List of Potential XFL Head Coaches

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: List of Potential XFL Head Coaches

Post by GregParks »

Gopher123 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:48 pm
GregParks wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:17 am I guess we can put a bow on this thread. Finally tally: Three XFL head coaches hired from the list in the first post.
Not necessarily. We can keep it going but instead of potential head coaches it would be potential assistant coaches. It would suit these more inexperienced coaches well if they had some veteran assistants.
That's a good point, and one I thought about last night: wondering if some of the more inexperienced head coaches will opt for more veteran coordinators to help guide them, or even if veteran coaches who appear on this list will want to (a) take part in the XFL and (b) take on a role that isn't a head coach.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

It remains to be seen what Wade does with his staff. But you do worse than offering June Jones a spot as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator. It’s an unlikely pairing. But fun to imagine.
https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-202 ... d-coaches/
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:50 am
It remains to be seen what Wade does with his staff. But you do worse than offering June Jones a spot as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator. It’s an unlikely pairing. But fun to imagine.
https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-202 ... d-coaches/
Or would we see an up-and-comer, much as you could get since they've all got college or NFL jobs, in the vein of his son Wes (new Vikings OC)?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

If I were one of these XFL coaches looking for an OC, I'd pay very close attention to the success June Jones and Steve Spurrier had in the AAF and XFL. Simple, fun offenses that players can pick up quickly and enjoy running.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:50 pm If I were one of these XFL coaches looking for an OC, I'd pay very close attention to the success June Jones and Steve Spurrier had in the AAF and XFL. Simple, fun offenses that players can pick up quickly and enjoy running.
I would think that the lesser experienced coaches in Woodson, Becht and Ward would consider them. Ward has somewhat of a connection to Spurrier via the AAF but has no connection to June Jones. Woodson and Becht do not have that connection either. Woodson did play for Brian Billick in Baltimore, so he might bring Billick in as Billick has returned to coaching at Arizona State.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:50 pm If I were one of these XFL coaches looking for an OC, I'd pay very close attention to the success June Jones and Steve Spurrier had in the AAF and XFL. Simple, fun offenses that players can pick up quickly and enjoy running.
Which is exactly why I was disappointed neither got a head coaching role in either league. They might pass on it but they would definitely be worth a call.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:29 pm
I would think that the lesser experienced coaches in Woodson, Becht and Ward would consider them. Ward has somewhat of a connection to Spurrier via the AAF but has no connection to June Jones. Woodson and Becht do not have that connection either. Woodson did play for Brian Billick in Baltimore, so he might bring Billick in as Billick has returned to coaching at Arizona State.
Or Marvin Lewis, who was the one who switched him to FS and revitalized his career (not that he was he was bad with the Niners and his first year as a Raven), putting him back in the Pro Bowl for the first time since he left Pittsburgh.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:48 pm Which is exactly why I was disappointed neither got a head coaching role in either league. They might pass on it but they would definitely be worth a call.
Agreed, both are definitely perfect fits as HCs in these leagues.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Updated to include today's XFL coaching hires.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

I have a feeling Haslett is going to be either 1 or 2 in this league. He and Jones have Alt FB experience galore and that has paid off in these Alt leagues.

Next - Stoops whoe has XFL 2.0, along with the Hayes brothers. That helps.