City speculation

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: City speculation

Post by GregParks »

Boy the idea of a team in Mexico City, Toronto, or elsewhere outside the United States certainly whimpered out.

In fact, the only time the word "international" is used in the press release unveiling the league's new brand identity was when talking about the partnership with the NFL and one of its areas of focus being in "international football development." I wonder if the financials/logistics were a barrier to entry this early on, especially for a league reportedly considering a hub in year one.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GregParks wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:34 pm Boy the idea of a team in Mexico City, Toronto, or elsewhere outside the United States certainly whimpered out.

In fact, the only time the word "international" is used in the press release unveiling the league's new brand identity was when talking about the partnership with the NFL and one of its areas of focus being in "international football development." I wonder if the financials/logistics were a barrier to entry this early on, especially for a league reportedly considering a hub in year one.
The Canada thing didn't work out when the CFL decided not to partner with them. Besides, CFL fans will demand the Canadian Football Act be finally law and for Justin Trudeau to sign it into law to prevent any American leagues (NFL, XFL, any Indoor leagues) from putting teams in Canada if the XFL decides to go back to the Canadian well in the future. I get why Canadians were upset when merger talks began though. The CFL's rules make them unique and stand out and any attempts at making it 11 players, 100 yard fields and 4 downs would be seen as destroying what makes the CFL unique. 3 downs, 110 yard fields, 12 players, the rouge, the Canadian ratio all make the CFL unique. Take that all away and the CFL becomes NFL Canada.

Mexico might be a matter of security concerns that I don't think ownership wants to deal with.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

If they're so upset maybe they'll start, you know, going to games again
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Breaking it down by cities Rock won world titles, the big three out of the gate are:

St. Louis
Las Vegas
Washington

Maybe:

San Jose (only if you can figure out a stadium and CA isn't too death-sentence-ish)
New York, Phoenix, Boston (see above first condition)

No chance:

Fresno (not as a pro market)

Detroit and Birmingham are eliminated by being in use/ideally will be