The Rock on MNF

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: The Rock on MNF

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:48 pm It's not something that excites me personally, but the NFL partnership qualifies as big news, imo.
Test rules is a big deal... ? Really? How does that help the XFL business wise or on the field? I guess I'm missing it.

The NFL could easily ask the USFL to test rules, the FXFL did it. The TSL did it for XFL btw.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:21 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:02 am Wasn't the MNF Jan 17 with a "2-3 - Roughly" before big news announcement.

It's going on week 8, and no I don't think a deal saying will be a test bed for NFL rules changes but no access to players - is a big deal. It's good for PR but it needs to be much more than that to be note worthy. Something may come out but it hasn't yet.
Be honest with yourself, though: if the USFL had made the exact same announcement, you'd be hyping it up like the biggest news since sliced bread.
Let's be honest... No I wouldn't if they got a paying NFLN deal or an investment? Yes. Though even that smells minor league It would be something tangible.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

I think the NFL deal also includes coaching and referee development. While financials haven't been disclosed yet, I'd be surprised if the NFL doesn't write out a check to test these concepts on the XFL. Having the NFL "blessing" in of itself is huge, this is what the AAF was hoping for all along.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:58 am I think the NFL deal also includes coaching and referee development. While financials haven't been disclosed yet, I'd be surprised if the NFL doesn't write out a check to test these concepts on the XFL. Having the NFL "blessing" in of itself is huge, this is what the AAF was hoping for all along.
No, AAF. was hoping to have players assigned from NFL at their costs and more monetary assistance
in fact its why Dundon bailed when they could not

XFL is not getting players from NFL they made that clear

they may get some small $ for the refs but i bet its just at cost
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Yea, the AAF wanted a system similar to that of MLB and MiLB, that usn't happening here. It is more accurately the previous XFL/TSL relationship as previously mentioned.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Here's an interesting article.

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/nfl-xfl-col ... ation.html

>> The NFL-XFL “collaboration on innovation opportunities” has clear benefits for the XFL, but what about for the NFL?

This "collaboration" may not wind up meaning much, but it's an interesting step for the NFL beyond their past approach to other football leagues.

Of course, at this point, this agreement is only just words, and more of them are coming from the XFL side than the NFL side. The NFL doesn’t appear firmly committed to anything specific. And this may never lead to much. But it’s at the very least interesting to see the NFL offering more recognition of another league than what we usually see from them. And there is maybe a chance that this could lead to something tangible. <<

It was great PR for XFL for sure, but what it means in real terms? not so sure
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

What it means for the NFL is year-round football (provided the USFL and XFL make it), a vision of Goodell's years back, it was sometime between the lockout and when Cuban started babbling about pigs and hogs--he's such a Trump wannabe.

Now obviously they can only go so far, and there's only so much Total Access/A Football Life you can have. We're gonna have wall-to-wall draft and FA coverage, as well as four months of how Russell Wilson will make the Broncos a dynasty (when he couldn't with the guy who replaced Nathaniel Hackett's dad at SC and with better rosters), but it's not quite the same as actual leagues and actual games now is it? It's why NFL Network had Arena and the CFL in 2010-11.

The NFL wants to generate about 25-30 billion eventually, if an unofficial triad is the way to do it they will.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:35 am What it means for the NFL is year-round football (provided the USFL and XFL make it), a vision of Goodell's years back, it was sometime between the lockout and when Cuban started babbling about pigs and hogs--he's such a Trump wannabe.

Now obviously they can only go so far, and there's only so much Total Access/A Football Life you can have. We're gonna have wall-to-wall draft and FA coverage, as well as four months of how Russell Wilson will make the Broncos a dynasty (when he couldn't with the guy who replaced Nathaniel Hackett's dad at SC and with better rosters), but it's not quite the same as actual leagues and actual games now is it? It's why NFL Network had Arena and the CFL in 2010-11.

The NFL wants to generate about 25-30 billion eventually, if an unofficial triad is the way to do it they will.
No clear what you are saying - how does NFL benefit from XFL and USFL in your thinking?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

What I just said about a year-round business op, which they pretty much are already, only with actual leagues being being played. Obviously the NFL can't literally play the whole year, so here's the way to do it.

Bumping them up to UFC/WWE status as far operations go, only they dwarf both (combined) in revenue.

The NBA and MLB sort of do the same deal with the summer leagues, fall leagues, WNBA, winter ball..........but that's kind of a thing for three seconds if anything. So here's the NFL's turn, which they've made small attempts here and there over the years already just full bore, without the official D thing that nobody likes or wants.

So while their longest continuous broadcast network partner owns one league, they'll make sure Dwayne Johnson can lure investors and secure the other (and could again involve their longest running broadcast partner)
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:59 am What I just said about a year-round business op, which they pretty much are already, only with actual leagues being being played. Obviously the NFL can't literally play the whole year, so here's the way to do it.

Bumping them up to UFC/WWE status as far operations go, only they dwarf both (combined) in revenue.

The NBA and MLB sort of do the same deal with the summer leagues, fall leagues, WNBA, winter ball..........but that's kind of a thing for three seconds if anything. So here's the NFL's turn, which they've made small attempts here and there over the years already just full bore, without the official D thing that nobody likes or wants.

So while their longest continuous broadcast network partner owns one league, they'll make sure Dwayne Johnson can lure investors and secure the other (and could again involve their longest running broadcast partner)
You lost me - not sure how that benefits the NFL. If XFL and USFL are not iwned by NFL they aren't getting the benefit.