XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
MVP

Re: List of Potential XFL Head Coaches

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:59 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:56 pm
GDAWG wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:30 pm

Sure, if you want your USFL team to go 4-6 for three straight years.
So he's the best HC in Michigan! :lol: :lol:

He's a big name so give the USFL credit there.
He is the biggest name in the USFL. But he should never coach in the NFL again, because teams don't want to go 8-9 or 7-9-1 for 4 years in a row.
If he hasn't coached in the NFL since 2016, and he's in his 60s, that's a pretty good indicator he's not going back. Then again the league's rife with teams that haven't even been good enough to do that you never know (and Jim Caldwell's interviewing but those are mostly time-wasters)

Just be glad they didn't hire Adam Gase.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Seeing as how he's suing the NFL, how about Brian Flores?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -policies/
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Sure, if you wanna go back to 2001 mode--I'm sure Rock wouldn't mind there in that he was champion for five weeks going into Wrestlemania, left to go film Scorpion King (his first starring role), and then had another run as champ when he came back (albeit with the Big Gold Belt), but that's probably the only 2001 revisitation he would care to do.

Besides this lawsuit should be nothing more than a story for 24 hours. Going down this rabbit hole does nothing for the league other than prompt speculation that Vince McMahon is still involved as the shadow man.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Now that all NFL head coaching openings have been filled, the assistant hires are coming fast and furious. Trying to keep the first post as updated as I can.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:54 pm Now that all NFL head coaching openings have been filled, the assistant hires are coming fast and furious. Trying to keep the first post as updated as I can.
On a side note - I think the Texans screwed up. Maybe they had wanted Flores but he ruined himself, done in NFL.

Culley wasn't anything to get excited about (he's like a Kirby or Hayes type hire a lowcost safe bet) but he did get the team playing all year long and now they owe him for his full contract and they end up with Lovie Smith. I think he's past his expire date and seems like lateral move that just cost them millions. With Watson around their necks I don't see them making a splash hire until that's resolved. I would have kept Culley.
On a plus note - Pep is now OC.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:45 am
GregParks wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:54 pm Now that all NFL head coaching openings have been filled, the assistant hires are coming fast and furious. Trying to keep the first post as updated as I can.
On a side note - I think the Texans screwed up. Maybe they had wanted Flores but he ruined himself, done in NFL.

Culley wasn't anything to get excited about (he's like a Kirby or Hayes type hire a lowcost safe bet) but he did get the team playing all year long and now they owe him for his full contract and they end up with Lovie Smith. I think he's past his expire date and seems like lateral move that just cost them millions. With Watson around their necks I don't see them making a splash hire until that's resolved. I would have kept Culley.
On a plus note - Pep is now OC.
They were going to hire Josh McCown, the former NFL QB with zero coaching experience outside of being a volunteer coach at his son's high school in Texas. The Flores Lawsuit forced them to hire Lovie Smith instead because they would have been torched for hiring McCown. Had it not been for the lawsuit, Josh McCown would have been the new Texans coach.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Not necessarily, they might have hired Jonathan Gannon

I have no idea what Flores is trying to get at here. He's PO'd at Ross (understood) but also seemingly Belichick (?????). Plus he made Daboll, his staffmate for four years, out to be just another white coach fast-tracked to the top

Also, by keeping Smith they also promoted Pep Hamilton to OC, there's that
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:36 am Not necessarily, they might have hired Jonathan Gannon

I have no idea what Flores is trying to get at here. He's PO'd at Ross (understood) but also seemingly Belichick (?????). Plus he made Daboll, his staffmate for four years, out to be just another white coach fast-tracked to the top

Flores is done in NFL IMO. Suing usually doesn't end in employment.

As far as McCown, he should take an OC or QB coaching job in USFL so he has some coaching under his umbrella. The USFL would love it and he would benefit. It's certainly helped Pep and Jay Gruden.

I still say Houston was better off with Culley, the Texans burn thru money like a hot knife thru butter.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:57 pm
MGB01 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:36 am Not necessarily, they might have hired Jonathan Gannon

As far as McCown, he should take an OC or QB coaching job in USFL so he has some coaching under his umbrella. The USFL would love it and he would benefit. It's certainly helped Pep and Jay Gruden.

I still say Houston was better off with Culley, the Texans burn thru money like a hot knife thru butter.

Culley was given a bad situation and the Texans proved they never were serious about him by making him a scapegoat after one year. IMO, he did a respectable job, kept the team playing hard until the end of the year. Yes, he deserved to keep his job. I think he has a chance to be in the XFL as he was a qb coach in Buffalo at the end of Brandon’s run there.

I also agree Flores is done in the NFL at least for the foreseeable future. Maybe it’s time to put his name on the potential XFL coach list. He is the only person the league (Whaley) has shown interest in publicly. Also, now that Jim Caldwell is still available, he would be a good add to the list as well.
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

Gopher123 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:13 am
4th&long wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:57 pm

Culley was given a bad situation and the Texans proved they never were serious about him by making him a scapegoat after one year. IMO, he did a respectable job, kept the team playing hard until the end of the year. Yes, he deserved to keep his job. I think he has a chance to be in the XFL as he was a qb coach in Buffalo at the end of Brandon’s run there.

I also agree Flores is done in the NFL at least for the foreseeable future. Maybe it’s time to put his name on the potential XFL coach list. He is the only person the league (Whaley) has shown interest in publicly. Also, now that Jim Caldwell is still available, he would be a good add to the list as well.
You can't believe the fan hostility in Houston towards the Texans organization now. We literally are grateful any time that the people in charge DON'T make the stupidest choice imaginable. When even the Fox radio sports guys are bashing the owner for seeming to tolerate an Evangelical Christian bias in Texas, you know it's bad. As soon as we heard that McCown was an active Evangelical, we all said, resignedly, "yep, he's Jack Easterby's boy, we're screwed." Personally, I think Easterby conflates Evangelicalism with positive attitude. Culley was nothing but a cheerleader, so he didn't need to be a pastor to pass muster. But the ugly side of that was the accusation that Easterby conspired to harass the team's best athletes out of Houston. Especially DeAndre Hopkins. But not J.J. Watt. It seems that if you're Black AND outspoken (as top players tend to be) Easterby suddenly concludes that you have a "bad attitude" and that's unforgivable.

What was unforgivable about David "Good Attitude" Culley was routine game management decisions. He apparently just didn't know how to call plays or deal with the clock, until late in his first season. So for the Texans to swing from Culley to McCown who had even less experience was offensive. We're breathing a sigh of relief for Lovey Smith even as the creeping realization grows that he's got no future.