The Rock on MNF

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: The Rock on MNF

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 am NFL.com posted The Rock's XFL segment from last night. While going full on NFL developmental league may not be ideal, (and likely not Rock/Garcia/Red Bird plans anyway) befriending the most powerful league on the planet can only be good for business. https://www.nfl.com/videos/dwayne-the-r ... ure-of-xfl
Coexistence is good. Cooperation is workable.

Subservience would be a disaster for all parties involved.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

the XFL (and also USFL) would be better off letting players play the full season and then at the end of the season allow them to explore NFL options if they have any. I mean if one of the leagues creates a star player and he gets interest from the NFL, neither league should block him from signing with the NFL. If he doesn't make it on an NFL roster, he can return to that league. Blocking players from getting NFL opportunities would not be a good look for either league.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:27 pm the XFL (and also USFL) would be better off letting players play the full season and then at the end of the season allow them to explore NFL options if they have any. I mean if one of the leagues creates a star player and he gets interest from the NFL, neither league should block him from signing with the NFL. If he doesn't make it on an NFL roster, he can return to that league. Blocking players from getting NFL opportunities would not be a good look for either league.
The XFL 2.0 did just that - so did AAF - the only limit was to other AltFB-Leagues. TSL which WAS a true DEV league of course had no such restriction.

Agreed that blocking players would not work and like AAF/XFL 2.0 - I do not see that happening in USFL 2.0 or XFL 3.0 other than during their respective seasons.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:00 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 am NFL.com posted The Rock's XFL segment from last night. While going full on NFL developmental league may not be ideal, (and likely not Rock/Garcia/Red Bird plans anyway) befriending the most powerful league on the planet can only be good for business. https://www.nfl.com/videos/dwayne-the-r ... ure-of-xfl
Coexistence is good. Cooperation is workable.

Subservience would be a disaster for all parties involved.
i think that sums it up well.

However this may have more to do with NFLN than NFL player dev - we just don't know yet, should know in 2-4 weeks.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I don't care that 99% of XFL/USFL players are hoping to become NFL players. I care whether the primary goal of a team is to win the championship or whether it's to develop players for another league. These are broadly complementary, so it's fine to play up both. But at some points they will be at odds, and it's important a league knows what it's trying to be.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:21 pm I don't care that 99% of XFL/USFL players are hoping to become NFL players. I care whether the primary goal of a team is to win the championship or whether it's to develop players for another league. These are broadly complementary, so it's fine to play up both. But at some points they will be at odds, and it's important a league knows what it's trying to be.
Extremely well stated :idea: and that's why I prefer - Alt League vs Minor league or Dev league
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:21 pm I don't care that 99% of XFL/USFL players are hoping to become NFL players. I care whether the primary goal of a team is to win the championship or whether it's to develop players for another league. These are broadly complementary, so it's fine to play up both. But at some points they will be at odds, and it's important a league knows what it's trying to be.
Part of me thinks that's why the XFL (and I hear the USFL is considering the same) included the win bonus, to make sure competing for team wins wasn't lost in the wash of trying to singularly impress scouts. For players, you usually don't reach this level of professional sports without having the drive to win games, no matter what other outside factors may play into things.

EDIT: I'm also kind of curious as to what situations you would find these two ideas to be "at odds." I can't remember where I read or heard it - it may have been an interview with Jonathan Hayes - but he noted that had the XFL completed its season, Kenny Robinson would have pulled out early to prepare for the NFL Draft. I think you'd likely see the same with others who are draft-eligible if they join the XFL. So...the XFL would've allowed Robinson to put his NFL interests ahead of winning games. Does that mean XFL 2.0 was developmental? Or is this just one, unique situation that doesn't reflect on the larger principles of the league? I think there's much more of a gray area here than a league being "developmental or not."
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 pm
Part of me thinks that's why the XFL (and I hear the USFL is considering the same) included the win bonus, to make sure competing for team wins wasn't lost in the wash of trying to singularly impress scouts. For players, you usually don't reach this level of professional sports without having the drive to win games, no matter what other outside factors may play into things.

EDIT: I'm also kind of curious as to what situations you would find these two ideas to be "at odds." I can't remember where I read or heard it - it may have been an interview with Jonathan Hayes - but he noted that had the XFL completed its season, Kenny Robinson would have pulled out early to prepare for the NFL Draft. I think you'd likely see the same with others who are draft-eligible if they join the XFL. So...the XFL would've allowed Robinson to put his NFL interests ahead of winning games. Does that mean XFL 2.0 was developmental? Or is this just one, unique situation that doesn't reflect on the larger principles of the league? I think there's much more of a gray area here than a league being "developmental or not."
Interesting I did not hear that - I thought what I heard was XFL players were free agents "AFTER" the season contract ended sometime in May. Now KR was the 1 3rd yr college guy so maybe that was an exception.

Recall that all but the championship game was prior to Draft day.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:41 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:27 pm the XFL (and also USFL) would be better off letting players play the full season and then at the end of the season allow them to explore NFL options if they have any. I mean if one of the leagues creates a star player and he gets interest from the NFL, neither league should block him from signing with the NFL. If he doesn't make it on an NFL roster, he can return to that league. Blocking players from getting NFL opportunities would not be a good look for either league.
The XFL 2.0 did just that - so did AAF - the only limit was to other AltFB-Leagues. TSL which WAS a true DEV league of course had no such restriction.

Agreed that blocking players would not work and like AAF/XFL 2.0 - I do not see that happening in USFL 2.0 or XFL 3.0 other than during their respective seasons.
And if both leagues tell the NFL "I know you are interested in our players, but wait until the end of our season" the NFL will do that. That happens in the CFL.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:59 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:41 pm

And if both leagues tell the NFL "I know you are interested in our players, but wait until the end of our season" the NFL will do that. That happens in the CFL.
EXACTLY - Good point