Questions about a potential XFL TV rights deal? Post them here

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Questions about a potential XFL TV rights deal? Post them here

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:02 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:09 am
Loogan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:13 pm Are some streaming platforms better than others? For example Peacock isn’t working for the USFL because many don’t subscribe. But Netflix has way more subscribers. Might it work for the XFL?
Netflix doesn't do live sports and also is on a downturn.
Netflix doesn't have the infrastructure to handle live events—it's programmed for VOD and deliberately releases its shows in the middle of the night to minimize its bandwidth. The fact that they didn't even mention going for sports content as a response to dwindling subscribers should say everything about their plans. It's never going to happen.

So that leaves the network-streamers (ESPN+, HBO Max, Peacock, Paramount+), free-streamers (Pluto, Xumo, Tubi, Stirr, LocalNow, Twitch), social media streamers (Youtube, Facebook, Twitter), and the vertically integrated Big Tech conglomerates (Apple, Amazon). Apple and Amazon have generally been the most aggressive in landing sporting events. The social media streamers have the broadest audience but are also free, meaning you're going to have a hard time monetizing any streaming deal through them. The free-streamers have the same problem AND aren't as widely spread (though I see Pluto has a following)—they do have the benefit of network backing in most cases, which is good if you want a combined broadcast/streaming deal.
Shareholder activism will straighten them out. Need live sports to survive. $140 billion in market value evaporation out of $220 billion. That's over 60% - I posted they better wake up and get sports before s##t hits fan. 2 Days later they lost 20%, a month or 2 after they lost another 30% (from high) and still bleeding.

Amazon and Apple like you say are aggressive, and will remain so. They have the $$$ to do so. I could even see Amazon or Apple making a play for Netflix.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Sorry folks, looks like the interview fell through. Just as well as it would feel dated given the news of yesterday. Appreciate the feedback though. My apologies again.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:13 pm Sorry folks, looks like the interview fell through. Just as well as it would feel dated given the news of yesterday. Appreciate the feedback though. My apologies again.
Thats a shame, I was looking forward to it even more so as there's no details given.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

I was playing around with a schedule (since I'm mirroring my sim league to it) which would have at least two Sunday games on ABC, as well as maybe prime time for the opener (no NBA that week, All-Star Game on TNT). The wildcard wouldn't necessarily be the NHL, it'd be the women's tournament which they aired the last two years. You wonder if it was merely replacement programming for what would have been the final two years of the XFL deal.

I pair them up for about six weeks, then move to the NHL's spot once their season ends (assuming the weekend of April 1-2).

For ESPN Sunday night games until MLB shows up?

FX can used either/or, when ESPN is doing NBA or NCAAB, more preferably to hide off the 6/7/8 teams so that you aren't putting them on opposite say Ohio State vs Villanova (hint hint)