SA-BJ: XFL facing greater challenge if USFL fails

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

SA-BJ: XFL facing greater challenge if USFL fails

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/ ... fails.html

>> XFL facing greater challenge if USFL fails

If USFL officials are unconcerned about the initial box office figures, viewing Birmingham as a studio for the league’s nationally televised games, the early ratings should be disappointing. The league’s debut broadcast on April 16 drew some 3 million viewers. Two days later, fewer than 270,000 fans on average tuned in to watch what the USFL had to offer in prime time.

If the XFL — which still hasn’t confirmed which cities will have teams or where they will play — is rooting for the USFL’s demise, that’s a slippery strategy. Eventually, fatigue will set in among fans and networks who are unwilling to give another spring league a try after so many have failed.

On the other side of the coin, if the USFL can find its footing, correct some mistakes and build an audience, that might give the XFL more life, yet less space in which to maneuver.<<

I agree with this at least directionally - I do think however he's over stating issues with USFL's start.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: SA-BJ: XFL facing greater challenge if USFL fails

Post by laxtreme56 »

I actually agree with this. I also feel the AAF attempt to Co*k block the XFL hurt the 2020 version as well. Without the AAF collapse I'd bet that opening XFL game draws north of 4 million viewers. The AAF failure made some potential fans shrug their shoulders and say "oh well here we go again."
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:03 pm I actually agree with this. I also feel the AAF attempt to Co*k block the XFL hurt the 2020 version as well. Without the AAF collapse I'd bet that opening XFL game draws north of 4 million viewers. The AAF failure made some potential fans shrug their shoulders and say "oh well here we go again."
You’re 100% right, and then with xfl 2020 going down (even though it was from Covid) that’s something spring football is going to have to overcome, I think another 1 and done would be really bad for the spring football market in the public eye
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:32 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:03 pm I actually agree with this. I also feel the AAF attempt to Co*k block the XFL hurt the 2020 version as well. Without the AAF collapse I'd bet that opening XFL game draws north of 4 million viewers. The AAF failure made some potential fans shrug their shoulders and say "oh well here we go again."
You’re 100% right, and then with xfl 2020 going down (even though it was from Covid) that’s something spring football is going to have to overcome, I think another 1 and done would be really bad for the spring football market in the public eye
Agreed, agreed.

Which is why its a shame USFL can't leverage the TSL's 2021 season (we know why they could not). Because the TSL launched on time, played every game and its SUCCESS birthed the USFL (a big step towards XFL/AAF like league while cost effective). And I think the EVP is just level setting expectations to their customers/viewers so they can focus on the fun and not sweat the details.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Disagree—to a point.

IF the XFL comes back looking substantially similar to the 2020 version—most of the teams in the same cities with the same names, similar rules, similar TV presentation—it will have an advantage over leagues like the AAF and (if it is abandoned) USFL in that it actually came back for a second season. That will be what separates the XFL from the fly-by-night brands.

The more that Garcia & Co. brings back from the original league, the better odds the XFL will have. We all know why the XFL was forced out of business, and it had nothing to do with business—the same issues forced the NBA, NHL and MLB to shut down for months as well. So far, I'm encouraged.

But eventually the issue will come down to how much money they can afford to spend. The XFL lost less money relative to what it brought in than most leagues of its type.

As for whether the AAF helped or hurt the XFL—I think, in a way, it helped. When the AAF bought that airtime from CBS for the inaugural game and got 3 million viewers on a Saturday night, it proved that, even with its already known questionable financial practices, the idea of a winter football league was a viable TV product. If it didn't, we likely wouldn't have the XFL or the USFL.
kantiger
Rookie

Post by kantiger »

I agree he's overstating the USFL issues. They needed to get going, avoid travel costs, etc, so they did the hub system with only games vs. Birmingham having any attendance, which isn't exactly shocking. I have watched every game but the one on Peacock, and I find it enjoyable. It is a good thing for the league that Birmingham is doing well as they will likely see attendance go up which will help, and I've noticed they have basically put the Stallions on Saturdays always - smart move. They would be smart to get the 8 teams into college stadiums next year as attendance will go up. THey're smart to go with the cheap ticket option as they just need people in the stadium, first, and really make it family friendly in that regard.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

For me the USFL did for the most part what they needed to do to really get themselves back to becoming a thing this past weekend, mostly centering around UBF. I haven't been a fan of it, but they did a really good job with the last one, as it was the most game-centric they've had, and really set up the first place showdown well. Maybe the FOX DH helped (as NBC will have as well, though it's a day night DH instead of a traditional one, on 5/21), but they're on track.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

While XFL 3.0 may compete with the USFL in areas such as talent in terms of coaches and players and even possibly venues and cities; I think their real competition will be with XFL 2.0. When taken in its entirety, the 2.0 version was pretty much an overall success. Red Bird Capital and company, will be hard pressed to improve on the previous model and run the risk of actually diminishing the brand. Hopefully they will bear that in mind and not hyper focus on the USFL and instead, on thoughtfully and strategically striving to make a good product even better.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

That's a good point. XFL 2.0 had to work really hard to distinguish itself from XFL 1.0. In a similar sort of way, if XFL 3.0 comes in with a stripped down version, it's really going to suffer from comparison.

The good news is that XFL 2.0 also was pretty successful in rehabilitating the image of the letters. XFL 3.0 hopefully won't have to downplay things in the same way.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

This may, at least partially, explain the re-branding with the new logo.
@gregmparks