Questions about a potential XFL TV rights deal? Post them here

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Questions about a potential XFL TV rights deal? Post them here

Post by GregParks »

I'm going to be interviewing someone who has a lot of knowledge about the television rights landscape as it pertains to sports - the Q&A will be posted in my next column. If anyone has any questions about the potential XFL TV rights deal or anything related to it, post them here in this thread, and I'll add them to my list of questions. I'll probably be sending the questions to him Friday-ish, so you can post as many questions here as you want up until that point.
@gregmparks
Firecop
Coach

Re: Questions about a potential XFL TV rights deal? Post them here

Post by Firecop »

Crikey, where to even begin...
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:47 pm I'm going to be interviewing someone who has a lot of knowledge about the television rights landscape as it pertains to sports - the Q&A will be posted in my next column. If anyone has any questions about the potential XFL TV rights deal or anything related to it, post them here in this thread, and I'll add them to my list of questions. I'll probably be sending the questions to him Friday-ish, so you can post as many questions here as you want up until that point.
What is the expected rights value - TV and/or streaming of a league package for avg TV ratings of 1mm viewers across 43 games both with a 50/50 split on broadcast/cable.

What discount would they apply for an upstart league ?

And what factors would be in play to make a deal for an upstart league ? e.g. financial guarantees
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

- What are some of the things that a broadcast partner might look for beyond just ratings? Or to ask another way -- are all 2.0 national ratings (or whatever) made equal?

- Does it make sense to be talking about an XFL broadcast specifically as a sports property? Or is it just another television property that happens to be a football game?

- Beyond money, what are the most important variables to be negotiated? For example, flexibility of when the games are scheduled? Maybe even the markets the teams are in?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

How does the USFL factor into discussions? If the USFL survives into next season, will that weaken the market for a potential XFL TV deal, or will other players like ESPN be MORE eager to have a piece of the spring football pie and double down on the XFL?
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I guess my number 1 question/concern is: Is this going to be an exclusive deal or one where the games will be spread around on several types of medium/providers?
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:38 pm How does the USFL factor into discussions? If the USFL survives into next season, will that weaken the market for a potential XFL TV deal, or will other players like ESPN be MORE eager to have a piece of the spring football pie and double down on the XFL?
Good question Johnny.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'll do my best to include as many questions as I can. I plan on sending the questions to him tonight, so if you have any others, post them here this morning/afternoon if you can!
@gregmparks
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Assuming ESPN/ABC, then what does that look like? The NBA grabbed up ABC spots left and right (kind of like the old NBC tripleheaders that David Stern was once adamant on avoiding), and there's no NHL break this year. Will it be a mix of linear TV/streaming, more towards the latter, or still more towards the former?
Uncle Coaster
Receiver

Post by Uncle Coaster »

How important is scheduling to a deal? Is a deal more valuable to the league if a broadcaster can put your product on the same station at the same time every week?