XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: REP: Apple to spend millions on live sports content

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:36 pm
herns wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:20 pm
GDAWG wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:33 pm

Netflix doing live sports would be weird.
I honestly think they’d do a great job though.
Not saying they wouldn't, it would just be weird.
Isn't it weird that Amazon and Apple are? The whole thing is strange.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:33 pm Netflix doing live sports would be weird.
I don't think that Netflix really wants to go that route. One, unlike Amazon, they don't have any infrastructure to do live events. Their entire system is built upon VOD and they'd have to do some overhauling to manage such a change.

Two, live sports are expensive. Even with as much content as they have, Netflix is still under $20 a month, which is about what the ESPN networks get from cable providers. If they were going to go live into sporting events, it'd have to go with the Big Four leagues to maintain its market-leading position, and likely raise its subscription prices exponentially. So it makes more sense for Netflix to stay in its lane and stick to peripheral content.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:27 pm
GDAWG wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:33 pm Netflix doing live sports would be weird.
I don't think that Netflix really wants to go that route. One, unlike Amazon, they don't have any infrastructure to do live events. Their entire system is built upon VOD and they'd have to do some overhauling to manage such a change.

Two, live sports are expensive. Even with as much content as they have, Netflix is still under $20 a month, which is about what the ESPN networks get from cable providers. If they were going to go live into sporting events, it'd have to go with the Big Four leagues to maintain its market-leading position, and likely raise its subscription prices exponentially. So it makes more sense for Netflix to stay in its lane and stick to peripheral content.
ESPN gets no where near $20 a month from cable providers.
https://www.spglobal.com/marketintellig ... s-networks

NF can easily adapt especially if they team up with a tradional broadcaster on a package. With a Mkt cap in the $240 billion range they can afford getting into sports no prob. Look at Fox and CBS - mkt caps in the $22billion range.
The question is WHEN will they need it.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:08 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:27 pm

NF can easily adapt especially if they team up with a tradional broadcaster on a package. With a Mkt cap in the $240 billion range they can afford getting into sports no prob. Look at Fox and CBS - mkt caps in the $22billion range.
Add in ESPN2, SEC Network, ACC Network, and ESPN3 rights for broadband... and it comes close to Netflix's entire subscription fee (which is somewhere around $15 last I checked). Either way, it'd be a huge shock to Netflix's ecosystem to try to get into that battle.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:02 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:27 pm I don't think that Netflix really wants to go that route. One, unlike Amazon, they don't have any infrastructure to do live events. Their entire system is built upon VOD and they'd have to do some overhauling to manage such a change.

Add in ESPN2, SEC Network, ACC Network, and ESPN3 rights for broadband... and it comes close to Netflix's entire subscription fee (which is somewhere around $15 last I checked). Either way, it'd be a huge shock to Netflix's ecosystem to try to get into that battle.
Based on the link above the strict ESPN properties are south of $10 a month and with ESPN managed SEC/ACC likely south of $12. NF just raised to $15.49

And I'm not saying NF wouldn't up charge for a Sports Pkg - Just like CABLE. Its in line with my thoughts on streaming - its just a fancy way of saying cable TV that's carrier independent - meaning it can be accessed via any cable (internet) service vs say Comcast cable or FIOS. Or HBOMax is carrier independent vs HBO which is provided only through your cable company.

So NF could easily make the change IMO and will before their Stock prices takes a hit less they end up like CBS or FOX with a small market cap.

On a side note - get ready for Streaming content with commercials - you know its coming.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:06 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:02 pm

Based on the link above the strict ESPN properties are south of $10 a month and with ESPN managed SEC/ACC likely south of $12. NF just raised to $15.49

And I'm not saying NF wouldn't up charge for a Sports Pkg - Just like CABLE. Its in line with my thoughts on streaming - its just a fancy way of saying cable TV that's carrier independent - meaning it can be accessed via any cable (internet) service vs say Comcast cable or FIOS. Or HBOMax is carrier independent vs HBO which is provided only through your cable company.

So NF could easily make the change IMO and will before their Stock prices takes a hit less they end up like CBS or FOX with a small market cap.

On a side note - get ready for Streaming content with commercials - you know its coming.
Well sometimes I do call them right, how is that for timimg? - HUGE hit to NF market cap. Saw that coming. That eschewed live sports and now it may be too late.