouldn't you put it in your Florida city?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:30 pm
GregParks wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:17 pm I'm not sure how much to read into these showcase locations in terms of where the XFL may be in markets in 2023. I know they did that in 2020, but I don't think they're going for that here.
I'm certainly not expecting a team in Honolulu or Jackson. But if you're planning on running a Florida showcase, why wouldn't you put it in your Florida city?
Regardless of the reason, I'm not really sure it matters, either? Especially if that city isn't going to be the base of operations for that team anyway (if they go the all operations based in Dallas, fly out to your home city to play type hub).
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GregParks wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:52 am
It will be interesting to see if these mostly attract long-shots like that, or legit talented former NFL/major college football players.
As a follow-up, there is an FAQ page up for the tryouts: https://www.showcases.xfl.com/faq

It says that no more than four years may have elapsed from the player's last college or pro football game for them to be eligible to tryout. There are some other caveats, too. So it's not a real "open" tryout in the most literal sense.
@gregmparks