Questions about a potential XFL TV rights deal? Post them here

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Questions about a potential XFL TV rights deal? Post them here

Post by MarkNelson »

When negotiating a deal, how much cachet is given to the Rock’s star power? Is there an intangible value there?
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Uncle Coaster, while game times may vary, wouldn't you think a single broadcast platform would be preferable?
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Uncle Coaster
Receiver

Post by Uncle Coaster »

Firecop wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:09 am Uncle Coaster, while game times may vary, wouldn't you think a single broadcast platform would be preferable?
That’s kind of my question. How much value does the consistent time have compared to everything else?

Personally, I probably put more value in the time than most do. If a game is always on at 1:00 pm then I know when to be home. For example, on Saturday I spent five-ten minutes looking for a USFL game only to find out that it started 30 minutes later. My Dad started looking for it 30 minutes after it started. I’m someone who wants spring football to succeed and lurks on this forum daily and I still struggled to find it. There’s got to be some value in familiarity.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Uncle Coaster wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:54 pm
Firecop wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:09 am Uncle Coaster, while game times may vary, wouldn't you think a single broadcast platform would be preferable?
That’s kind of my question. How much value does the consistent time have compared to everything else?

Personally, I probably put more value in the time than most do. If a game is always on at 1:00 pm then I know when to be home. For example, on Saturday I spent five-ten minutes looking for a USFL game only to find out that it started 30 minutes later. My Dad started looking for it 30 minutes after it started. I’m someone who wants spring football to succeed and lurks on this forum daily and I still struggled to find it. There’s got to be some value in familiarity.
Definitely agree
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I guess I'm a bit the opposite. I am used to morning games, afternoon games and night games and adjusting for all the EST and PST time starts. What I am looking for is a consistent platform as to where to find the games. It also gives the advantage of not having to have multiple streaming platforms on which to watch the games.
Uncle Coaster
Receiver

Post by Uncle Coaster »

I don’t think what you are saying is the opposite of what I’m saying. I just guess I’m not being very clear.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

No worrues, all I was trying to say Coaster is that a single standard platform is of the most importance to me, standard game times are secondsry.
Loogan
Kicker

Post by Loogan »

Are some streaming platforms better than others? For example Peacock isn’t working for the USFL because many don’t subscribe. But Netflix has way more subscribers. Might it work for the XFL?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Loogan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:13 pm Are some streaming platforms better than others? For example Peacock isn’t working for the USFL because many don’t subscribe. But Netflix has way more subscribers. Might it work for the XFL?
Netflix doesn't do live sports and also is on a downturn.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:09 am
Loogan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:13 pm Are some streaming platforms better than others? For example Peacock isn’t working for the USFL because many don’t subscribe. But Netflix has way more subscribers. Might it work for the XFL?
Netflix doesn't do live sports and also is on a downturn.
Netflix doesn't have the infrastructure to handle live events—it's programmed for VOD and deliberately releases its shows in the middle of the night to minimize its bandwidth. The fact that they didn't even mention going for sports content as a response to dwindling subscribers should say everything about their plans. It's never going to happen.

So that leaves the network-streamers (ESPN+, HBO Max, Peacock, Paramount+), free-streamers (Pluto, Xumo, Tubi, Stirr, LocalNow, Twitch), social media streamers (Youtube, Facebook, Twitter), and the vertically integrated Big Tech conglomerates (Apple, Amazon). Apple and Amazon have generally been the most aggressive in landing sporting events. The social media streamers have the broadest audience but are also free, meaning you're going to have a hard time monetizing any streaming deal through them. The free-streamers have the same problem AND aren't as widely spread (though I see Pluto has a following)—they do have the benefit of network backing in most cases, which is good if you want a combined broadcast/streaming deal.