Dean Blandino on Let's Talk XFL Podcast

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Dean Blandino on Let's Talk XFL Podcast

Post by GregParks »

Dean Blandino was on the Let's Talk XFL podcast with Michael Lathrop (who, in the "small world" department, went to the same high school I did in a tiny NY town, just a few years ahead of me) yesterday and talked about XFL 2023. Not a ton of breaking news but a couple pieces I found interesting:

-He expects to get input on new/continuing rules from the new head coaches
-He was interested in joining the new ownership group from the start but it was Russ Brandon who reached out to him to return
-Called the XFL 2020 rules "a good foundation" and that they're not looking to "reinvent the wheel." Minor tweaks rather than major changes. Sounds like they're looking more to incorporate different technology and player safety into the rules as opposed to many major changes
-Talked about looking at what all sports leagues, including the USFL and non-football leagues, are doing from a technology and rules standpoint. Interesting conversation related to the chip in the ball that the USFL has
-From a technology standpoint, says he wants the game still to look and feel like football, but they want to do things on the broadcast that the NFL and college don't do
-Command center and sky judge, as well as centralized replay, are being looked at for 2023

-Feedback Blandino got from fans is not that the game is too long, but that there are too many starts and stops. The priority seems to be game flow rather than actually shortening the game (though one goes hand in hand with the other). How do fans want to watch the game in 2023? What's important to them? That's the key he says
-As far as the tempo of gameplay, they don't want to go TOO fast where the play is sloppy or players are being put in danger
-RE the relationship with the NFL: He called it a "partnership" and a "collaboration" (used that word three times, actually). Suggested rule change proposals that get voted down in the NFL could be tested out in the XFL. Will be using officials from the Official Development Program, same as XFL 2020.
-Was asked about the potential of Sam Schwartzstein returning: "I don't know what's going on there" was part of his response as he sort of stumbled for an answer. Hmmm.
-Referred to Dany Garcia as the league's "North Star"

https://twitter.com/letstalkxfl
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Re: Dean Blandino on Let's Talk XFL Podcast

Post by Tank55 »

GregParks wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:15 pm -Feedback Blandino got from fans is not that the game is too long, but that there are too many starts and stops. The priority seems to be game flow rather than actually shortening the game (though one goes hand in hand with the other). How do fans want to watch the game in 2023? What's important to them? That's the key he says
-As far as the tempo of gameplay, they don't want to go TOO fast where the play is sloppy or players are being put in danger
This is a great distinction. The short play clock is great unless it's leading to a bunch of rushed plays / delay of games.

I don't know the right way to write the rule, but I'd be open to a more flexible play clock outside of end of half play. Maybe shut the clock off at five seconds and give the officials some discretion on when to actually blow the whistle.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Gopher123
Quarterback

Re: Dean Blandino on Let's Talk XFL Podcast

Post by Gopher123 »

I’m quite relieved that they are planning on staying with the basic rules foundation of 2020 without making major changes. I feared the XFL would lose it’s authenticity if this new group wanted to really change the rules format to make it their own. Or change the way the games are played entirely off of what the NFL wants them to experiment with. Some tweaks and minor changes I’m fine with, just don’t get carried away and ruin what was working.